Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Who was Lucius Lewis? (Read 2722 times)
Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Who was Lucius Lewis?
Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Gents: I am the care taker for the next generation of an E. Wesson 'scoped, muzzle loading target rifle (circa 1835-1840). The cheek piece medallion engraved "Lucius Lewis".

Anyone have any idea as to where I could possibly find something on this shooter?

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Who was Lucius Lewis?
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Is there an address of the gunsmith on the barrel? If so the chances are that it was someone local in the vicinity of Wesson's workshop rather than someone on the opposite side of the country. A target rifle doesn't seem to be the sort of firearm that a person on a Waggon Train would purchase. Rather a person in a place the perhaps that was already civilised.
If you can locate where the gunsmith worked then the next thing would be to check church records for Births, Deaths and Marriages if they exist and also local newspaper records if they are available. You could also try and ascertain whether in the gunsmiths location there are people in the town by the name of 'Lewis' if so someone may have old family records such as a bible where Births etc., are written in the flyleaves.

Like all detective work, it a long hard slog at times just to get a nugget of information, you just have to persevere until you strike gold or give up.

Good luck,

Harry (At one time a LEO).

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Please post a picture of your rifle. A picture is.......

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 3:17am
Print Post  
By my research Edwin Wesson was the gunsmith. 
Lived almost all his life in Massachusetts.  This link is a little sketchy, but it was the first one to come up on Ixquick: 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And I have a wreck of a barrel and lock marked E.Wesson that had fetched up in Wyoming.   Bought from a lady who had listed it as a "Smith & Wesson" on evilBay, probably ten years ago now.  Her husband had literally found it in a barn.  So they apparently did travel.   

Who Lucius Lewis was I have no clue.   But almost certainly a New Englander.   

<div class=

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Here are some possible leads from Ancestry.com:  I used "born about 1800" as the only search criteria.

#1:  Lucius G. Lewis, died in Agawam, Mass. in 1869.

#2:  Lucius Lewis, b. about 1800.  In 1855, he was a millwright in Rochester, NY.

#3:  Lucius Lewis, b. April, 1802 in Derby, Connecticut.

#4:  Lucius Lewis, b. 1804 in Connecticut,  He was a cooper by trade, made barrels out of wood.  In 1850, he was in Albion, Michigan.  In 1860, in Clarendon, Michigan, and in 1870 in Quincy, Michigan.

#5:  Lucius Lewis, blacksmith in Northampton, Mass. in 1850.  His products for the year were listed as "custom work".

#6:  Lucius Lewis, farmer in Northampton, Mass.  He was born about 1834.  Died "of a fit" in March, 1879, age 45.  This guy seems least likely.

#2 might be the same guy as #3; but if not, #3 might be either #4 or #5.

#4 lived & worked in Michigan, which would seem to make him less likely, but he was born in Connecticut and may have encountered target rifles before moving west.

An Edwin Wesson scoped muzzle loading target rifle could have been in use through the 1870s, maybe even into the National Rifle Club days in the 1890s.

I changed the search criteria to "born about 1830" and got several more hits, but all seemed to be born & lived in the upper Midwest, not really NRC target shooting country.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2015 at 1:16pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I'v e done a little genealogical  research.  BE thankful his name isn't Schmidt or Smith  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Waterman: thanks for that information

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint