Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Latest on the .22 ammo situation from Brownells (Read 17132 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Latest on the .22 ammo situation from Brownells
Nov 28th, 2015 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
=========
We've received questions lately on something we've all been wondering about: Why is .22 rimfire ammo still "scarcer'n hen's teeth"? The shortage of centerfire stuff ended a while ago, so what's up?

Here's the scoop from some of our industry friends who are really plugged into the ammunition business. It's not as bad as it was. Rimfire ammo IS making its way onto store shelves, but demand is still sky high, so it zooms off those shelves almost instantly, usually with a limit on the number of boxes you can have.

Premium brands of .22 LR are sticking around longer in stores because customers who were willing to pay high prices just to get any .22 ammo have slowed down their buying. But the less-expensive ammo - the "buy a brick and plink all Saturday afternoon" stuff - still gets gobbled up as soon as it hits a shelf.

The biggest issue is, unlike centerfire ammo, rimfire is produced on dedicated machinery that can only load rimfire. Centerfire machines can load many different cartridges, so if there's a big shortage of .308 Winchester, the ammo factory can switch a bunch of machines over to it and ramp up supply much faster. That's why calibers that were in short supply in 2013 and 2014, like 9mm or .223 or .45 ACP, came back a lot faster.

Rimfire is a whole other ball of wax because of the way the cases are primed. It's really, really expensive and takes a long time to set up new rimfire production machinery - so costly that manufacturers can't spend the time and money to do it unless they're absolutely sure higher demand is here to stay, so the .22 LR production capacity in the U.S. isn't going to expand much any time soon. As long as demand for less-expensive rimfire ammo remains so strong, it will continue to be hard to get. Our guys tell me supply will probably stay very tight right through 2016.
===============

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Latest on the .22 ammo situation from Brownells
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Back when .22RF ammo production went extinct in USA, I bought a bunch of British (Eley) and various European brands. Still have enough left for a few more years at my present rate of shooting.

Not sure I buy the story you report re why .22rf production in USA is so laggard.

Grisen

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Being as I retired from a career in manufacturing, (last 15 years in automotive), I do buy what Texasmac posted.  High volume manufacturing is a tough, complex business.  It took us about three years from decision date to get a cylinder block line to run production.  Granted making .22RF ammo is not as complex, but I'd strongly doubt that the machinery to make .22RF ammunition is a commodity.  Just getting the machinery designed, approved, ordered, built, and delivered might easily be a year.  Then you could spend months sorting out all the malfunctions.  Maybe you get up and running in time for the Feds to ban your product.    

<div class=

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Maybe my memory is really bad, but, I recall lots of Made In America .22RF ammo on store shelves and Internet stores before it all turned belly up and went extinct. Did the manufactures of .22RF ammo destroy ALL the equipment they had been using to produce .22RF?? What happened to that "dedicated" equipment?? Why are we now told that it is "SO expensive to put manufacture of .22RF ammo in operation again???

I remain a skeptic. 
Grisen

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update, Wayne.  I have been dealing with Brownell's since way back when and they have never tossed any cow patties my way.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
To the best of my knowledge there is no .22LR target ammo made in the USA. Only the everyday plinking/hunting ammo. Perhaps CCI Green Tag, but nothing else that I am aware of. All .22LR ammo that is target quality is made in Europe on lines that Eley built either for themselves or for others (Lapua, etc.).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge there is no .22LR target ammo made in the USA

CCI - Federal - Winchester are making them and are on the market ...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And might add ... there are 3 of us in the States making Black Powder 22LR reloads! Grin

Here's my take on the availability of 22 rimfires:
* CCi & Federal are owned by ATK.  ATK has 2 major small arms ammo contracts - Home Land Security & the military.  So they basically shut the rimfire production line down for commercial sporting sales to concentrate on the centerfires
* Winchester? Who knows what their production run plans are for any ammunition or powder! 

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
There are a few more USA-made target 22 LR ammos, per listing in Midway USA, 7 today:

Federal AutoMatch
CCI Pistol Match
CCI Green Tag
Federal Premium Gold Medal Target
Federal Premium Gold Medal Match
Winchester T22 Target
Remington Target Long Rifle

CCI Green Tag, Federal Auto Match and Federal Premium Gold Medal are only USA-made .22LR target ammo I recall hearing other shooters talking about. The first two about 2X more costly than what I have been paying.

Stuff I bought some years ago was mostly Eley Club, Eley Target, SK, RWS and Aguila, all at about $8,00/box of 50. There are some difference in groups at 100m, depending perhaps partly on which gun and ammo. 1"-2" 10-shot groups at 100 m/yds are SOP, often depending on my ability to circumvent effects of catarakts.

Grisen

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
The Federal Match ammo is Loaded by RWS. Even has the RWS head stamp on it

Wolf is made by SK which in return is loaded by Lapua .... again same head stamp on them. Wolf Match Extra same as SK Rifle Match. At Champions the price is the same for Wolf and SK.

Norma is also loaded by RWS. 

CCI is reputedly loaded by Federal and/or Speer. Green Tag used to shoot well for me, but the new seems to be much different these days. May just be that my new Shilen barrel doesn't like it while my old GM barrel did.

Just because Winchester & Remington put "Target" on the box does not make it target ammo. Shoot some groups of the real target ammo at 100yd & 200yd and then try some of the phony stuff and you'll see.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
I've heard that "ATK shut down the rimfire lines" before, but I've also read authoritatively that it's urban legend, not to say Bravo Sierra.  

I believe the latter.  There's no machinery in a rimfire line that could be used to make centerfire ammo, so there'd be no benefit to them in it.   I think the story may be trying to hark back to WW2, when rimfire ammo did disappear for a few years because the military ammo demand was taking all the brass and powder that could be made. That situation does not obtain today.   Last I read CCI was running 24/7, putting out 4 million rounds per day.   I'm sure the rest are doing the same.  

There's been a huge number of new shooters buying .22 rifles and pistols.  They all want to shoot.  That's the problem. Exacerbated by hoarders and scalpers who buy what's on Walmart shelves and run home to list it on Gunbroker or Craigslist.  There's still guys offering ammo at $15 a box around here.    

Reluctance to build new capacity will disappear once we get the Dictator Wannabee out of office.

CCI and Remington both report that they are increasing capacity.

Since CCI and Federal are both under the ATK umbrella, it's not a surprise that some ammo marked for one is made by the other.  As far as I know, the Speer name has never been used to market .22 ammo.  

I see that ATK has just this year spun off all the sporting goods businesses including ammo into a new company called Vista Outdoor.    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2015 at 11:16pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Nov 28th, 2015 at 10:18pm:

Just because Winchester & Remington put "Target" on the box does not make it target ammo. Shoot some groups of the real target ammo at 100yd & 200yd and then try some of the phony stuff and you'll see.

Ain't THAT the truth!

<div class=

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
"Just because Winchester & Remington put "Target" on the box does not make it target ammo. Shoot some groups of the real target ammo at 100yd & 200yd and then try some of the phony stuff and you'll see".

X3 !!!!

That cheap bulk plinkin stuff is just that.

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Yeah, fairly clear 'Target' means 'standard velocity' for the major US brands.

Never had any Green Tag that would shoot in my various 'match rifles' either. And my Smith M-41 won't even cycle with the stuff. Bulk packed SK is my choice now. Groups nearly as well as Eley, and leaves my hands so soft and silky smooth Wink

IP Logged

digitall423
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I was in Walmart last week and wandered by the sporting goods counter. I asked the clerk if .22 ammo was still flying off the shelves. She say yes, but they weren't getting much. Go figure,

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Wesg, if you feel ok sharing the information, where do you get the bulk packed SK ammo?

Thanks
Regards,
Stubb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint