Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Deluxe Low Wall #3 barrel (Read 13323 times)
chawk

Deluxe Low Wall #3 barrel
Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:48am
Print Post  
A few days ago I took possession of a beautiful deluxe Low Wall in 22 short with a #3 barrel.  The bore is fair/good.  This rifle left the factory with a #2 barrel but it has also been back to Winchester twice in its life and I like to think that it was re-barreled by Winchester at one of those times.  I know that a #3 barrel is not supposed to fit on a second variation low wall but if you look at one of the pictures you can see that the barrel dimensions have been reduced where it enters the receiver.  I'm also pretty sure that someone has refinished the stock but they did a nice job and I am happy with it.  If I remove the buttplate you can see that someone has drilled out two very large holes in the buttstock that I will have to fill up.  I don't want that beautiful wood to crack. 

I took it out to the range for the first time yesterday and with cci ammo I was able to get about 1 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards.  Given that some of you guys shoot more in a week than I have in my entire life, I think it is fair to say that I am the weak link in the chain and that the rifle is certainly capable of doing whatever I will ask it to.  

When the time comes to repair the buttstock I will certainly ask some questions here but my question for today is about the ss trigger and the sights. Out of about 75 rounds yesterday it didn't work about 4 or 5 times.  I would set it and then when pressed I could hear a click but the hammer would not fall.  I could then pull the trigger normally or reset the trigger and it would work then.  I assume that the screw just needs adjustment but I thought I would check with you guys first.  What direction do I screw it to make it heavier?

Sights:  Every single shot was a bit left yesterday.  Do I just need to drift the front sight or I am doing something wrong?  I have very limited exposure to tang sights so it is possible I am just using it wrong.

Thanks for reading all of this,

Colin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Here you can see where the barrel has been "shaved" to fit on a low wall.

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2015 at 4:58pm by chawk »  

IP Logged

chawk

Re: Deluxe Low Wall #3 barrel
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Tiny hints of case colors.

Big barrel, small hole...

I don't know if this was a factory rebarrel, but I love it anyway.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2015 at 10:00am by chawk »  

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Chawk,

Great find! You don't find a low wall very often with that gorgeous wood. 
As to the single set trigger I am sure the much more expert posters here will have some good advice. The first thing I would do is take it apart and give it a good cleaning. If it's working part of the time, I would expect it to have all the correct set trigger parts. The single set trigger is not very complicated on a low wall. If that doesn't work then you will need to look further, spring, fly, etc.

Richard

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
We did this yesterday, didn't we? Again,take it down and muck out the crud that's probably inside- .22s in particular, since they NEVER get cleaned do they? 
To adjust the trigger (after cleaning, of course) you want to back it out to make the pull a little heavier. Do this by trial and error, setting and pulling until it's where you like. Don't go too far either way, or it'll do funny stuff. 
You have the idea on moving the front sight. 
Great rifle, too- I'd love to have that one.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I've taken off the lower tang and cleaned everything out.  It was actually very clean already but a little more cleaning and lube never hurt anything.  I've put it back together and backed the screw out a 1/4 of a turn. It will get tested again on Tuesday.   

There is a xxx on the lower tang so it looks like I have some very nice wood, not that I needed the markings to tell me that.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Glad that one's clean- but you're right, cleaner is better. Anyhow, you can "click" the trigger by setting it and pulling the trigger without cocking the rifle- won't hurt to test it that way, but it's not the same as shooting. Good way to determine if it's working, though. Good luck.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Teeth fell out, drooling.....................

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle. Just one comment: Let the hammer all the way down when testing set triggers. Don't bang against the safety notch.
Chuck

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:40pm:
Teeth fell out, drooling.....................

Joe.

Agree with you, Joe.  chawk, you got a gem.  I would love to own one like it. Think long and hard about any restoration.  Sometimes a fair/good bore will surprise you with its accuracy. Talk to Curt Hardcastle about restoring the stock.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 8:16am
Print Post  
One way to test functioning is to use a strip of leather or similar a material on the breech block to soften the hammer blow.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 8:39am
Print Post  
I have no intention of changing anything on this rifle that doesn't need fixing.  Here is a pic of the buttstock.  Someone did a number on this thing.  The top screw doesn't actually tighten so the only thing holding the buttplate on is the single screw on the rear.  The gigantic holes you see here are about 4 inches deep.  Does this need to be fixed?  If so, can it be fixed by an amateur or should I send it to a professional?  Also, why in gods name would someone do this?  There are extra screw holes that don't line up with anything.

I've been testing the trigger by pulling the bullet and powder from a normal round and using that to soften the blow.  Fire.  Rotate cartridge to fresh, uncrushed rim.  Repeat. 

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
It's really hard to tell from your snapshot, but it looks like there might be evidence of some dry rot. You can check by pressing your thumbnail or the point of a small knife blade (very lightly) into different areas of the end facing the camera. That thin area on the left side could potentially cause a crack.  Send a better photo to a professional gun restorer for a their opinion. It could be a fairly simple fix that will save you some grief later on.  JMHO

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I saw that rifle on guns international. Nice gun!! .22 short target ammo is more available. Would try some different types. I personally wouldn't mess with the stock- you guys think that the holes will make it more prone to split ? I worry more about putting a different wood type in there that is then moistened with wood glue putting pressure on that fancy grain than just leaving it.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Since it does not "letter" (isn't original to the factor) I wouldn't worry about refurbishing. If were mine, I would probably have about $500 worth of engraving done and then case-color the receiver and blue the barrel.

For the wood, Curt Hardcastle (mentioned above) in Silver City (?), NM and our own Steve Durren (who posts here) up in MI are two folks who do stunning wood work and could fix that buttstock. Closer to home is Turnbull Restorations, in NY state.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I think the stock is a pretty easy fix myself. I would use hardwood dowel in the holes, which I get from Woodcrafters. Which hardwood isn't really important, as long as it's close to walnut (oak?) and the right size for the holes. I'd fit them to the holes loosely, and mark them for length. Then cut them, and use glass bedding compound or epoxy to install them in the holes. I'd also carve a small sliver plug for the screw hole and epoxy one there too. I use Elmer's glue on screw plugs in buttstocks to repair stripped wood holes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint