Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Anyone shooting a Parker Bros Damascus barrel shot (Read 9545 times)
Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Re: Anyone shooting a Parker Bros Damascus barrel shot
Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
Problem with Brass is it's expensive if you load a lot of shells at one time. Boats

Here are the facts, which are verifiable should you be a penny counter.

Ballistics Products Inc. offers "Magtech" brand brass shotshells in seven different bore sizes at $24.99 for a 25 count box, plus shipping, which comes out at approximately $1.20 per shell.

Consider that these cases if properly cared for and cleaned will probable give a usage of a minimum of 50-75 or more reloads.  Should you get 100 shots per shell the unit cost would be .012 Cents per shot.

Do you consider .012 Cents per shot EXPENSIVE for the advantages achieved by using the brass case? 

I certainly do not, and my suspicion is that if you can afford the purchase price of a nice vintage S X S shotgun, you will not object to use brass shotshells rather than trimmed down plastic hulls at 4 or 5 Cents per shot.

I can appreciate that some folks go to an event and expend 100 or more shotshells, but Vintage shotgunners, for the most part, go for the QUALITY of the event, as opposed to the QUANTITY.  

Brass shotshells add to that quality, but that is often times over-the-head of "shoot em up" guy who is a more single dimensional in the moment thinker.

Webb
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2015 at 8:25am by »  

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:38am
Print Post  

Maynard shotshell cases made from turned brass bar stock are marginally expensive at $6.00 to 8.00 each, plus shipping added.  The initial purchase price  is not the true measure of the cases.  The pro-rata price per use needs to be given consideration.

Webb

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
Maynard shotshell cases made from turned brass bar stock are marginally expensive at $6.00 to 8.00 each, plus shipping added.  The initial purchase price  is not the true measure of the cases.  The pro-rata price per use needs to be given consideration. Webb

The duration of brass cases all depends upon the attention given to them by their owner.  If they are cleaned properly at or near the conclusion of their use, then the maximum life span will result.

On the other hand, if they are neglected and left to corrode from black powder residue, the life span of brass cases will be substantially reduced. 

That is not to say that with some restorative work they may not be brought back, because they can,  unless deeply pitting has already set in.

Webb

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I own and shoot a couple of very old British Damascus guns, I use BP only, with either brass cases or cut down paper or plastic hulls, the plastic melt in small places and can only be used once. 1 dram equals about 27grains of real black powder, and for this I use the least expensive BP I can find. I use a wad column of felt and card wads and a very large BP lube cookie, as that helps clean-up.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Web

Brass is nice to use in a shotgun  but fact is by late 19th century most of these guns were built for paper hulls. Brass was a option and the buyer could order chambers cut for Brass. Most shooting was done with paper. Federal still loads 12 G Paper,  hulls available new unfired and as range pick up's once fired. Lot of Trap shooters prefer the Federal Paper shell.

T118 
Target Shooting, Training, Practice 12 2 3/4 / 70 1200 1 1/8 / 492 7.5 ,8  Gold Medal® Paper   

T171 
Target Shooting, Training, Practice 12 2 3/4 / 70 1235 1 1/8 / 492 8 ,7.5  Gold Medal® Handicap Paper   

T172 
Target Shooting, Training, Practice 12 2 3/4 / 70 1100 1 1/8 / 492 8 ,7.5  Gold Medal® Extra-Lite Paper (LR)   

T175 
Target Shooting, Training, Practice 12 2 3/4 / 70 1180 1 / 438 8 ,8.5  Gold Medal® Paper 

Plastic you want to avoid if using Black Powder.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint