Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) One More Highwall -- sort of (Read 7479 times)
cuslog
Senior Forum Member

One More Highwall -- sort of
Dec 23rd, 2015 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
So here's one that I've been working on lately.
Not EXACTLY to the  blueprints -- I have made a few changes, mainly; 
4140 steel (annealed) HT after
.050 thicker ea. side
.062 incr. around receiver ring
Some screw sizes exchanged for ones more common.
And NO its not a short barreled rifle -- that's just a temporary stub to get some of the other stuff fitted.  Smiley

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Re: One More Highwall -- sort of
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Haven't posted pictures until now because I didn't know if I'd ever finish it. Quite a lot of work and the plans aren't exactly easy to navigate through. Thought there might be a "fatal mistake" and abandon it.
Now, I'm to this point and starting to think that I might just get this thing finished one day.  Smiley
Might actually Pop some primers in the next few days.  Wink

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Nice, I'd like to learn how to do that!

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Wow!  I am always amazed by the talent of metal workers such as yourself.  Congratulations on a very nice action.   

I imagine that with the extra metal you might be considering a heavy caliber?

... Joe

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 8:43am
Print Post  
cuslog wrote on Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:01pm:
I'm to this point and starting to think that I might just get this thing finished one day.  Smiley
Might actually Pop some primers in the next few days.  Wink

No way it's not going to make it now! When I reached that point with mine I got kind of excited and all else just had to wait then instead of the other way around!

On another (kind of comical) note about popping those primers, when I had mine finished almost to the point of bluing I decided to pop a few primers to check out the action, firing pin, etc so grabbed a few primed 45/70 cases and stepped outback of my shop to make a "little" noise. I pointed the muzzle down range at my usual target area and pulled the trigger expecting to hear the "bang" from the primer but instead I got a tremendous "KA-BOOOOM", a huge flash and billowing smoke! Two of my primed cases were 45/70 BP blanks that I had loaded as noise makers for the July 4th holiday! These had about 50 grains of FFFG powder held in with a cardboard wad pressed well below the case mouth so unless a person was looking down into the cases they looked like empty brass and were only slightly heavier. Fortunately I had the common sense to treat even primed cases as if they were fully loaded rounds but when that thing went off with me expecting just a "bang" I about had the big one! Lol!  Shocked
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2015 at 8:53am by Radkins »  

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Joe Do... wrote on Dec 24th, 2015 at 7:33am:
Wow!  I am always amazed by the talent of metal workers such as yourself.  Congratulations on a very nice action.  

I imagine that with the extra metal you might be considering a heavy caliber?

... Joe

45-70 -- plan to start out light, take some careful measurements / record them -- watch and see if it starts to "grow" or stretch anywhere. Just being cautious on this first one.

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 11:35am
Print Post  
With properly heat treated 4140 I would venture to say that receiver will have strength capabilities right up there in Ruger No. 1 territory. The Highwall is of course an inherently strong action design anyway and when combined with the fantastic strength properties of 4140 they become almost indestructible! Of course watching for stress risers that could lead to cracking makes a big difference, such as correct radius of the breech block mortise corners, eliminating sharp corners and edges in the extractor relief, etc but then those are just precautions with any rifle. 

Someday I would like to test one of these things to destruction just to see what it would take, from what I have been told and read about concerning the strength of the design I expect it would take a LOT!

BTW, have you selected your wood yet?

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 11:43am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I "Think" this will take you to a photobucket album with a few earlier photos.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Radkins wrote on Dec 24th, 2015 at 11:35am:
With properly heat treated 4140 I would venture to say that receiver will have strength capabilities right up there in Ruger No. 1 territory. The Highwall is of course an inherently strong action design anyway and when combined with the fantastic strength properties of 4140 they become almost indestructible! Of course watching for stress risers that could lead to cracking makes a big difference, such as correct radius of the breech block mortise corners, eliminating sharp corners and edges in the extractor relief, etc but then those are just precautions with any rifle. 

Someday I would like to test one of these things to destruction just to see what it would take, from what I have been told and read about concerning the strength of the design I expect it would take a LOT!

BTW, have you selected your wood yet?

A couple weeks ago, I played around, heat treating / tempering some scraps of 4140 - was amazed at how hard and tough it got. Tried breaking a piece ~ 1/4 x 3/4" in the vise - took a 4 lb. hammer and a few quite strong blows !
For wood, I have some Cherry wood from a tree I cut down in my front yard that I'm going to try.
For barrel, I'm torn between just buying a rifled blank, or building a rifling machine and making my own.
In the #2 Campbell book on Winchester single shots he re-prints an article on intentionally "blowing up" a highwall. I don't remember the exact charge they used but it was quite a large "over charge" of 4064 IIRC (like almost 30% over) and it blew the firing pin out the back and broke the hammer but I think the breech block and receiver were still in place.

IP Logged

Rick4070
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Great work!! Just plain beautiful!! And great photos, also!!
Quite a few fixturing ideas there.
If you don't mind me asking, are the plans the action is sitting on the plans offered through the archives??

I was considering using 4140 also, but is there a concern about warpage during heat treating?

I was planning on annealing any piece of 4140 before machining, but was concerned about warpage of the breech block mortise during the quench...

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
All that extra steel is really for naught. It looks like a flat spring action and with the spring clearance and a large thread there is only about .050" thickness of material between the barrel thread and spring hole. It can't be stronger than the weakest part and that would appear to be the weakest part. 

Nice work though. If it was a coil spring action with thicker material under the barrel thread and a 1" diameter barrel thread then you would approach the strength of the Ruger #1.

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I have machined all my actions from 4140 pre-hard and I find that it works quite well, somewhat more difficult than working annealed but not much and more than worth it as it eliminates after machining heat treating and problems associated with doing that. By using the pre-hard I was able to work to close tolerances and not have to be concerned with these changing later on during heat treating.

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Rick4070 wrote on Dec 24th, 2015 at 2:15pm:
Great work!! Just plain beautiful!! And great photos, also!!
Quite a few fixturing ideas there.
If you don't mind me asking, are the plans the action is sitting on the plans offered through the archives??

I was considering using 4140 also, but is there a concern about warpage during heat treating?

I was planning on annealing any piece of 4140 before machining, but was concerned about warpage of the breech block mortise during the quench...

Those are indeed the plans from the ASSRA archives -- though they come from ASSRA as 8-1/2 X 11's -- you will have to find a way to enlarge them.
You can buy 4140 in the annealed state and harden yourself after, or you can buy 4140 HT (heat treated). Going from memory the annealed is about 16 Rockwell, the pre-hard 28~32R and with post machining heat treat of the annealed you can get 48 ~ mid 50's relatively easily, depending on how much you temper. No first hand experience here re: warpage but I have "heard" that its pretty minimal.
I have machined some 4140 HT for another project and must say it machined beautifully -- I don't know why I didn't think of it for this project. 

IP Logged

cuslog
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Dec 24th, 2015 at 2:27pm:
All that extra steel is really for naught. It looks like a flat spring action and with the spring clearance and a large thread there is only about .050" thickness of material between the barrel thread and spring hole. It can't be stronger than the weakest part and that would appear to be the weakest part. 

Nice work though. If it was a coil spring action with thicker material under the barrel thread and a 1" diameter barrel thread then you would approach the strength of the Ruger #1.

Yes, agreed.  Smiley
After doing some DIY heat treat / temper / destructive testing on some 4140 scraps a couple weeks ago, I am now thinking that I will definitely do the paneling on the sides of the receiver about .050" deep, ea. side. I'm also thinking I may "octagonize" the top of the receiver (as some of the early originals were).

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Radkins wrote on Dec 24th, 2015 at 11:35am:

The late JR Buhmiller and a friend did some impressive destructive tests on original Winchester High Wall actions. I remember seeing it written up in an old gun magazine. He fitted a .30-06 barrel to the action, and began to gradually increase the powder charges to a point where he got to a 50% over charge. Don't remember the powder used, but the High Wall took it all, and after measurements they couldn't find any significant changes. So he drilled and threaded the muzzle, and screwed a pipe plug into it; determined to blow the 1885 up. He fired another heavy '06 load in it, and the barrel exited the action, splitting lengthwise, and stripping the threads. The action bulged up like the Pillsbury Doughboy, but stayed together! Needless to say the test was over then, and the conclusion was the old High Wall was plenty strong.
I had a friend I worked with who hunted with one chambered for .300 Win. Mag. and people constantly told him it was dangerous. He just laughed at them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint