Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 17 HMR, which action? (Read 1349 times)
MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

17 HMR, which action?
Dec 6th, 2015 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
What would be the better action to sleeve to a 17HMR; Stevens 1915 favorite or Hopkins and Allen 932? Or are they both bad for this? 

The favorite pins concern me. I thought I would ask advice. I could stick to mach2 but really would like an HMR and these are the actions I have on hand that are solid.

Thanks! Jon

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 17 HMR, which action?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
One source shows the maximum chamber pressure of the 17 HMR to be the same as the 22 WMR, at around 25,600 psi.

The 1915 Favorite wasn't offered with chamberings that reached that chamber pressure level.

Hopkins and Allen offered a model No. 3925 that was chambered for the 25-20 Singleshot cartridge, but you'll have to dig up the original chamber pressure for that cartridge as it was loaded at that particular point in time to make a comparison.

From what I've read, CCI is the only outfit still making the 17 HMR (for both the CCI and Hornady labels), but the Mach2 seems to be tail-end Charlie to both 22 RF and 17 HMR production.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint