Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schuetzenfest (Read 37548 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Schuetzenfest
Dec 1st, 2015 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
This was discussed a few years ago but, we will do it again Smiley

Many people would like for this sport to get back to it's glory days of the 1980's and some, just don't seem to care what happens to OUR rifles and sport. Others want it but, want others to do it and they will attend.

This thread it open for all to comment and I hope it stays on a positive out look.

The two main elements here are the ASSRA and the ISSA, the WSU is welcome, also.

The model is the Coors Schuetzenfest, it had EVERYTHING that it takes to be a success, including money.

Promotion, Promotion, Promotion, is needed and access to the gun friendly media is where it needs to be directed.

The following is what I think needs to be had:

Title sponsor or sponsors.

A well known spokesman, the likes of the late John Amber. I do not know who that could be.

With the above two things, I believe the media access would be easy.

It needs to be held near a population center, for both the "hyp" and easy access for shooters and media.

CO is where the Coors matches were held and might be the best place to start it to give it that  Coors "flavor" Smiley Another advantage to CO is it should be a bit cooler there in the summer months.

I think there should be qualifing matches, with 30 top shooters from EG and 30 from Raton.

Three awards, best BR, OH and  Overall Aggregate with cash and equipment awards. Money always talks!

This would be a great advantage to the non shooting collectors, also. It will increase the value of our rifles, quite a bit.

In the Coors period, we also saw a lot of newly manufatored actions come online, that have now faded because of lack of demand.

I would encourge the ASSRA board members for their input on this subject, too.

To many that didn't see the Coors days, this sounds like a unrealistic dream but, it did happen and can happen again, all it takes is a combined effort with lots of PR work. The PR can be handled with Super Salesman that we may already have in our ranks.

I've been in this sport for 30 years and have lived and breathed it but, saw it's decline after Coors vanished Sad

This is a possible venue and can handle 60 shooters (two 30 shooter relays):

Colorado Rifle Club
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
59 miles east of Denver

The Schuetzen range has 30 covered and paved firing points at 100 and 200 yards with concrete and steel benches for all points.  25 yard and 50 yard firing points are provided for sight-in.  

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Schuetzenfest
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Frank
You have outlined a really sound concept for a national schuetzenfest. Of course there is a to-do list of several pages that goes with it (as with all matches).
I think the NRA Whittington Center, which is only about a 3 hour drive south of Denver is a far better facility. The Coors Range can accommodate 75 shooters per relay, plus Whittington Center has RV campgrounds on site, with a couple hundred spaces. Raton is only 7 miles from the range and has numerous hotels and motels. 
Both Byers and Raton share a problem in that there is NOTHING nearby for families to do while the old man shoots.
Perhaps if we think out-of-the-box, there are other suitable ranges. What if, the schuetzenfest adopted the format used in the original matches? A range with pits and pull targets would serve the purpose nicely. Even if that range has no covered firing points at 200 yards, a vinyl tent erected along the firing line with another tent immediately to the rear of the firing line for loading would be a more than adequate setup. That setup would easily handle 6 to 8 shooters per firing point (more if need be). By issuing shooting tickets, each record shot taken by a competitor would be recorded (no mulligans). Not only could there be a national schuetzenfest, it could be in the traditional format.
Let's keep the discussion going . . .

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Any other comments?

I would love to hear anyones opions on this.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Good luck Frank.  IMO, lack of younger shooter interest  is a major problem.  20 years ago I could see the end of this sport on the horizon when I retired  Cry  I'm  retired  Shocked

Looking at the matches here in the NW, too many have given up offhand and or iron sights due to normal aging processes.  From my perspective, I would not travel half way across the country to shoot only half of a national championship aggregate. 

I don't mean to quench the effort before it gets started.  I have spent many years running matches here in the NW.  ML, BP mid and LR and single shot. I have always been amazed at the meager turn out in an area with a population of 2 or 3 million even when the line was full; the participants were from a couple states and Canada. The line hasn't been full for several years.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Finding a major sponsor is a big feat! If that happened I believe it could be promoted enough to draw new shooters drawn by the prizes and festivies. St. Louis bench rest club has a very nice facility as well and more central to the country. Jmo

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Randy and I just finished this conversation on Sunday after our match. I'm glad to see other folks thinking about this. At 40 years old I think to myself...... In 30 years I don't wan't to be the only one on the firing line participating at a Schuetzen event at Ben Avery Smiley
When rounding up prizes for our event manufacturers were pretty receptive. AZ Game and Fish was interested in promoting our event and people are looking for different shooting disciplines.
I believe the following is key to promoting and growing our sport.
1. Utilize rimfire matches to attract new shooters. Eventually   they will start shooting centerfire.
2. Promote what you are doing. Use social media, gun shows and events at shooting clubs.
3. Contact the big manufactures and suggest they build rifles/equip. conducive to our sport. If enough people do it they will!
In regards to a national match..... The ASSRA vs. ISSRA concept needs to be scraped. It needs to be a show up and shoot event. Leave the politics out. Do we have enough shooters to invite only the top 30 shooters from the two events? I say if someone wants to compete let them!
Please take in mind I'm very new to this sport. If there is a history I may not be familiar with please pardon me Smiley
Thanks,
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Frank 
I like the idea except for one thing. I will not go to Colorado to shoot until they get their collective Hippy heads on straight. It was all the yuppies that moved into Golden that did in the Coors matches. I agree that there should be regionals at Ratone and Etna Green buy the grand Schuetzenfest should be at a neutral range somewhere in the middle of the country Kansas or so.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
I would drive to a well attended match with good offhand competition. Know it's Chicken or Egg but few shooting offhand it's a wasted trip for me. 

Once you load the car and start rolling Denver Raton or even Iowa & Kansas makes no difference.

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
This isn't my match, but for everyone in the USA and Canada and can be held anywhere in the mid part of the USA. I was suggesting CO only because it could be related to the original Coors matches. The more shooting positions, the better but, as I said, it should be close to a larger population center and NOT Raton or EG. That is so that no one feels that there is a "home" advantage or braging rights, a totally neutral location, held once a year.

It could be a three day match with CF only but, the "Great Vision" would be a 6 - 8 day match with 22rf and a 100 shot CF, OH "Feren" match to see if anyone can match or beat his record score and a 100 shot BR match, yet to be named. The 100 shot matches could be a additional 50 shots, added to the regular 50 shot format. 50 shots because that was the Coors format.

Our type of shooting should be a lot more welcome to the public, because of the slower paced, 19th century roots and no auto loaders. The skill should be the thing that is focal point and the art of the rifles.

Nothing in this thread is written in stone and the first thing that could set this in motion is for the boards of both the ISSA and ASSRA to start a conversation for the good of our rifles and our sport.

ASSRA has a lot of history and archives to preserve, at the rate that we are going I fear the lose of it in the next 20 years and with no one left to read about it, what value will it have?

The age of the active shooters has gone up by quite a bit, since the Coors Matches. I was 40 when I started (my 1985, ASSRA membership card is #696), I'm now 71 and the active shooters are closer to my age than they are to 40 years old. In '85, there were guy's shooting at were in their 30's and a few younger.

Frank
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2015 at 12:58pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:47am:
Frank 
I like the idea except for one thing. I will not go to Colorado to shoot until they get their collective Hippy heads on straight. It was all the yuppies that moved into Golden that did in the Coors matches. I agree that there should be regionals at Ratone and Etna Green buy the grand Schuetzenfest should be at a neutral range somewhere in the middle of the country Kansas or so.

40 Rod

I'm like really bummed, man. Getting bad vibes from your post, 40 Rod. 

We could have so much fun smokin doobie and bangin all the young Schuetzen groupie chicks between relays.  It's what we do here, out West.

Okay, I'm flexible, we all get crew cuts and have the match at Porkypine SD. I could do that for you, man. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Joe,
your hair is longer than when I last saw you but, I love your cool sun glasses Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
You've really lost it, Joe.
You should be on the bench marked "group W"
Check out this attachment, and don't Bogart.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Sorry Frank, wild hair made me trash your thread. 

Group "W"? Is that where the love is?  I'll be there!

Joe. 

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Here is a map showing the geographical center of the 48 contiguous states. The inner ring is 200 mile radius, outer ring is 300 miles.
Perhaps this will help spark an idea of where a national schuetzenfest could be held.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Lets see..............where is that members map??  Huh

Joe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint