Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Moving a safe (Read 10054 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Moving a safe
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I am going to call the guy that originally moved it for the guy I am buying it from and see what he will charge. It is a lock company that does that. Will go from there depending on the cost. You can move most anything with a come a long if you want to. The good thing is that I have no steps to deal with and a concrete floor on both ends.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
They want $450. A little steep I think. Went and looked at the safe again today. Can actually scoot it on the concrete floor but worried about trying to lay it down. Tried to take off the door to make it more manageable and couldn't seem to get it off. Top hinge on the door hit the top of the door frame before it cleared the hinge on the safe. It is an older Liberty Lincoln 25 model. I was told by a friend who has done this that the door should lift off if it is open all the way. Am I missing something here?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Without looking at your safe specifically, I can speculate a bit.  The thing you might be missing is the pins may have to be driven out of the hinge they are captive in.  When you drive them out, they slip into the other looser hinge, and you only have to drive them up enough to get them out of the captive hinge to release the door.   

When I got my safe, it was cheap because they had lost the combination, and the pins and hinges were worn enough that the door drug on the bottom.

I took the door off, drove the pins out, and turned new pins on my lathe to fit.  When I re-installed, I added hardened washers to space the door back to the right level.  Has worked flawlessly since.

My safe, once the door is open enough to clear the frame, will lift off, as the hinges are external.  If they are internal, hidden hinges, the pins might have to be removed.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 9:22am
Print Post  
You can make it safer to tip the safe if you block the bottom, and back your truck up to the safe, with tailgate down, and then winch it over against the tailgate. Once it's against the tailgate, you can slowly drive away and let it gradually tip back safely. This way it will be a controlled situation, and keep people out of harms way.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cslcal

Reply #19 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
It's not too hard to get a safe on and off a pickup bed. I ha the same move as you from the garage into the house with no stairs. I rented a piano dolly for $15. We had the safe in the house in position in less than 20 minutes. 

Al Foust

Sierra Silhouette Rep

IP Logged

stevens52

Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
I moved two of them not long ago. Your initial idea is exactly what I did. I used a refrigerator dolly and two guys. We left it on the dolly as it was loaded. The dolly made it easier to get off the pickup. It really wasn't hard to do.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
A couple of guys can move a 600 pound safe pretty easy. I have move numerous heavier ones with just another person and I'm not a big guy. Remember sliding it does not require you lift the full 600 lbs.

IP Logged

ireload2

Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Put a sliding mover's pad or carpet and piece of card board or a corrugated political sign in the bed of your truck. Lock the door and lay the back of the safe on the tailgate. Get  guys to lift the safe into the truck on its back. 
Remove the same way
You can piss ant it around with the 2 wheel dolly but a mover's 4 wheel furniture dolly is much easier to use. The first time I moved mine I did not have any dolly so I used cardboard on the floor and pushed it along with a piece up upside down carpet.

I have moved it twice since then and never needed more than one guy to help run it up the ramp into the UHaul trucks.

slumlord44 wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:07pm:
Got a great deal on a used Liberty Safe. Weighs about 600 pounds as near as I can figure. I will have to re configure the interior because the guy modified it to use as a general safe for his business. Got it for $200 which is a steal . Trying to figure out how to move it. No stairs involved. Need to get it on my truck and into my garage. I am thinking me and a strong guy and a decent refrigerator  dolly should be able to get it on and off my pick up. What are your experiences and thoughts?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint