Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sight Picture Problem/Question... (Read 11563 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Sight Picture Problem/Question...
Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:53am
Print Post  
With aperture sights I find that these days I have use OTC clear eye drops after each string or things get fuzzy. Think it is the natural drying of the the eyes as we age. Lots of drops and lots of blinking seem to work. I've found it has to the be the clear OTC eye drops and not the "get the red" type of eye drops, which seem to make the fuzzy worse after an hour or two. YMMV.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I have seen a grey filter suspended in my rear aperture since 2006. I used to try to blow it out. Then I discovered I saw the same thing in all iron sights. I have shot HP across the course for 40 years. I did learn to deal with it.  In HP I use an aperture front and rear. I concentrate on the front aperture and accept what I see for the bull and center it.   I suspected cataracts.  I told my ophthalmologist. He said no. Then in 2009  he said the cataracts were just starting. This month I had my right  cataract remove. Vision is improved and so is light. this week I will have the left eye done. I am impatient for everything to heal and get new glasses. 
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
don1885,

As I posted above, my trouble has become worse in between the last couple of matches.

No amount of adjusting the rear iris or aperture changes has helped. Nothing has changed on my tube sight and I have the same exact problem looking through the other tube sights in our group. Even looking through just the iris with it removed from the tube I have the same problem.

All the advise about plumbing rear sights, aperture sizes, etc. is good information but has nothing to do with what I'm experiencing with my tube sight. 

I should mention that no one else I shoot with has this problem while using their tube sights so it definitely is something that's going on with my eyes.

I'm concerned about what my eye exam may reveal, but I sure don't want to give up shooting iron sight matches. 

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
I didn't want to give up iron sight matches either and I can still shoot them, BUT what is the point of shooting 235 with a 242 -/+ possible in idea conditions?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bigbore52

Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Following recent eye surgery I too experienced the same problem and discussed it with my surgeon. I had never worn eye glasses prior. He said it was similar to looking through a pair of glasses that were sitting a few inches in front of you - the focal length has shifted and consequently depth of view altered so objects were no longer in focus and especially looking through a tight aperture compounded the issue - he advised that a pair of lenses cut to a specific focal distance was a start and then letting your eyes adjust to them over time. You will need to ascertain what focal length best suits looking through particular sights and this is where you'll need to measure things on your rifle so you know the distance between your eye and the aperture etc. I would strongly recommend you discuss your problem with an optometrist as you'll find it a fairly common issue with us older folk  Grin

It worked for me to some degree but first up start by aligning everything on your rifle to what the sight makers specify prior to getting lenses made and taking measurements (as often the optometrist will ask you what focal distance suits you say for reading or watching tv etc) that includes setting the sights vertical to the barrel and the ocular at the correct size to allow you some vision through it unaided. Measure the distance from your eye in normal shooting position and that's your starting reference with a known distance for the optometrist to work with.....this way is much easier than taking your long arm in to their surgery for them to check the measurements while you line up the reading charts with your smoke pole.. Tongue 

The lens they made me is specific for my Sharps with Soule sights and Hadley eye piece - those glasses stay with the rifle as they are not much good for normal reading through them - different focal point.....but know your eyesight will probably never return to what is was once but in time and with the correct lens prescription (if needed) you should eventually overcome the limitations you now experience or at least understand the problem and learn to live with it - just another reason to get to the range more but this time its for medical reasons  Roll Eyes good luck with everything and hope it gets sorted for you.....mine did in time

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, learning to live with it means accepting lower scores  Cry  The only real question  is, "How much lower?" 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Someone made some modified eyecups a few years back that had a long bore lead through an intentionally lengthed threaded section of the disc (forward of the actual aperture hole) that helped eliminate "the fuzzies" for some shooters.
Don't remember if the article was in the ASSRA Journal, or in the SSE when Brett Boyd was still running it.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:53am:
With aperture sights I find that these days I have use OTC clear eye drops after each string or things get fuzzy. Think it is the natural drying of the the eyes as we age. Lots of drops and lots of blinking seem to work.

I had same problem for years with right eye, which for many, many years has not produced proper moist layer on outside of eyeball. Only one eyedrops and lots of blinking helped much -- varying apertures, etc, as well as focal length of eyeglasses never helped for long. Cataracts "saved" me from further problems with this. Cool

Grisen

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Cataract implants can cause your eyes to be a lot drier too.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks Schuetzenmeister!! 

That is one of many factors that I have on my list of concerns about effectiveness of cataract surgery on right eye. Hopefully, I win more than I loose with right eye. In any case, in general, use my right eye has been only of limited use for past decade. Hopefully I will still have that.

Grisen

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
It is only a minor PIA.  I would not cancel for fear of dry eye. You may be slightly more sensative to light too.  The implants do not filter UV anything like your natural lens reacts to it.

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:35am:
Quote:
A 1/4 of a bubble move to the left on the vernier will compensate for approximately 4 MOA windage at 1000yds
Didn't mention this because not many folks shoot 1000yds

I found letting the bubble touch the line was perfect to get to 10000 yards without losing all my windage to bullet drift.  

Back in the day when I could see irons, the minor affects of elevating from 200 to 1,000 did not matter. What did matter was turning 45  Cry

Please tell me that is a typo? If you are shooting 10,000 yards, with iron sights, that must be one heck of a large aiming black!  Wink

IP Logged

win 32-40
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Its Cataracts
I had the 'Hairball in the centre of apertures' starting 25 years ago and initially kept trying to blow the 'dirt' out of the holes with air. I kept asking eye Doctors and none were anyhelp. not wanting to admit it was a Cataract problem , they would rather sell me glasses which never helped. 
The problem worsened thru time , hairball getting bigger and started obstructing the center of scopes and spotting scopes. Then I really started pushing for answers and finally got in to see a good eye surgeon who said my Cataracts were really growing fast now. After both eyes Cataract operations this year the hairball was totally gone but ops were not overly sucessful so I need glasses to focus , but no hairball and I can see to shoot fine with apertures. After operation , but Before I could get the glasses I could see thru apertures fine , but target was very blurry . reducing rear aperture hole size helped bring in the target more clearly , and now with glasses I can see sights and target well
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2015 at 3:44pm by »  

IP Logged

Flyer
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
From my reading of the 19th Century books on shooting. The British "tilt" and install the rear sight staff@ 85 degrees, not at 90 degrees to the bore.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote author=46767D6070616F707B787C7066617067150 link=1451172441/13#13 date=1451198154]
Please tell me that is a typo? If you are shooting 10,000 yards, with iron sights, that must be one heck of a large aiming black!  Wink

Don't all long range shooters try 10,000 yards at some point?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint