Poll
Poll Question: How likely would it be that you'd attend a National Match?
bars   pie

Wouldn't miss it for anything    
  4 (5.7%)
Would do my best to attend    
  34 (48.6%)
Would attend if less than 1600 miles    
  2 (2.9%)
Would attend if less than 1000 miles    
  10 (14.3%)
Would attend if no more than 500 miles    
  20 (28.6%)

Total votes: 70
« Created by: frnkeore on: Dec 4th, 2015 at 7:51pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match? (Read 27593 times)
jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match?
Reply #45 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 1:22am
Print Post  
My vote would be - NO qualifying.  Don't exclude anyone.  The bigger the turnout the better the publicity would be.  Just add relays.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 7:31am
Print Post  
My vote is no qualifying. I see this more as a big party for single shot shooters. Is there a better way to disenfranchise new shooters then to tell them they can't come if they are not already experts? Besides, the qualifying thing already makes this into an ISSA sort of match.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #47 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 8:58am
Print Post  
If the object of the exercise is to draw new shooters to the sport than the match should welcome all comers. If the object is to find the best plain-based bullet shooters in the country than qualifying should be part of the program. You need to decide what you want to be first.

40 Rod

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 10:17am
Print Post  
We need to keep the fest in schuetzenfest. It's not only about a contest to determine the best shooter, although that's certainly a big part of it. The fest is also about the social aspects like a banquet, hamburger fry, renewing old friendships and making new ones. A match that's open to all comers will attract the most shooters.
If we select a center fire program of events, such as a 100-shot offhand, 100-shot bench rest plus, perhaps, an Honor Target (3-shots offhand) we could then do a two-phase national. Etna Green could shoot it at their spring or summer shoot and Raton could work the course of fire into their match in August. Combine the scores after the match(s) and simple math will determine the winners. If such a format were used, I can make a one guarantee, even though the matches would be held at different locations and at different times, the best shooters will win.
For the ASSRA and ISSA to attempt a initial national match at a neutral range would, IMO, ensure it never happens. Our organizations are not large enough at this time to continue with our regular programs plus the additional manpower and money needed for a completely new match to be organized, administered and run.
I'm open to any doable solution for a national match and I will attend.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
yes;  if it was in connecticut

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Quarter_Bore wrote on Dec 17th, 2015 at 7:31am:
My vote is no qualifying. I see this more as a big party for single shot shooters. Is there a better way to disenfranchise new shooters then to tell them they can't come if they are not already experts? Besides, the qualifying thing already makes this into an ISSA sort of match.

Much of the format will have to be based on how many days for the shoot, benches available and how many shooters to accommodate. I agree that we don't want to leave anyone out and that wasn't my intent regarding qualifying.

I was really looking at the qualifying aspect as more "hyp" leading up to the shoot itself, insuring the best shooters get a spot and a way to generate more money to finance it. But, what I'd rather hear is that the boards of both organizations, decided that there should be no qualifying Smiley

The rules will not be mine but, for the boards to decide. These are my ideas for options for the format, nothing else. All ideas are more than welcome.

I'm not sure how your linking qualifying to the ISSA, as I've never had to qualify to shoot any matches.

Another thing to think about is, how many on this forum would like to be able to meet the other members and talk, face to face?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #51 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
To create a national Schuetzen match like Coors did, advertising in a national publication is required. Then you will have so many entrants, qualification matches will be required. If I remember correctly, Coors qualifying matches took three days. The qualifying matches were as fun and interesting as the finals match. Plan on starting the match on Saturday morning and ending it the next Sunday. Figure nine days to get it done.   

You did want to have a big national match............right?  

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
  Grin (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
A match in the style of the old Coors Schuetzenfest would require a Coors type sponsor. To attract such a sponsor means that the collective we (the combined ISSA and ASSRA) have something to offer that a prospective sponsor sees as giving them a return on the money it would require to plan, promote, organize and execute a national schuetzenfest. At the very least, a big sponsor expects to get access to a large potential customer base. Given the vast number of spectators our matches draw, I'm sure there are plenty of deep pocket sponsors just waiting by the phone for our call  Wink
Maybe if we all go to black plastic stocks, flat black metal finishes and use Nightforce scopes . . . ?
or
We start small and see what we can do for ourselves.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2015 at 5:04pm by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #54 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I have to agree with Randy. We need to start and work toward a goal not argue what the end result will be. I like the idea of a modern version of a telegraph match. It could be done at the two closest matches for the ISSA and the ASSRA I think that would be the summer match at Etna Green and the Grand Schuetzenfest in Raton. We would have to agree to a course of fire and some basic scoring rules but it could be a start. Maybe if we get a Telegraph match together we will find a way to actually shoot together. 
  It doesn’t have to start with the money first we need to prove to potential sponsors that we can work together before anybody will put money into this.

40 Rod

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 10:17am
Print Post  
How many members of the ISSA?

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #56 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 10:39am
Print Post  
I am #126 started in 1987

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
KAF,
Would you like for me to start a poll of ASSRA/ISSA members?

I'm ISSA member #339 but, my old original ASSRA is #696.

What I'd like to say about sponsorship is that the very first thing that needs to be done, even for a telegraph match, is for ASSRA & ISSA to sign a Letter of Intent and select someone or group of people to contact the possible sponsors and the media.

Frank
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2015 at 11:21am by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #58 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Has to be a shoulder to shoulder match at a location in the middle of the lower forty eight, like Nebraska/Kansas. Has to be advertised in a national publication. 

Large corporate sponsors mandatory? Why again? Tax relief? I don't think Coors made any money on the Coors matches. 

We have people out there who know how to acquire sponsors. The man I'm thinking of hangs with the Irish. Not a problem as he himself is not Irish. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I did not ask how many ISSA members are here on the forum,,   How many members are there in the ISSA?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint