Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 38-55 Low Wall! (Read 5752 times)
chawk

38-55 Low Wall!
Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:53am
Print Post  
I've seen many actions of moderate strength (re)chambered in questionable, higher power cartridges.  Ballards and Low walls are often a victim of this.  This one goes way beyond questionable to downright dangerous. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I especially like the safety section.   

"Safety: Buyer is solely responsible for determining that a used gun is safe to shoot."
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:58am by chawk »  

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Re: 38-55 Low Wall!
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I don't know much, but I wouldn't shoot that thing. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Wonder what the extra screw is for?

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:35am
Print Post  
also look like it's got a high wall lower tang in it something not right there. nice wood check fit SH1T. the Winchester roll stamp on the barrel look new it's heavy on the ends light in the middle.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Yep. While the OP may be smart enough to not overload a 38-55 LW, what about the next owner? We have someone who occasionally shots one of our matches with a 38-55 LW and I always make sure I'm on a different relay so I can have plenty of distance and obstructions between me and the possibly 'flying metal'. The sad part is his 15yr old daughter is generally the one shooting the rifle.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. I would consider a 38-55 on a low wall a danger to the shooter and to anyone who is unlucky enough to be shooting on either side of him. The person stupid enough to buy and shoot a 38-55 lo wall is stupid enough to load it up to max recommended loads. This is a tragedy looking for a fool. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 10:06am
Print Post  
But you guys think nothing of standing next to the guy shooting an Aydt or a trapdoor or a Stevens 44 or a Ballard.   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Nice! They can't find a sucker locally, so put it on the internet and find a bigger audience to find one! Somebody did a nice job of egging out the screw holes in the receiver with their power buffer!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
As for the extra screw on the side- I'd venture that in a former life it sported a saddle ring. 

Wouldn't it be a shame if he took and original trapper model and made this thing?

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I looked and there were 39 bids placed by 9 different bidders.  In looking down the site I noticed a Browning BPCR with a huge caveat Black Powder only.  Were the Badger Barrels too weak for smokeless?  Seems like in modern times all centerfire barrels would be made out of high strength steel just because of liability.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I looked and there were 39 bids placed by 9 different bidders.  In looking down the site I noticed a Browning BPCR with a huge caveat Black Powder only.  Were the Badger Barrels too weak for smokeless?  Seems like in modern times all centerfire barrels would be made out of high strength steel just because of liability.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Bulseyetom wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 7:12pm:

I have read elsewhere that the black powder only banner isn't so much an indictment of the strength of the barrel or action, but a recognition that there aren't any smokeless load data available to folks when the rifle was made. I don't know if this is true, but it seems plausible.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I believe that those Badger black powder barrels were made from screw machine steel. There has been much back and forth about the appropriateness of screw machine steel for barrels in general and smokeless loads especially.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Chuck V
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
previous poster was correct-
you will note the "black powder only" caution was on rifles originally chambered for cartridges that did not have sammi standards for chambers, pressures, etc
nothing at all wrong with the action or rifle, just stick with the original chambering and enjoy!
Chuck V

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 9:35am:
also look like it's got a high wall lower tang in it something not right there. nice wood check fit SH1T. the Winchester roll stamp on the barrel look new it's heavy on the ends light in the middle.

Looks like it might be rolled on crooked too.

And since the 38-55 cartridge wasn't a cartridge that was developed by Winchester,  I don't believe the factory caliber stamp would have included the "W.C.F."

So, just to throw the question out there, when you decide to purchase a firearm that has enough indicators that makes you believe it has most likely been screwed with (hell, most of the posts found in this forums gunsmithing section should tell us that most old guns have likely been screwed with at one time or another, and there is a good chance many via the parkenfarker method), what obligations regarding safety does you, the buyer/shooter accept?
Just blame the seller, or...?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint