Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Money bullet (Read 9684 times)
Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Money bullet
Dec 9th, 2015 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
I've a question about the Money Bullet.  I know most of you shoot .45 caliber, but I'm looking for a Money Bullet that has been scaled down to shoot in a .38-55.  I've seen a few, but I need a .379" diameter, which I've not found commercially.  Has anyone had any competitive success with a scaled down Money Bullet?  Oh and I might add, I'm shooting a C. Sharps Highwall with a 30" barrel and pushing the lead with smokeless powders.

Chris
IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Money bullet
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
What's the twist of your barrel? That may be a limiting factor.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Haven't read in competition that Dan Theodore's 38-55 "Money Bullet" Micro Groove has been used.  But the design is the same as the 45-70 and Keith Lay took the Raton BPCR Match Winner several years back. 
Competitive Success?  Why are you concerned with it being a competition bullet when the 38 - 40 - 45 caliber Money bullets are  recognized as the best bullets designed in modern times? I shoot the 45-70 Mini Groove for my Mid Range Matches and so does Ernie Bennett in his 45-90 who is usually our match winner.  

38-55 bullet source - Sage Outfitters but Harlen's bullets are all in back order
38-55 mold source - Buffalo Arms but they too are in a back order situation 

I can personally attest that the 45-70 Money Bullet is very accurate at 1000 yds.  First range test after I got my sighters in a raining gusting 25 -30 mph wind - here my results on Homer who is only 48" x 82" - not a standard NRA 1000yd sized target ...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Cheesy

PS:  Use black powder with the Money Bullet - that's what is was designed for  Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:05am by »  

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 2:10am
Print Post  
That bullet was optimized for shooting BP at longer ranges, with the bullet primirily being at subsonic velocities.  If you're shooting smokeless and - maybe - supersonic, possibily at shorter ranges, this may not be the best bullet for your use.
It all depends what you intend to do with it.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 6:59am
Print Post  
While I've never shot mine with smokeless (and likely never will), I have the BACo 325gr & 360gr Money bullet and a Brooks 340g Money bullet. The 325 & the 340 shot fine in my 30" long 14" twist GM barrel. The 360gr is too long/heavy and would not. Have a 13" twist barrel I will be trying them in next season.

Am wondering about your need for a 0.379" bullet? C. Sharps has always used 38cal barrels that are a nominal 0.368" x 0.375" (Badger & now GM) and 14" or 15" twist. My molds are all either 0.376" or 0.377" and shoot fine. In fact, the 325gr bullet casts at 0.3775 and I run it through a sizing die to get it down to 0.377" before loading.

All the custom mold makers will make you a 0.379" mold Money bullet (Brooks, BACo, Sage, Pioneer, etc.). You will just have to wait for your place in line to get it.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the comments, guys.  My barrel slugs at .3762 and I'd like to size it to .378 or .3785, hence the .379.  Twist in my GM 30" barrel is 14.  Figured I'd need a heavier bullet like the money bullet many use in their .45's.

I'm looking for a bullet to shoot targets at up to 200 yds.  Not competitively, but my goal is to shoot with that kind of accuracy.  I've got a lot to learn, which is why I'm asking newbie questions.  Have very little experience.  Am receiving my first 20# Lee pot today and want to try and learn how to cast.  But finding the right bullet is the key, I believe.

Chris
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Chris,
In my early days of BPCR,  I found that I was pushing some bullet noses out of concentricity by forcing them through a sizing die.  Since then I've gone to bullets that are no more than .001" over groove diameter and if from a good mould, shoot them unsized.  Stick with a bullet that is groove diameter to no more than .001" over groove and if you need to size your bullets, use a die only .001" in diameter over groove just to true the bullet up.  If you're only going to shoot to 200 yds, almost any bullet design will work accurately.  The Metford/Money begins to shine at the longer distances.  Bob
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:47am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Have never resized, so wasn't aware of that problem.  Lots to learn here.  With my 14 twist, Marshal Stanton at Beartooth says I need a bullet with a weight of 265-285 for the distances I'm wanting to shoot.  But most of the guys who shoot longer distances say I need a 330 gr (approx) bullet.  While I know I can buy a lot of commercial bullets, I'm finding the cost prohibitive.  That's why I'm wanting to start casting my own.

Chris
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:41am:
Chris,
In my early days of BPCR,  I found that I was pushing some bullet noses out of concentricity by forcing them through a sizing die.  Since then I've gone to bullets that are no more than .001" over groove diameter and if from a good mould, shoot them unsized.  Stick with a bullet that is groove diameter to no more than .001" over groove and if you need to size your bullets, use a die only .001" in diameter over groove just to true the bullet up.  If you're only going to shoot to 200 yds, almost any bullet design will work accurately.  The Metford/Money begins to shine at the longer distances.  Bob

Good advice.   

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Okay then, the money bullet wouldn't be what you folks would recommend..........and you say that most any bullet will do well at the distances I'll be shooting.  But do you have any opinions about the recommended weight for a 14 twist at low velocities?  (1250-1400 fps)

Chris
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm looking for a bullet to shoot targets at up to 200 yds.
Chris ... here's the bullet that is very accurate, the Accurate mold clone of the Ideal 375166, 320gr. I have calculated the bullet with the Powley Calculator and with 1200 fps - it calculates perfectly to a 1:14 twist
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
And these are some targets shot with the 375166
100yd Cartridge

100yds - Swiss

200yds Swiss

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
If your going to mostly shoot up 200 yards most any of the good 38 design bullets will work. I good postel bullet will serve you very well. Another good bullet would be the tapered bullet made by Hoch and sold by CPA. I have one of these molds and have never shot the bullet on paper but did toss together some loads with BP and was able to go 10 for 10 on the pigs at 300M. I think the load was about 45gr or Goex CTG powder. I think its a very good bullet and the base band or 3 are the size your looking for. 
Sam

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Buffalo Arms makes a .378" 325gr Money bullet mold if that's what you want. It will be fine with your 1:14 twist.  It is also one of the few molds they have in stock right now.

I do not know how well that bullet will work in your rifle, it depends on how well the bullet fits the chamber on your rifle.  That bullet did not work well in the 6 degree chamber on my CPA, but was reasonably ok in my .38-50 for ten shot groups at 200. 

A bullet that fits well is going to shoot better than an aerodynamic one that doesn't fit well.  I would check with what CSA recommends, and see if you can find a few people who are successfully shooting their CSA 1885's. 

Chris.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Boy, you all are talking about heavy bullets.  Shocked   I've  never loaded more than a 260 gr in a .38-55.  Don't know if I really care to put up with the kick a 320+ gr bullet would administer.  Guess I'm just an old woos!  Wink  I've been seriously looking at Accurate's 38-250B.  All of my friends who shoot it literally rave about it.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2015 at 3:21pm by Chris C »  

Chris
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Chris,
Probably "sacrilige" against all the fancy custom mold makers but, how about starting with a low buck
Lyman 375248 , a Plain Base, 255gr "std" 38-55 bullet.

Cast in 20:1, it shoots lights out in my marlin 336CB with a 0.060" ldpe wad under it and 28 gr of Re 7.-- my deer load.
Same charge under the Lyman 375449, gc 9+1 ww/lino -the Marlin put three into 1.25" wide x 1/2" high group at 100yds- another deer load in the 1700s fps. 
Yes, there are stories of recent Lyman molds not being of the quality of the older ones. 
But, You can buy two or three of Lyman's molds for the price of one custom mold. 
I will later be working with the Lyman 335 gr mini Postell in the Marlin and in my 375Win 12 twist rifle barrels for gong slamming up to 600yds. I have heard of good shooting with that one, too.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint