Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CPA ready to go (Read 13974 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

CPA ready to go
Dec 9th, 2015 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Setting up the CPA for Conestoga's Gallery match this weekend. Snapped a phone picture. Turned out pretty good. 22 LR barrel MVA Schuetzen Tang MVA B5 Scope. Ken Burklow did the engraving after original Steven's action supplied by Paul Shuttleworth.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)[/URL]

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: CPA ready to go
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 10:32am
Print Post  
That's a beauty! What does the rest look like? Love to see the whole gun!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Style Points - It's Sweet

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle Boats and good luck at this weekend's match.

YIM  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks, shot it today home club to re-confirm gallery sight settings, when I clean it tomorrow will see if I can take a full photo.

It's a pet rifle, pure Schutzen offhand set up. Wish I shot it more. Mostly use my other CPA BPCR stocked, in club matches that don't allow scopes, palm rest or hook butt plates 

Boats

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
How do you like the MVA scope? I am thinking of purchasing one for a lo wall I have.

JHolland

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
That rifle is super nice! When the engraving is cut after the CCH, it gives it definition and pop.

Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Well I am a collector or more like it fan of scopes.  That rifle upcoming match I can put a Parsons - Lyman STS 20x Unertl 12x Target. Unertl 10 X Varmint, The B5 MVA or a Unertl 3x Small game on the gun.

Lately I am using lower power scopes offhand.  No doubt about it high power is good, and when I shot a lot of Modern Rifle Silhouette High Power and Small Bore used 20x Leupolds.

Schuetzen with two legs iron and any sight  you have to switch your shot execution from fairly good sight picture - Iron aperture, to better sight picture, scopes.  My latest thinking is matches that have to switch better off using a scope with less power to keep the mind working in similar ways.

I want to use the Unertl 3x but it's new to me not well proven, while the MVA B5 is 4 or 5 years old and the scope I am using most.  it's a older design no clicks which can be  a issue compared to scopes that offer positive clicks. But it's very clear and so far have not had any issues with it.

Rim fire it recoils just a bit every shot. Have to return it to battery about 1/32 inch each shot. Forget to return it add's 1/32 every shot and can change zeros as the error progresses. Two of my external adjustment scopes have return springs, you don't have to remember to return.

Other thing about the MVA is cost is about what a good used Unertl cost. 600 bucks. It's new and they will fix anything that goes wrong. I have gone very wrong one time with a used Unertl.  Lot of trouble and expense getting it fixed.

Last it's small and fits the rifle well total outfit is about 14 lbs. Bigger scopes add more weight, more important to me now than it was 20 odd years ago when setting that gun up.

I like the MVA

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Awesome rifle!!

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Oprod
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
That's one of a very few examples I've seen of engraving done after the color case hardening. So did engraver have a problem with the case hardening? I've heard it rumored that some do, but with today's modern carbide engraving bits and tools I wondered if it were true. Also would like you to expand on if you coated the newly engraved metal with a clear coat or anything to keep that area from rusting, or. Just plan on oiling it? Rifle is a sure nough beauty!

IP Logged

patriot
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Very nice rifle, but we need more photos!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Ken Burklow who by the way shoots our club matches with either CPA or one of his several single shots uses hand tools, no power.  Ken is a professional engraver doing all sorts of bench work, was fairly sure he could cut through CPA's case, did my older action as a test.  I suspect it depends very much on the case depth. In any event after doing mine he has done a number of actions for CPA. 

I did not want to have the temper drawn out then re-hardened so offered my plain action as a test

No special treatment, I just wipe it down with Balistol after handling. Same thing I did before it was engraved.

Good light out now will see if I can take a couple of photos with a real camera

Boats
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:20pm by boats »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Bright light was tricky so here are two, one in the shade.  I ordered the rifle in 1995 when I was working out of the country. Picked it up from CPA on a trip home. Did not shoot it a lot until 2000 when I was back for good.

Paul Shuttleworth did all the set up long distance with letters and fit descriptions from the Anschutz Super Match 54 I was shooting matches with in Australia. Fully adjustable stock so I could get it just right and transmit the dim's to Paul for the CPA set up. He gave me very good advice on the rifle. 

It's pure offhand no compromises. I have switched my other CPA rifle stocks several times to suit the matches I was shooting. This one never changed

Few points. Note the high iron sight line. Switching from Iron to scope almost no change in head position. It's a switch barrel both Douglas .22 Lr & 32/40

Range box is 3rd one I have built for the gun, each tweaked a little from the one before.  Rope handles clear the open lever and palm rest, something 2nd model would not do, little lower too, more stable.  It's also built to suit the Vintage Welt Projector stand Cat Whisperer gave me.  Often shoot it at a range with no benches. Not used to shoot from just hold the rifle between shots seating bullets adjusting sights etc. Works very good.

It's probably my nicest rifle. Most others are just working guns.

Boats
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:54pm by boats »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Perty. 

Raising the iron sights to scope level is an advantage. Did the same on my Hoch. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
That's a dandy! Love the overall look a lot!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint