Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schuetzenfest (Read 37563 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Schuetzenfest
Reply #30 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I first heard of the Coors matches at Golden, CO in Guns and Ammo magazine. 

Does G & A mag still exist? Do people still read Gun Magazines?

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
    I have to weigh in on this topic of promoting Schuetzen events.   There are some things to bear in mind:
    One is that there are not many of us out there -- we are spread pretty thin.   The only way to solve this problem is to recruit MORE of us.   They ARE out there -- and just don't realize that this game is going on.   Many present shooters will tell you that they were introduced to our game by accident - I was.
     Another is that the matches need to be social events, as well as competitions.   The beginning of the current part of the game, 50 years ago, was chiefly social.   Their first get-togethers were essentially gun shows with live ammo.   
      I DON'T think that the challenging target is a big barrier.  Wasn't for me when I started in 25+ years ago, anyway.   Dumbing down has hurt many other games; look around and you can name them.
      If you are doing a match, offer a variety of games.  Our club shoots RF, classic Schuetzen CF, and 'big-bore" events, plus some "fun" targets, like picture targets.   If a couple of guys wants to have a side match with their own agreed-upon rules, add it to the program on the spot.   We have had Maynard matches, a 44-90 Sharps match, rook rifle matches, TD Springfield matches, etc.  "Something for everyone"
will appeal to many.
    Word-of-mouth is VERY important.   Bring someone to a match.

Hope to see you on the range in the spring.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Brudford01

Reply #32 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Not one poster mentioned the cost of shooting ! At my club here in Western PA CMP with military style rifles is big , reason cheap ammo and cheap guns . We lost over 1/2 our shooters in Trap when shot went to 40.00$ bag . Bullseye shooting is almost gone. Reason, to be competitive you needed a race gun, again the cost . Sponsers, center of country for shoots , attracting young shooters is all great , again the cost . My CPA rifle, 2000.00$ and that is doing my own stock. 500.00$ for a scope , 150.00$ for a good mold. To start Schuetzen you are looking at 3000.00$ just to get started. The guys with the deep pockets and the best equipment usually are the most competitive . Yeah I know we all know someone with an old beat up rifle that wins matches , however do they have a 1000.00$ barrel on that rifle ?
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2015 at 9:18am by Brudford01 »  

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
Not one poster mentioned the cost of shooting ! At my club here in Western PA CMP with military style.  .  .

Thanks Brudford01 , I think you just did .  .  .

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #34 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Two things: first Brett is no longer with the SSE. Second I had some long conversations about his adventures with the Grand American Schuetzenfest. I don’t think he’d do it again for love or money. The also told me about the wholesale cheating that went on (Names deleted).
Lastly Good rifles aren’t cheap and cheap guns aren’t any good.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
Lastly Good rifles aren’t cheap and cheap guns aren’t any good.40 Rod

You are being redundant.  Mr. Brudford1 just said that clearly.

If you repeat it enough times, that still does not solve the issue.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 11:31am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Dec 4th, 2015 at 9:18am:
Two things: first Brett is no longer with the SSE. Second I had some long conversations about his adventures with the Grand American Schuetzenfest. I don’t think he’d do it again for love or money. The also told me about the wholesale cheating that went on (Names deleted).
Lastly Good rifles aren’t cheap and cheap guns aren’t any good.

40 Rod

If I could get Bett's contact info, I would gladly call him. His shoots happened when I was out of shooting with my torn rotor cuff shoulder so, I didn't even know of them until a few years ago when this subject came up at that time.

But, I must say, that the first thing that needs to happen is for ASSRA and ISSA, to have unbiased, meaningful talks for the good of this sport and these rifles and I would suggest that two of the most diplomatic, BOD from both organizations, start a dialog with this type of event as the goal.

As far as cheating goes (I assume it's in OH) that can and has been dealt with (names deleteted) in the past and I'm sure that those that where caught, wish they hadn't cheated. It seems to have ruined their reputation to where they have to drop out, completely for 10 years or more.

I would like to ask a sincere question of the BOD of both ISSA and ASSRA that are on this forum. Has there ever been any talks, between each organazation, about combining efforts to organize a national match?

There are excellent shooters in both organizations and I bet that the shooters would love to compete against each other on a neutral range.

What say you?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
After cleaning up the garbage, Arlo and friend went to Alice's restaurant for a fine meal, you can anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Dec 4th, 2015 at 1:22pm:
After cleaning up the garbage, Arlo and friend went to Alice's restaurant for a fine meal, you can anything you want at Alice's Restaurant.

It would be very nice if it where that easy. But, you could also say that "We want to do this, not because it's easy but, because it's hard" AND worth it Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Frank
You make some good points about talks between the ISSA and ASSRA concerning a National Schuetzenfest. IF the two organizations decide it is in their mutual best interests to sponsor and run a national match, it would initially have to be at either Whittington Center or Etna Green (or perhaps a simultaneous telegraph match between the two locations). Even if ASSRA and ISSA combined efforts and finances, putting on an initial national match at a range other than those two locations is not doable without significant 3rd party sponsorship and support. There is simply no support infrastructure (people who could run such an event) at any other shooting site, at least I'm not aware of any.
IMO a national schuetzenfest would need to start modestly and hopefully build on success and grow over time. 
Perhaps we should take a poll to see how many of this forum's readers would even consider competing in a national schuetzenfest, how far they might be willing to travel and how much money they would be willing to spend for entry fees?
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2015 at 3:05pm by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
you can get anything you want.... blah blah.
Excepting Alice. 

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Dec 4th, 2015 at 2:19pm:
you can get anything you want.... blah blah.
Excepting Alice. 

Now, that was the short version.      Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 3rd, 2015 at 4:17pm:
I don't want to be around or shoot around limp wristed pantywastes who say. but, but, but it's to haaard! I can't do it. I can't even see that far. 

You tried making it easier, Bob. Didn't work.  

Joe.

I didn't compromise the target, just trying to attract more shooters that might not have a single shot yet.  That didn't work. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
A Poll isn't a bad idea. I'll post a thread for that.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 3rd, 2015 at 7:22pm:
I first heard of the Coors matches at Golden, CO in Guns and Ammo magazine. 

Does G & A mag still exist? Do people still read Gun Magazines?

Joe.

G&A is still around.  I subscribed for $12 per year.  I'm letting it run out.  Other than an article or two about old guns, it's all stainless steel, plastic, and high capacity, along with the tactical gear one has to have to make it all cool.  No wonder there are so many lunatics out there.  But I'm getting off topic.  I'd love to see a national schuetzenfest held somewhere in Alaska! Roll Eyes

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint