Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Deluxe Low Wall #3 barrel (Read 13341 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Deluxe Low Wall #3 barrel
Reply #15 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Having been a cabinet maker for a while (long, long ago), my thought was similar to Vall's. Then I wondered if doing the screw hole his way, but using some dense foam filler in the big holes might not be a good method. Anybody do that before? That way if you really wanted to- can't imagine why- you could just dig it out and revert to dowels. Just sitting here in a snow storm with nothing on my little mind. 
Happy Thanksgiving from one of the turkeys............... Pat

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #16 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I've been in contact with Curt Hardcastle and he is willing to fix it.  I haven't decided if I am going to have him fix it yet though.  I am a little worried about causing more damage and potentially splitting the stock.  I'll mull this one over for a few days and then give him a call next week.

Thanks for your thoughts.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I would trust Curt if he is confident that he can fix it for you.  I bought a nice Borchardt that he built and it is very well done.

That is a beautiful rifle by the way Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Engrave and refinish !!??? Poor rifle has spent the last century earning that nice mellow look. Like getting a boob job for your grandmother.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
But there are a few foxy grandmothers  out there Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but this rifle is like a foxy grandmother that doesn't need the boob job. Perfect as it is.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Zack T wrote on Nov 25th, 2015 at 5:30pm:
Poor rifle has spent the last century earning that nice mellow look.

How do you know that? The rebarrel could have been done as recently as 25yr ago, but no one knows. As the OP stated, it does not 'letter', so may not an original. Beautiful wood and the metal could be brought back to match it.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 11:33am
Print Post  
The statement that it's been back twice must have come from somewhere. Plenty have been lettered with the original specs noted, but the changes afterward, while from Winchester, are not noted in the shipping books. That seems to me to be an acceptable rifle that was probably done by the good folks in New Haven. Anyhow, it'd be a shame to mess with it, and I commend his choice to not change a thing.
Happy Thanksgiving, guys. You all add a bunch to what I'm grateful for.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #23 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I have been talking with our own resident 1885 expert Bert H. about the originality of this barrel.  He does not think that Winchester put this barrel  on the gun. I don't know who put it on there but I think that it has been on there for a long time.  If you were putting a new 22 barrel on this gun in the last 100 years you would have put a 22 lr barrel on it right?  The fact that the bore looks old and that it is 22 short suggests to me that this was rebarrelled a long time ago.  Perhaps that is faulty logic but it's the logic I'm using.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #24 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
It's a neat old rifle with a set trigger. I want it bad! 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
What's interesting is that the markings .22 short don't appear to line up at 12 o'clock but that the #3 stamp at the bottom of the barrel lines up with the center of ebony insert. Huh  I'd fix the hole is in the stock and leave it as it is Bob

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Hello Chawk. Really nice rifle. We get a lot of Winchester High & Low walls out here in Australia that were rebarreled at some point later in their life with a Winchester barrel shipped out from the factory and fitted by a local gunsmith (too far & too much trouble to send the rifle back for work...everything went by sea back in those days!!). 
We refer to them here as "postal barrels" because they carry a stamp with a P inside a circle (not to be confused with the Win proof mark), usually at rear of barrel on top. Does your barrel have this stamp? Interesting too, that it is a nickel steel barrel in .22 short. 
I'd listen to what Bert H says, he's been a great help identifying our Winchester SS rifles downunder.

I have a HW in .303 Brit (Win #3 rd nickel steel barrel with "postal stamp") that has similar but neater large holes drilled in the stock & they were filled with about 1 lb of lead shot to make the rifle heavier. Perhaps the guy who put that #3 barrel on yours was trying to balance up the rifle for off hand shooting.
I'd leave the external finish the way it is. Great rifle!
Spud

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #27 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Nov 26th, 2015 at 1:50pm:
What's interesting is that the markings .22 short don't appear to line up at 12 o'clock but that the #3 stamp at the bottom of the barrel lines up with the center of ebony insert. Huh  I'd fix the hole is in the stock and leave it as it is Bob

Just sold a XXX wood deluxe Low Wall in .22 Short, with small Swiss buttplate. Very similar gun, except mine was ordered with no checkering. The caliber was not on the top flat at 12 o'clock on mine either, but barrel number was by the ebony insert. The caliber .22 Short was on the 45 degree left flat on mine.
Mine also was sent back to the factory in 1909 to be changed from a #2 half octagon 24" barrel, to a 28" full octagon #1 weight barrel. All detailed in the factory letter, which is unusual to have that detail of a return for repair.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #28 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
There is no P stamp on this barrel anywhere.

22 short is at 12:00.  If it looks otherwise then it is just an illusion caused by the photo.  

Research continues...

Val:  I'd love to see some photos of that rifle.  You were very lucky to have the rebarrel documented by the factory.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Don't give up on the Short. CCI Target Shorts are competitive in gallery shooting until you get in the 1200 class.  I think you have the makings of a great gallery rifle.  You need to upgrade the sights to allow a bit better adjustment (either a windage front or a Soule-type gallery tang).  From there, it is just practice and more practice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint