Poll
Poll Question: How likely would it be that you'd attend a National Match?
bars   pie

Wouldn't miss it for anything    
  4 (5.7%)
Would do my best to attend    
  34 (48.6%)
Would attend if less than 1600 miles    
  2 (2.9%)
Would attend if less than 1000 miles    
  10 (14.3%)
Would attend if no more than 500 miles    
  20 (28.6%)

Total votes: 70
« Created by: frnkeore on: Dec 4th, 2015 at 7:51pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match? (Read 27558 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match?
Reply #30 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
I don't think Camp Perry has a bench range. Remember Oct. is the middle of hunting seasons so I would figure you would lose some then. Phoenix is a long ways for most of the country

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
For the sake of being precise, those 73 percentile folks would in actuality be traveling 2,000 total miles in order to attend, and to return to their point of departure.   

For the age group mentioned in some of these messages, I would conclude that 500 highway miles per day would be a reasonable average with a night in a motel at the end of the first day out and again at the end of the first day back. 

Consider, four days on the road driving, plus three days at an event, means a full week's time commitment.  This appears to be an opportunity for the retired population, not working people.

As for your first paragraph, I think everyone that responded had figured that out (even you seemed to be able to do that Smiley )

In this day and age, most of the sweat shops are gone and the people that own this rifles, if they are not retired, have at least two week vacations so, I think those things are considerations for those that would like to compete.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
Match fees, fuel, camping generally cost me about $1800 each year.  I know how much hard work goes into these matches and think someone will have to have a lot of juice to get a sponsor such as Coors was in the day.  I put on an ISSA Regional Match and 9 ASSRA Saturday matches each year and have seen attendance fall off about a third in the past two years.  Setting up opposing competitions with the expense of attending these matches and getting the time off to do so might undercut our goal of promoting the sport.  I might get some flack here but these are my thoughts.
Bruce

Bruce, I commend you for your ability to state what the true reality is in regards to this topic.  If you will allow me to say so; "You've been there, and have done that.  .  ."

Yes, " flack " is what to expect when one does not fall into footstep with what is on the table.  My answer to flack is to simple put on one's flack jacket and continue on with telling it like it is.

To use the term "Sport" is a bit of a misnomer here, as that term does seem to mislead people into thinking about relaxing among friendly people and building relationships.  How one spends his or her earned time off from a job is their own business, the same as how I decide to spend my free time away from my office.

Accordingly, 500-600 miles on Interstate 81 with Bubba 18 Wheeler for two consecutive days is not my idea of joy and relaxation, even if I do have cruise control, sculptured seats, and the optional premium sound system. 

The alternative to the proposed "end-all, be-all shooting match of the century" might be to focus more attentively on the more regional "sub-matches" that do not quite rise to the level of notoriety that the past Coors matches achieved.  After all, the objective is to reinvigorate the schuetzen verin and schuetzen activity to more closely resemble that which took place during the period of circa 1870 - 1930 in America. During such past periods, people were more open to friendships with other people and there was a sincerity about about them that allowed them to interact with each other without the expectation of receiving "flack".

Webb

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
even if I do have cruise control, sculptured seats, and the optional premium sound system.

The post of the day  Smiley Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #34 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote]After all, the objective is to reinvigorate the schuetzen verin and schuetzen activity to more closely resemble that which took place during the period of circa 1870 - 1930 in America. 

Webb

So true. Including the big biennial matches of that era. People traveled clear across the country to attend the big matches. Some crossed oceans, traveled by train. 

Of course there will always be those who cannot contend with trucks on the freeways and those who are unable to use public toilets................. etc etc...

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Joe - I think you are on to something. Rather than trying to put on an annual event, perhaps a biennial schuetzenfest would actually be doable. After all, 97.3% of all the work of putting on such an event would fall on the shoulders probably about 10 people. It takes hundreds of hours of effort to arrange and run a big match. I don't know of anyone who would sign up to do that more than one year in a row.
One year at Etna Green, next year at Whittington Center?

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Accordingly, 500-600 miles on Interstate 81 with Bubba 18 Wheeler for two consecutive days is not my idea of joy and relaxation, even if I do have cruise control, sculptured seats, and the optional premium sound system.

Yes, but sometimes an event is worth the drive.
As you say, it's an individuals decision.
It really does help to have a decent car.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #37 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I am NOT retired.  Only 68 not old enough yet.

I drive 1400 miles to South Dakota, joining friends in Iowa along the way, and shoot prairie dogs for 3 days.  (I load 1000 rounds of .223/.308/.221 etc and HOPE it's not enough!)

SO, for Scheutzen, driving a few miles for several days of shooting is OK.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:

The alternative to the proposed "end-all, be-all shooting match of the century" might be to focus more attentively on the more regional "sub-matches" that do not quite rise to the level of notoriety that the past Coors matches achieved.  After all, the objective is to reinvigorate the schuetzen verin and schuetzen activity to more closely resemble that which took place during the period of circa 1870 - 1930 in America. During such past periods, people were more open to friendships with other people and there was a sincerity about about them that allowed them to interact with each other without the expectation of receiving "flack".

Webb

Direct to and from is a bit of a PIA.  The years I went to Raton, it was in the middle of a month to 6 weeks of a 10,000 mile road trip.  Leisurely travel with your own bed and toilet in tow makes it considerably more palatable  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 10th, 2015 at 11:35am:
Quote:
[quote]After all, the objective is to reinvigorate the schuetzen verin and schuetzen activity to more closely resemble that which took place during the period of circa 1870 - 1930 in America. 

Webb

So true. Including the big biennial matches of that era. People traveled clear across the country to attend the big matches. Some crossed oceans, traveled by train. 

Of course there will always be those who cannot contend with trucks on the freeways and those who are unable to use public toilets................. etc etc...

Joe. 

Public toilets?
If you're traveling by freeway, and the match is going to be held in the central U.S., cornfields are handy just like they were during the period of circa 1870 - 1930 in America.
Just don't hold the match to soon after planting season.      Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #40 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Honey, please pull over at the next corn field, I really gotta go.   Embarrassed   I bet there's a law...........   Huh

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
The poll closed Monday and the results look favorable. There where 65 respondents and if they had to traveled about 1000 miles, 74% would. I think if it where a reality, that percentage would go up to about 85%. That would be 55 people. I would say that there are at least another 55 that aren't on this forum, that would go if they knew that a match was scheduled. 

I think that is a very good sign that a match could be a reality and I would hope that the results of this poll will give a incentive for ISSA and ASSRA to start a meaningful collaboration and a committal to make it a reality.

I still think it should be held on neutral ground and the ISSA, Raton match and ASSRA, summer or Fall match, be qualifying matches and have the match in October ( a fitting month Smiley ). I also think it would increase attendence at the qualifying matches and that means more usable money. A dedicated, year long, $5 per shooter, per match, entery fee, surcharge could also help raise funds.

What I fear is that if it's held at either place, only the regulars will show up and even though, it will be call National Match, it will turn out to be regional. I also think that it would increase overall attendance in the qualifying matches.

What do you think? These are only ideas and any and all suggests are welcome for the ISSA & ASSRA to consider.

There are many ASSRA board members on this forum and at least one ISSA board member, if the shooters don't let them know that they are interested in this becoming a reality, how will they know that the shooters are serious about it?

Frank
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2015 at 3:54pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Frank,

If the many ASSRA board members and at least one ISSA board member that are on this forum were to conduct discussion on this forum where all could follow along, it could generate additional interest as progress toward a National Match is seen to be developing.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #43 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Frank!
Qualifying matches?
I think I missed that part.
Does this mean, that in order to be an entrant at the National Match, I must "qualify"?
For me ................. that would REQUIRE a 600 - 700 mile (each way) journey from WNC to Etna Green  ........ AND, (if I was able to "qualify" ............. another adventure of up to 1,000 miles (each way) in order to participate in the "National Match". 
My friend, I'll be 76 years old by then ........... sporting a rebuilt spine, a couple of new knees, multiple "other surgeries" I'd rather not discuss. I'm breaking the bank right now to replace my '02 'burb  (262+K on the odo.) with something that might get me a few thousand trouble free miles. 
Perhaps YOU could convince my wife the National Match could be a realistic (and affordable) part of my next year.
For what it's worth, I'd put my effort into multiple (2 or more) "Regional Matches" and a coin toss to pick the National Champ.
Sincere thanks for your efforts to get us all together, but I think I'll be likely to pass.
Respectfully and Sincerely, Ray

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Ray,
You bring up a very good question.

Here's my suggestions for a solution. A big part of it will be how many benches are available.

1. Qualifying matches decide the top 15 - 20 spots from each organization.

2. The rest of the shooters be picked from the top scores from regional matches.

3. A 6 day, or more, event with a elimination format but, still the top qualifiers, guaranteed a spot in the final. They could shoot Group and re-enter matches for the first days and the guy's in the eliminations, shot those matches in the final days, if enough benches are available.

More suggestions?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint