Poll
Poll Question: How likely would it be that you'd attend a National Match?
bars   pie

Wouldn't miss it for anything    
  4 (5.7%)
Would do my best to attend    
  34 (48.6%)
Would attend if less than 1600 miles    
  2 (2.9%)
Would attend if less than 1000 miles    
  10 (14.3%)
Would attend if no more than 500 miles    
  20 (28.6%)

Total votes: 70
« Created by: frnkeore on: Dec 4th, 2015 at 7:51pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match? (Read 27533 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match?
Dec 4th, 2015 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
This would be a once a year, combined ASSRA/ISSA National Match.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Re: Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match?
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
If within 500 miles it is a "no brainer". Count me in! Considering my age and overall condition (financial, health, family, etc.), I'd be a very strong likely at up to 1,000 miles. Beyond that would be a dream, but entirely possible. Say 50/50 as far as 12 - 15 hundred. It would have to be a 3 day match at least, to include all classes. ie: RF, CF, AS, IS, OH, BR, etc., etc. Thanks for stirring the pot. I hope it boils! Ray

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 6:28am
Print Post  
I would love to attend, assuming that it would be friendly for first timers. I have no experience at all in this game.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Why not a poll on asking who would do the labor at such a shoot?
Scoring, posting, trash collection, changing toilet paper rolls, cleaning after the slobs that mess things up etc etc etc.

From experience it is a very few people who do it all, while the majority play.  In the past I have asked for shooters to help a bit and hear: " I came here to shoot, not work"

IP Logged

Kevin B.
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:09am
Print Post  

stubbicat,

I'm also a beginner and the one facet of this sport that impressed me most was the help that was offered to me as a new guy.  Competitors at every level helping each other out, don,t see that very much is other activities. 

Kevin B.

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:35am
Print Post  
I love the idea of a ASSRA/ISSA National Match. I wouldn't mind driving a 1000mi once a year to attend. 

Keith brings up a good point. It wouldn't be asking much for everybody to pitch in a little during a three day match.

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 9:03am
Print Post  
If rules can be established so we are all shooting the same match then yes I would support Telegraph matches for the first few years to get the ball rolling. If that is successful we could see about shooting shoulder to shoulder. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
if it comes to fruition and I can get there, I'll change the TP,

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
So far, it appears that only 1 in 8 viewers have taken part in the poll.
7 of 8 have not participated...?!!?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I just voted. So this is a mileage poll? My vote doesn't mean much without match details to consider. Not all of us here are match shooters, BP. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
So how do you participate in the poll ? Red Y I can figure out what does the other selection mean ?

I see it now reading on a phone missed the top part. Voted. 

Boats

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 5:02pm:
I just voted. So this is a mileage poll? My vote doesn't mean much without match details to consider. Not all of us here are match shooters, BP. 

Joe.

Joe,

Agreed.
Without details, some potential shooters won't know if the match might be worth coming to.
Of course, if there won't be enough participants to hold a match, there won't be any details to worry about. 
It's a Catch-22.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Scoring, posting, trash collection, changing toilet paper rolls, cleaning after the slobs that mess things up etc etc etc.

From experience it is a very few people who do it all, while the majority play.  In the past I have asked for shooters to help a bit and hear: " I came here to shoot, not work"

What your asking is a universal thing. At least for the last 150 years. 

Yes, the minority will always do the majority of the WORK at a match. Anyone that has been responsible for matches knows that and there has ALWAYS been people that "step up", I ran the JSSS matches for 12 years. I alone did all the target frame setup, scoring and organizing, match invites, for monthly matches and I did that, plus making, awarding and collecting prizes for a once a year match.

AND I will volunteer to help if a match like this comes to be.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
The poll format, here, dosen't allow mulitple questions in one post so, if there is enough responce, I'll make up more polls for other aspects, such as cost and who might help, ect.

The match format would be at least 3 days, with a optional day before for sightin and practice. 

I would like to see 6+ full days of match shooting with a 100 shot OH match as the Honor Award. 50 shot OH, aggregate plus a additional, dedicated 50 shot OH to add to it. 

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Dec 5th, 2015 at 6:21pm:
Quote:

What your asking is a universal thing. At least for the last 150 years. 

Yes, the minority will always do the majority of the WORK at a match. Anyone that has been responsible for matches knows that and there has ALWAYS been people that "step up", I ran the JSSS matches for 12 years. I alone did all the target frame setup, scoring and organizing, match invites, for monthly matches and I did that, plus making, awarding and collecting prizes for a once a year match.

AND I will volunteer to help if a match like this comes to be.

Frank

It would depend on the dates and other obligations.  If we were traveling and stopped by the match going to or from other destinations that involved the gun nasty states on the eastern seaboard I would probably have to just skip it and leave the guns at home.   

I usually had enough people to volunteer on match days to get it done smoothly during the 25+ years I ran shooting events.  But as has been pointed out there will always be those who think they paid their money to shoot believing the match is a get rich quick scheme for those who volunteer to run it and we are there to serve them.  There were a few times getting volunteers on match day was a bit challenging.  I started putting volunteers may be appointed to help on the match flyer.    It can be made a condition of participation; if you are not willing to lend a hand, you are not welcome.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint