Poll
Poll Question: How likely would it be that you'd attend a National Match?
bars   pie

Wouldn't miss it for anything    
  4 (5.7%)
Would do my best to attend    
  34 (48.6%)
Would attend if less than 1600 miles    
  2 (2.9%)
Would attend if less than 1000 miles    
  10 (14.3%)
Would attend if no more than 500 miles    
  20 (28.6%)

Total votes: 70
« Created by: frnkeore on: Dec 4th, 2015 at 7:51pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match? (Read 27557 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match?
Reply #60 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
ISSA members?  Is there such a thing?  Have never seen a membership list or offering. Only members I know of is the ISSA BOD. I have to pay a ISSA fee when entering a ISSA match. Never considered it a membership. I may be wrong. Did not see anything on the ISSA website. 

What does it have to do with a Coors style national match? 

Joe.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2015 at 5:06pm by westerner »  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

blk43

Reply #61 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Our mailing list shows 271 individuals many of whom haven't renewed.  Attendance at the ISSA Internationals at Raton, New Mexico is in the neighborhood of 70 shooters who renew membership at the match.  If you want specific numbers I will get them for you.

Is there any concern that establishing another match to blend the ISSA and the ASSRA going to dilute the attendance at the Regional and International events for either association?

Bruce

BLK

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Bruce, Last time I checked, which was a number of years ago, I was told my ISSA membership renewed when I registered for a match.  There was no renewal process for intervening years.  Has that changed?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

blk43

Reply #63 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
There are members who mail their fee directly to the treasurer who no longer compete and maintain active status.
Bruce

BLK

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
If the web page had a separate renewal there would probably be more participation.  Just a suggestion.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 10:43am
Print Post  
The purpose of the International Single Shot Association (ISSA) is to encourage participation in the shooting sports and particularly
the recreation of shooting single shot rifles with plain base bullets. Our rules are essentially the same as the ASSRA.
In addition to our regional matches, we host the International Schuetzenfest each year at the NRA Whittington Center, near Raton, NM. As Bruce earlier stated, we have been attracting approximately 70 competitors to our annual match for some years now.
For those who may not be familiar with our activities, the main programmed events at our annual schuetzenfest are:
- 50-shots bench rest iron sights
- 50-shots offhand iron sights
- 50-shots bench rest any sights (scope)
- 50-shots offhand any sights (scope)

We also shoot bench and offhand 22RF, original American and German rifle events plus a few others. We use the same German Ring target as the ASSRA.
The ISSA's main emphasis is on competitive shooting, carrying on the legacy of the Coors Schuetzenfest of the 1980's-90's.
Our rules and 2016 events schedule may be accessed at:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
For anyone who has not been to one of our schuetzenfests, it is quite a sight to see 50 shooters in an offhand match, all blazing away at the same time, displaying a variety of schuetzen rifles ranging from fine originals to ISU configured modern single shot rifles.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

blk43

Reply #66 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
It wasn't purported to be a "complete" list, just our current mailing list.
Bruce

BLK

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
40_Rod brought up a important aspect regarding scoring differences between ISSA & ASSRA. Could we talk about that?

I think the biggest difference is that ISSA scores to the leaded edge on 22rf BR targets. I'm not sure where that came from. Does anyone have a reference of when that occurred? Was it done that way at Coors? Some ASSRA clubs score that way, too. Two that come to mind are my club and Tacoma. It's been said that it's easier to score but, I can't see the argument on thoughs grounds. I've scored a lot of targets in my day and don't see it as easier.

The other thing is the red border around the ISSA 200 yard target. Touch that line and it counts, if it's on the paper, NOT touching the line and outside the border, it's like the shot never happen.

And I don't think that it's a issue but, in WSU, your only allowed 10 total shots per target.

Could I get some thoughts about how we could resolve thoughs differences?

Frank
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:50pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Frank, Tacoma always scored 22 bench that way before my time.  Bill Crane told me it was to make it easier for the girls when Norma, Michele, Carol and maybe a few others did all the scoring & stats.   

I never really saw it as much of an advantage myself until I started have new helpers.  Going back and forth between offhand and bench just leads to lots of errors.  They forget to switch back and forth!  Cry  When my wife scored my BP matches, she said which way to you want it. I'm not going back and forth!  Who is going to argue with the only volunteer? 

I don't really see much of a problem with WSU 10 shots conflict.  Anyone shooting off paper isn't going to be competitive with the winner's circle anyway.  What's the big deal?    Why do we even care?

I'm not sure if the ASSRA targets are the same size as the inside the red line around ISSA.  There would still be a slight advantage of not seeing a kiss on the edge of ASSRA.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Frank
The issues brought up by 40_Rod are valid differences in scoring between the ISSA and ASSRA. Another difference is a shot outside the scoring rings on the ASSRA targets scores 10. The ISSA target rings extent out to the target edge (13, 12, 11, 10 . . . etc). 
The red lined box on the ISSA target shouldn't present an issue. That red line designates the target edge, any shot hitting outside the box is a miss, same as a shot off the target per ASSRA rules.
22RF is a definite issue. If I recall correctly, the bullet hole leaded edge for 22RF bench rest scoring was adopted because everyone shoots the exact same diameter bullet and it made the targets easier to accurately score. That decision was made long before I had anything to do with running ISSA matches so my recollection my not be correct.
For the ASSRA and ISSA to establish a common set of rules for a national match will present some challenges.
When the can of worms we are calling a National Schuetzenfest is opened, it becomes obvious why a national tournament has never happened. The hurtles are not insurmountable but they are real.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #70 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
We could call it a National Schuetzen Match  and make its own rules and make up its own targets.  Might eliminate some pain.    Not volunteering, just saying.  but will  volunteer for something if able.   

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
oughtsix wrote on Dec 22nd, 2015 at 8:03pm:
We could call it a National Schuetzen Match  and make its own rules and make up its own targets.  Might eliminate some pain.    Not volunteering, just saying.  but will  volunteer for something if able.  

Isn't the purpose of correlation to have telegraph match?  Either should be satisfactory for shoulder to shoulder.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #72 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
oughtsix wrote on Dec 22nd, 2015 at 8:03pm:

Great idea! Cut through all the crap and just do it. The old fogies who call us slobs can stay home.  I have a one ton flat bed truck, so I volunteer to haul and set up oxygen bottles for those who require them.

Joe.     Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I don't see this as a huge issue, other than the 22rf BR scoring if, the ISSA shooters want to stay with the leaded edge. Personally, I do not like the leaded edge scoring for any BR matches and it's a extreme disadvantage if one BR shooter scores center and the other, leaded edge.

As far as the CF targets, there is not big difference and it would only effect about the bottom 1/3 of the OH shooters. As a poor OH shooter, I like the ISSA target, but not that border. 

I like the ASSRA target for IS matches because the red is darker and has more contrast and also, it gives the option of using the black bull.

So, if I could make the rules, for a shoulder to shoulder match, it would be:

All BR matches, scored to center of bullet impact

Scope OH ISSA target

IS OH & BR, ASSRA target

Small ASSRA AS target for expense and convenience

OH, shoot until you have 10 holes to score (for me and to incourage shooters)

Any group matches would have to be ASSRA targets as, ISSA has none.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint