Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gun Auction-1st. Class (Read 4316 times)
Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Gun Auction-1st. Class
Dec 1st, 2015 at 7:06am
Print Post  
01 December 2015 --

I bring to your attention, one very nice gun auction by Rock Island Auction Co. scheduled for December 04, 05, and 06, 2015.  Probably something for every category of firearms collecting, from sporting, military, civil war, western, heritage long rifles, to hand guns, and the unusual and some rarely seen.

Please visit their 16 page "flyer" for starters;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Webb

IP Logged

EricJ

Re: Gun Auction-1st. Class
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
If only I had more money and more room in the safe.  The Singer on the back page is nice, imagine how many of those are sitting in warehouses in cosmoline.  There are so many nice guns in there but I can also imagine the auction prices.

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Quote:
The Singer on the back page is nice, imagine how many of those are sitting in warehouses in cosmoline.

Eric -- Thanks for your thoughts.  I have often thought that if I could only locate one of the warehouses which you speak about, but filled with period Maynard government contract carbines still in cosmoline, I would buy everyone a round of drinks.

If not that, I would just like to have a chance to speak with Francis Bannerman himself, and talk with him about the Maynards and Rogers & Spencer's he bought as surplus following the American Civil War.

Webb

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 6:16am
Print Post  

Quote:
If only I had more money and more room in the safe.

Might I suggest a solution to your above stated situation.  You could possibly achieve more money, while at the same time gain more space in your gun safe, by selling me that very nice Maynard sporting rifle with the second barrel in .64 shot.       Wink

Webb

IP Logged

RCRBanjo

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 8:28am
Print Post  
In dealing with RIA and other auction houses I have  become very cautious.  I believe they charge about 17.5% premium if using a credit card and even charge for the cardboard and packing materials plus exorbitant shipping charges.  If buying for use is one thing but if buying for investment it could take several years to recoup all these added charges.  jmo

IP Logged

Dr.Maynard
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
In dealing with RIA and other auction houses I have  become very cautious.  I believe they charge about 17.5% premium if using a credit card and even charge for the cardboard and packing materials plus exorbitant shipping charges. jmo

Sir Banjo ---

Rock Island Auction Co. (R.I.A.) is a very professional and well regarded high level national auction service company that serves the firearms collecting community on the national level.  They are beyond reproach in their business dealing.

Your public criticism of RIA is totally without substance or merit and I reject your wanting to dictate how RIA should conduct their business.  YOU have revealed the fact that you are unfamiliar with what it means to be an independent entrepreneur in a free democratic and capitalistic society such as the United States of America.   

Your options are to purchase where ever you prefer, select, and can afford.  You clearly do not fit the RIA business model.

If McDonalds is to your liking, and suits your budget, by all means avoid Ruth's Steak House.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Hang on a second, before you fly off the handle! I didn't see his post as derogatory criticism. More like just a heads up on the fees that people should be aware of when bidding at RI. 
RI is indeed an honest company, and I'm also sure that their fees are similar to some others, and more than some others.
Just be aware, and check any auction listing to be aware of fees added to the purchase, so as a bidder you aren't surprised by hidden fees above the actual percentage shown at the site.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 9:02am
Print Post  
My dealings with RIA have always been first class.
I do believe they charge closer to 20%. It's not a secret.
The care and professionalism of their packing department bests many others.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2015 at 9:40am by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 9:05am
Print Post  
All of what I have seen on the link you provided looks like the same stock photos I have gotten from them in all the flyers they have sent out over the last couple of years. You need the actual auction catalog to see what’s really for sale.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Rock Island catalogs are very nice items in themselves. They're $60, so I wouldn't buy every one they produce, but they really are enjoyable to browse through. I have a friend who has a subscription, so occasionally get a catalog after the auction is done to browse.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint