Poll
Poll Question: How likely would it be that you'd attend a National Match?
bars   pie

Wouldn't miss it for anything    
  4 (5.7%)
Would do my best to attend    
  34 (48.6%)
Would attend if less than 1600 miles    
  2 (2.9%)
Would attend if less than 1000 miles    
  10 (14.3%)
Would attend if no more than 500 miles    
  20 (28.6%)

Total votes: 70
« Created by: frnkeore on: Dec 4th, 2015 at 7:51pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match? (Read 27573 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Would you attend a National Schuetzen Match?
Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I do like the Issa 50 shot for iron, any sight bench and offhand. Plus to do a large number of variations such as 25 match, 22, etc. three days is just hectic and takes from the socializing. Shoulder to shoulder much better then reentry and shot at you leisure for a national format, keeps everything on equal footing. All jmo

IP Logged

mjs3240
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Here is my 2 cents worth.  I am 70 years old.  I have been interested in Schutzen shooting for around 50 years but have only shot a few matches.  I was intrigued by the Coors matches but at the time I did not have the equipment to participate in that event.  I have shot one match at Modesto and I have shot at Raton a few times while shooting the BPCR Silhouette Nationals.  At both ranges I used one of my BPCR Silhouette rifles which was a 32-40.  I would much rather shoot offhand than benchrest.  I now have a CPA in 32-40 set up for scheutzen shooting but have not shot it yet in a match.  I have not been back to Modesto because they shoot their match the same say as a local range shoots their .22 silhouette match which I enjoy shooting.  I have the desire to shoot a National Scheutzen match but I am not sure I am up for the long distance driving anymore.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I understand what your saying, very well. I'm 71 and have always had a competitive spirt, that hasn't left me but, my overall drive has been effected by age. We have a local match but, out of 10 people, only about 4 are really competitive so, I can't wait, each year to drive 900 miles to the shoot at Spokane (9 Mile Falls, actually) to compete. It's 8 days of actual shooting so, it's well worth the drive but, while doing the drive, I wonder some times. When I get there, that goes away!

The old friends that I've had since the 80's and the newer friends that I've made since I started attending in 2011 make it that way Smiley I've lost one of each this year (Both Chuck's) make me appreciate the matches even more.

Like you, I didn't get to attend the Coors matches, I had a family and was working hard. I kept saying next year but, in a poof, they where gone and never came back!!! But, that's not why I want this so bad, that reason is because I do not want this sport and these rifle to fall by the wayside (again) and never return to their glory. 

In the late 80's Slug guns still had matches, I got into them but, my love was single shots and I only did it about 3 years. Slug guns had their beauty and accuracy too but, I never bounded with them like I did with SS's, after the generation of the 80's pasted, so did the Slug Guns, I saw that happen. It was a very sad thing!

I do not want that to happen with our rifles, ever. A publicized National Shoot could keep it alive and even thrive, at least until I'm gone (I know some would love that Smiley ).

Frank
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2015 at 1:10am by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

blk43

Reply #18 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
My thoughts are that we can blend the two matches at the Whittington Center in the summer by shooting three ten shot targets for each organization.  It would be like the world series with each clubs rules being applied for those three targets.  It's 1300 miles for us from the west coast.  I'm sure that there would be issues to iron out but as it is attendance for our ISSA International Match attendance is dwindling and having two International matches would certainly diminish attendance for both organizations.  Most of us probably couldn't  afford two attend two significant matches each year.  Match fees, fuel, camping generally cost me about $1800 each year.  I know how much hard work goes into these matches and think someone will have to have a lot of juice to get a sponsor such as Coors was in the day.  I put on an ISSA Regional Match and 9 ASSRA Saturday matches each year and have seen attendance fall off about a third in the past two years.  Setting up opposing competitions with the expense of attending these matches and getting the time off to do so might undercut our goal of promoting the sport.  I might get some flack here but these are my thoughts.
Bruce

BLK

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
1st off this is not meant to stir things up just my thoughts so please take them for what they are. In every shooting sport I have been in where there has been a fracture that a new organization has formed because they did not like what ever, everyone has suffered. We are such a small group that 2 1/2  (sorry had to say it that way) organizations are our weakness. If we could find a way to do a joint national match maybe we could slowly start to unite into one. Let's look past our own agendas and look at the betterment of the sport. I love to shoot and compete and will do it under what ever the rules and guidelines are and have fun doing it. So let's hope this idea can happen.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #20 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Bob, I always enjoy shooting with you and Barbara. I think we should have a "National Bunds Schützenfest," if only once. I think there's only two places, that I know of, that would facilitate such a match; one would the Whittington Center near Raton, New Mexico, the other would be at Davenport, Iowa. I would love to attend a Schützenfest at Davenport.  Smiley

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Thanks Bob we feel the same its always fun. I wish we had a big enough range to offer a national level match. I would think minimum points would have to be 50 but more would be better. How many ranges around the US fit that? Raton, St Louis, etna Green. How about others naming a few.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Camp Perry, Port Clinton OH.
As you know, they host the NRA national matches, it might not be too big a leap.
There's a fine amusement park in Sandusky, close by, for the families.
You just have to keep a lookout for those tornadoes coming off Lake Erie. I almost went to OZ last time I was there.
Aaron
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2015 at 9:56am by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 9:52am
Print Post  
How many points at Oil Capital in Tulsa?
Bill/sportslube

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Other suitable ranges for a national schuetzenfest:
Ben Avery Shooting Facility, north of Phoenix, Az is one of the finest in the country. Check out their web site at:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Their bench rest range has 55 covered shooting benches (concrete), dead-level grading across the range with sockets for target boards at 100, 200 and 300 yards. There is plenty of parking at the range, on-site RV camping plus numerous hotel & motels in the area.
One minor issue, a schuetzenfest could NOT be held in the Az desert during the summer. It's just plain too hot. The month of May is kind of iffy as to heat and June through September are totally out of the question. The rest of the year is quite nice however.
As an off-season schuetzenfest, our Phoenix range would be just the ticket.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Randy
how are the winds/temps in October?  are the hotels in the off season price then or is that snow bird time?
Bill

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #26 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 10:14am
Print Post  
blk43 wrote on Dec 7th, 2015 at 9:09pm:
My thoughts are that we can blend the two matches at the Whittington Center in the summer by shooting three ten shot targets for each organization.  It would be like the world series with each clubs rules being applied for those three targets.  
Bruce

Interesting idea. 

Wittington Center may be to far for the Eastern shooters? 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 10:54am
Print Post  
sportslube
October weather is generally the turn from summer heat to fall. The attached charts depict October average temperature and wind profiles. Chance of rain averages about 10%.
October should be just prior to the bump-up of hotel rates as the Snow-Bird season kicks-off in mid to late November.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
So far of the 56 that have responded, 73% would travel almost 1000 miles to attend. There are 2 days left for the poll and we'll see how many more respond. As I've been watching, since the third day, it has stay in the 70 - 75% range so, I don't think it will change much.

I think 56 people is a good response for this forum and should be a pretty good representation for all SS shooters, in general. 

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So far of the 56 that have responded, 73% would travel almost 1000 miles to attend. Frank

For the sake of being precise, those 73 percentile folks would in actuality be traveling 2,000 total miles in order to attend, and to return to their point of departure.   

For the age group mentioned in some of these messages, I would conclude that 500 highway miles per day would be a reasonable average with a night in a motel at the end of the first day out and again at the end of the first day back. 

Consider, four days on the road driving, plus three days at an event, means a full week's time commitment.  This appears to be an opportunity for the retired population, not working people.

Might an announcement in the AARP magazine be helpful for attendance increases?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint