Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schuetzenfest (Read 37572 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Schuetzenfest
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I would like to suggest the Volusia county Gun and hunt Club

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Great for a winter shoot, you might have to travel, but who doesn't want to go to Florida in the winter.

Many big events are held there.

It also happens to be my hometown.
I have a spare house there that could sleep 6, if that helps on expenses.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Sleeps six? Heck, that would be more than enough for the W group.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
How bout this one. No pesky trees or berms.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joe.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Nebraska in the winter?

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Who said winter?  You said winter, didn't you?

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Okay..............let's see..........  Glasgow Montana?  You been there, Dave.  Big enough? No clubhouse so somebody's gotta bring a Winnabaga. 

Joe.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
I like the concept, and would be willing to help, but there are some major issues to be overcome. One is finding a place. Needs to have an adequate firing line and a club that is willing to let us have the range for three days. I noticed that in the ISSA Regionals, there are very few east of the Mississippi. It would be interesting to plot on a map where most of the ASSRA and ISSA members live.
When I tried to organize a Schuetzen match in Wisconsin, half the people said "I'm not coming if you do xyz" and the other half said" I am not coming unless you do xzy". I decided against working my butt off so that everyone can complain that they didn't get everything they wanted.
What this sport desperately needs is some entry level equipment and a movie like Jeremiah Johnson or Quigley Down Under, which really gave muzzle loading and BPCR shooting a tremendous shot in the arm. Not likely that anyone in Hollywood is interested in helping us out, so we will need to find a way to aggressively promote the sport. Maybe a National Schuetzenfest is one way to do it, but we will need some serious publicity. Perhaps the producers of Shooting USA, American Rifleman TV, or similar programs would help us out, but even these those programs are not available to most shooters. 
In my opinion, due to the age of the average Schuetzen shooter, we need to generate some interest in this sport and get some new blood before we tackle the problem of a national match. 
Say what you want about the AR-15, but it has gotten a lot of people interested in shooting. At one of our local clubs, with less than 150 members, 30 showed up for the opening night of "action rifle " shooting. I doubt we get more than 30 at the average ISSA regional. 
Joe S

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 12:08am
Print Post  
watchthewind wrote on Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:36am:

I believe the following is key to promoting and growing our sport.
1. Utilize rimfire matches to attract new shooters. Eventually   they will start shooting centerfire.
2. Promote what you are doing. Use social media, gun shows and events at shooting clubs.

This may not apply to the national match per se, but I tried promoting single shot allowing any one to shoot any rifle in the rimfire matches to try it out.   Only had one guy do it.  He found the 100 schuetzen target a little to tough  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Another problem with 22rf is that the competitive ammo cost much more than CF ammo and has always been more expensive but, even more today.

It's been my experiance that people get a CF first and then moved into rf.

I think that the first thing that will have to happen, is for ISSA and ASSRA to engage in meaningful talks for the good of the sport.

I'm hoping that this thread will show ASSRA & ISSA that there is enough interest to start talking to each other for the overall good of our sport.

I started Jefferson State Schuetzen Society in 1986 and anyone that was interested in any kind of shooting, knew of the Coors Matches. It was a great recruiting tool, their eyes would liight up when you talked about it.

Today, no one remembers Coors and has never heard of ISSA or ASSRA and if you try to tell them the history of single shots, in most cases, their eyes glaze over and your talking to yourself Sad

ASSRA benefited from those National matches and their membership grew substantially, more than any time before or since. That's how important that I think a National match is to our well being.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 4:12am
Print Post  
Lots of good points Frank.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 7:35am
Print Post  
A lot of people have trapdoors, Sharps and rolling block rifles, which qualify for Schuetzen competition. I would like to see a "big bore" category, like traditional rifle,  allowing smokeless or black powder, to try to get more shooters involved. 
As far as rimfire is concerned, I am not so sure the cost of target ammo is an impediment, many guns shoot quite well with something less than top priced ammo. Just my opinion, fwiw. Joe S

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmeister
When holding an all comers event trying to introduce new shooters to schuetzen, you might consider using a target with a larger center ring for that event, such as an off-the-shelf pistol target. Our German ring target can seem intimidating at first. 
Just a suggestion

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Good point Randy.  Not sure why there are so many rifles and shooters that never come to a match? I only ever had the one new shooter come to try out the match in several years of advertising it that way.  Did have a few single shot guys question the announcement on the flyer.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #28 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I don't want to be around or shoot around limp wristed pantywastes who say. but, but, but it's to haaard! I can't do it. I can't even see that far. 

You tried making it easier, Bob. Didn't work.   

Joe.

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
This sounds like you need to get Brett Boyd and the Single Shot Exchange on board.  Like a redo of the Grand American Schuetzenfest of the late 90's

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint