Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 22 rf Build Suggestions (Read 4525 times)
SmallBoreBuyer

22 rf Build Suggestions
Dec 20th, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Well,

After digesting and analyzing all of the wonderful input on a quiet cf build, I believe the .22 LR is likely the most practical and cost-effective option at the moment.  The CPA path is one I am open to, though I would prefer a lower-priced option since the action would be rf only.  So, what action and what barrel would your recommend, if total cost was in the $2K range with nice wood,

I want a traditional-looking rifle, but would prefer a Stevens or Winchester falling block-based or rolling block-based action.  I want a long barrel - 28 to 32 inches, and a nice stock.  A Canadian builder would be preferred, but I am open.

Thanks in advance,

JD
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2015 at 1:14am by SmallBoreBuyer »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 22 rf Build Suggestions
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 6:55am
Print Post  
C. Sharps Arms in Big Timber, MT is about your only choice for a new 1885 complete build. You should be able to get one for ~$2K with your choice of barrel configuration. CSA offers both Low Wall & High Wall rifles in .22LR. 

CSA & MVA (also in MT) will sell you a compete 1885 action you can then have barreled with your favorite barrel and wood of your choice. Unless you have 'sources' of work that are well below the normal 'going rate' for the assembly and metal & wood finishing, that will end up running well over your ~$2K budget (especially if that is $2K CDN). 

The alternative is used. For instance, there is an original Winder Musket for sale locally that is in excellent condition with a Parker-Hale liner, which the Brits did to all the Winders they bought. P-H liners are considered by many to be the best and the Brits thought them better than the Win barrels of the era. Purchase and shoot "as is" for well under $2K and have a competitive rifle. You can eventually change or modify the wood and the trigger parts to make it a DST with Helm lever with parts from MVA and still be around your $2K budget. Nothing like having an original rifle.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Since you like the Stevens action you might consider the Model 44 action. They make excellent 22's and they are relatively inexpensive. There are several on Gun Broker.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
If all you are interested in is the action buy one of the cheap ones and build it the way you want.
Bill

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Consider the CPA with unfinished wood. If you take your time, you can make as beautiful as you want. Aside from the CPA reputation for after sale service and supreme accuracy potential (with the right ammunition) and chambering by Paul Shuttleworth (an undisputed master gunsmith - particularly with the 22RF), consider that you'll have a "switch barrel" rifle which can also become a super accurate center fire (caliber or calibers of your choice) with the addition of suitable barrels, breech block assemblies & extractors.
I vote for CPA! Good Shooting! (assured)

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
.  .  . and chambering by Paul Shuttleworth (an undisputed master gunsmith - particularly with the 22RF), consider that you'll have a "switch barrel" rifle which can also become a super accurate center fire (caliber or calibers of your choice) with the addition of suitable barrels, breech block assemblies & extractors.  I vote for CPA! Good Shooting! (assured)

Good morning Ray --

Thanks for posting that excellent advice and assistance on the .22 RF.  

Santa may have already closed his workshop by now, and is focusing on getting everything in boxes/taped for the UPS girls and boys to pick up for delivery.  But there may be a birthday coming up soon for J.D. in 2016.

Hope you have a really Great Christmas in 2015 in North Carolina.

Webb

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 8:33am
Print Post  
JD,

Welcome to the maddness.

From your prior posts you mentioned you had been thinking of a CF chambering as well as a 22 rimfire.

IF I were in the same boat as you, I'd strongly lean towards the CPA.
Modern mterials, Fantastic maker, etc , etc.

Talk to Paul Shuttleworth, he s a straight up guy and will discuss anything you'd come up with.
And being a manufaturer he can ship to Canda or know who could I'd bet.

The change barrel option is the Cat's behind, Hard to go wrong with CPA.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
RayH wrote on Dec 20th, 2015 at 7:54am:
.... and chambering by Paul Shuttleworth.

Am surprised to read that Paul is chambering rifles. Had heard that he is no longer doing shop work. 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #7 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
RayH wrote on Dec 20th, 2015 at 7:54am:
Consider the CPA with unfinished wood. If you take your time, you can make as beautiful as you want. Aside from the CPA reputation for after sale service and supreme accuracy potential (with the right ammunition) and chambering by Paul Shuttleworth (an undisputed master gunsmith - particularly with the 22RF), consider that you'll have a "switch barrel" rifle which can also become a super accurate center fire (caliber or calibers of your choice) with the addition of suitable barrels, breech block assemblies & extractors.
I vote for CPA! Good Shooting! (assured)

Sound advice! 

I recently had CPA build me a bench rifle with plain wood sanded ready for finishing. It was within the 2k range.   

Having the option to go CF in the future will be well worth the initial investment. 

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
After having had quite a few rifles built as well as having bought and sold a bunch more I have a piece of advice - don't cheap out, if you have to spend a bit more, do it in order to get the best. Cheaper is very rarely better.

IP Logged

SmallBoreBuyer

Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks Guys,

The CPA it is.  Buy once cry once, though my reading makes be believe that CPA offers great value for the money.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
You will have no regrets and ................. you'll be joining a fraternity of fellow CPA owners who will be ready to help as help may be needed.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint