Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Could this be Col Bodine's 1875 Creedmoor Rifle ? (Read 31662 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Could this be Col Bodine's 1875 Creedmoor Rifle ?
Oct 25th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
A year and a half ago I bought a rifle from a friend and collector.  This Remington Rolling Block is not like any others I have seen.  My friend owned it for 15 years until he made a comment that led to a deal.  I bought the rifle for the rifle and not the story, but there are quite a few things that lead me to believe that this "could be" Col John Bodine's rifle used at the 1875 match at Dollymount, Ireland.

A few standard details.  This rifle is not serial numbered.  The barrel is 34" long with an excellent bore and is chambered in .44-77 Sharps.  The rifle has a long range tang sight.  The rifle originally had a bead front sight but the previous owner replaced it with a windgauge front sight.  It has a checkered horn shotgun-style buttplate, horn forend tip and a block of horn inlet into the top of the comb for a rear sight base.  The barrel is browned, not blued.  The top of the receiver has a raised oval with several patent dates.  "L.L. Hepburn" is stamped several times under the forearm.

My friend made a loose connection when looking at Harper's Weekly covering the Creedmoor Match of 1874 when the U.S. team, including Hepburn and Bodine, won against the Irish. The woodcut illustrations taken from photographs showed the team and its rifles.  Bodine held a standard Remington Creedmoor.

In the next year, the Irish invited the Americans to a rematch in Ireland.  Bodine was on the team again, but Hepburn was not.  The pictures following the match were in Harper's Weekly (July 10,1875) of the American Team after having won against the Irish.  The woodcut drawing shows Bodine using a rolling block rifle with a carved stock (pistol grip area) snd black ipped forearm.  The rifle in the drawing does not have a windgauge sight either.

• Bodine's Remington rifle show in Harper's woodcut matches this rifle in the details of the barrel, stock carving and black forend tip.  the other Remington shooters on the team are clearly shown with standard Remington Creedmoor rifles.

• We know that Hepburn supervised the making of the Remington rifles for the US team.

• Hepburn's stamp is under the forearm in several places.  There is no serial- or assembly number

• Bodine believed that full round barrels were more accurate and made this point in a letter to Sharps Rifle Co on May 15th, 1877 (printed in Frank Sellers book)

... more ...
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2015 at 8:25pm by Joe Do... »  

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: Could this be Col Bodine's 1875 Creedmoor Rifle ?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
  • The specially shaped receiver and company marking location are more of an English style.  Many of the English and Irish shooters used e back position, of which Bodine did not, and would explain the inset (but unused) sight seat on the heel of the stock

Yes ... I know all of the above is very loose but that 1875 team picture showing two obvious conventional Remington Creedmoor rifles and the third clearly different rifle in Col John Bodine's hands.

... open to thought, opinions and even polite criticism ...

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
more pics ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Joe, is it just my imagination, or do I see two plugged holes in the top of the stock where the sight base recess is? If it was not used, then why would the holes be plugged?
Certainly a gorgeous gun, and one I'd be proud to own!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Thank you MarlinGuy ... it's amazing the things you can pick out from a photo that I miss with the naked eye.  Looking at the rifle, they look like two impressions but not plugged holes.  Good point ... thanks again ...

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Wow, that's really a Nice Rolling Block!
Never have seen a butt stock done quite like that before!

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Simply beautiful.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 3:45am
Print Post  
Hello Joe,
Have you tried weighing the rifle? According to the Creedmoor Rules it should weigh no more than 10 pounds., including sights. Otherwise I would say the likelihood is that it was Col. Bodine's or another Creedmoor Team member supported by Remington. Especially as L.L. Hepburn was in charge of Remington's custom target rifle shop at that time.

The only item that may not be correct as far as I can see is the rear sight staff which although high enough, has no fine adjustment screw, an item that was vital for very accurate Long Range Target work. This sight could of course be a later addition, it is more useful for hunting because it can be rapidly adjusted than a target sight fitted with a very slow screw adjustment. Speed of sight adjustment isn't vital on the target range. 

It's a pity there are no Remington Factory Records for these rifles, but given the huge numbers of Rolling Block Rifles made it would have been a thankless task book keeping.

Regarding the rear stock heel mounted sight base. The rifle is likely to have been made with the base fitted at the factory to ensure perfect fit and squareness. It's simple enough to remove two screws and simply plug their holes if the sight is not required. Alternately if these are just impressions in the wood they could act as a guide to drilling pilot holes for the screws should the sight base be fitted later.

Harry
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2015 at 4:08pm by »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 9:41am
Print Post  
my sugestion would be to get ahold of Dick Binger at Stotts Creek Armory. He may have some Knowledge on Bodine's rifle

40 Rod

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Setting up the proper location and slant for the heel sight at the factory would be important of a long target rifle.  It is not something you can just screw on the end of the stock and start shooting.  That location and getting it to track with bullet without using up all the windage on the front site doesn't just happen  by accident.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Would really appreciate seeing a full length picture of this one.

Thanks

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
That is a very unique rifle. I will follow this thread as I am very interested in Creedmore rifles.
  Don

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
a few more pics by request ...

IP Logged

patriot
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Very cool!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
I couldn't begin to say who owned that back in the day, but he must have been a very proud owner, as must you be. I particularly like the proportion of the forestock on that one. Probably that way for a reason, but it just looks right. Now, I must ask- have you fired it at all?

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Another person you might contact regarding the provenance of this rifle is Ron Peterson, of Peterson Guns in Phoenix.  He own's a couple of documented rifles from the early International Creedmoor matches and might be able to shed some light on yours.

And thank you for those photos.  They're a real treat.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2015 at 11:25pm by Smoke »  

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:10am
Print Post  
That's Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque;-)

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Doh!

Thanks

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Joe,
I can understand how you may think that the rifle shown could have been Bodine's.  I have that woodcut from "Harper's Weekly" framed and on my wall.  Looking at it, I can see the forend tip that you describe but the pistol grip area is too undefined to show that kind of work.  Also, if you look at the receiver, it shows 3 pins going through it which rollers do not have.  I think perhaps the worker making the woodcut took a few liberties. However, that doesn't mean that your rifle wasn't made for somebody that aspired to make the Creedmoor team or perhaps even Bodine in 1875.  He was known to have owned many rifles.  I'd love to own his 1881 Deeley & Edge Creedmoor rifle.
I found my article written by George Wingate who was Capt of the American team and he describes L.L. Hepburn as making Fulton's rifle and his own for the 1874 matches.  Here is a picture of Fulton's rifle when it sold about 8-9 years ago. I wish it showed the pistol grip to see if it had any elaborate carvings.If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see an actual picture of the team and the rifle Bodine shot in the 1874
matches.  I found Wingate's article to be one of the best descriptions of the 1874 matches.  Good luck in your search.  Bob
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2015 at 11:06am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Some observations between Fultons and this beautiful rifle:

The tang sight bases are very simular and neither appear to have screw adjustment.

In the 1874 team picture, Bodines rifle seems to have a pewter forestock tip.

It also looks like a octagon barrel.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Blow the picture in the link up to 400% and note that the rifle Bodine is holding has a roll over cheek piece on a straight shotgun butt stock, a pewter forearm tip and maybe a Beach foresight on a half octagon round barrel .  
The other 3 rifles shown are '74 Sharps in 44-77 Sharps that were made specifically for the Creedmoor Match in addition to Remingtons.  Two round barrels with splinter forearms and the other an octagonal barrel 
Joe, your rifle has no cheek piece, is a perched stock, full round barrel & no picture of the forearm or sight on your rifle provided
Whether it is a Bodine rifle or not ... it's drop dead gorgeous!

For providence to the rifle, I would suggest you contact the NRA - Instructions in your current NRA Magazine with pictures ... 

NRA
Dope Bag, NRA Publications
11250 Wapples Mill Rd
Fairfax, VA 22030-9400
Must contain the member's code line from an American Rifleman or American Hunter mailing label or membership card with a self addressed stamped legal size envelope 
"Allow 10 weeks for a reply"
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2015 at 11:17pm by »  

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #21 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
John ... The link you listed goes to "page not found".  Can I ask you check it and post again?

Also I added a second group of photos on the first tab on this thread, are you able to view those?

Thank you for your help and patience,
Joe Dobrzynski

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
It's the same link that Old-Win posted

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Is there any possiblity that it could be Hepburns rifle?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Again, I don't know who this lovely critter belonged to, but, regarding the photo of Bodine with the metal-tipped rifle and Hepburn's presence in the photo; Wasn't Hepburn absent from one of the matches? This leaves the possibility that the rifle owned by Joe could have been another gun that was used in another year? No knowledge, just my mind's wandering around.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Joe, bad news. The Creedmoor match rifles were 44-90 not 44-77 per the NRA Museum

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

The American competitors used both Sharps and Remington .44 caliber breech-loading single-shot rifles that were loaded with heavy powder charges and heavy paper-patched bullets. The most effective of all long-range target cartridges were the .44-90 Sharps and .44-90 Remington. The .44-90 Remington cartridge was loaded with a 550-grain bullet which had a muzzle velocity of 1250 f.p.s. The .44-90 Sharps cartridge was typically loaded with a 520-gr. bullet capable of 1270 f.p.s. Muzzle energy of both of these rounds was about 1850 ft.-lbs, compared to 1600 ft.-lbs. for the standard .45-70 Government cartridge. Neither cartridge approached the power level of the .44-100 Remington or .45-100 Sharps rounds which delivered over 2,200 ft.-lbs. of muzzle energy.

The special high-quality Sharps and Remington rifles furnished to the American team were fitted with precision sights. The usual wind-gauge target front sight was mounted in a dovetail cut in the barrel near the muzzle. This assembly provided accurate lateral adjustment of the front sight by means of a screw. Accurate scales were engraved on the front side of the sight assembly so that precise measurements of windage could be made. The sight tube or globe was slotted so that interchangeable sighting inserts could by used to provide optimum sight patterns for various target conditions.

The elaborate aperture rear sights fitted to these rifles were either mounted on the receiver tang or attached to the top of the buttstock forward of the buttplate. The latter sight position was used by some shooters who preferred to lie on their backs and support the rifle muzzle with their knees or feet. The long sight leaves employed on these rear sights pivoted on a fixed base. The shooter aimed through a tiny aperture peephole drilled in the center of the 1-inch diameter sunshade disk. The vertical position of the sighting aperture disk was usually determined by a long slender screw less than 1/8" in diameter, with a 20-pitch thread that permitted very accurate elevation adjustments. These tall rear sights were precision instruments, and often included vernier adjustment scales.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
John, they may have loaded them up since they had a long throat but all of the ones I have seen, including the one that fired the winning shot, used a 44-77 case. Here's something: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Roy Marcot's book on Remington Rolling Block Rifles would seem to disagree with the .44-90 being used! On page 135 he states that, "E Remington & Sons decided that their longrange rifles would be chambered for .44-77 Remington centerfire ammunition, which contained a paper patched 400 grain bullet."

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Careful measurements show that it is chambered for the 44-77 cartridge with a fairly long throat or ball seat.

Man ... this is like chasing a Shadow at midnight!
Sure would like to help Joe determine the providence of his rifle though

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #29 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
I have not shot this rifle nor have I made a chamber cast.  I made the simple assumption that it was chambered in 44-77.  Someone will likely correct me, but I thought that the .44-90 cartridge case is the same as the .44-77 with the bullet seated out a bit further to allow for the extra powder.

The bore diameter at the muzzle measures 0.448" (using pin gauges).  This is exactly the same as my other Remington Creedmoor rifle.  It very well could be .44-90.  There isn't any caliber marking anywhere on the barrel.

Regarding the competition matches, years and shooters.  Both Bodine and Hepburn were on the American Team in 1874 and the photo of Bodine from that Match shows him holding a 'standard' Creedmoor rifle.  Bodine was on the American Team at the Match at Dollymount in 1875, but Hepburn was not.  What I need to find is a photo from the 1875 Match.  This goes back to my original comments regarding the drawing in Haper's Weekly from 1875.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #30 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
The .44-77 is I believe 2.25" long, but the .44-90 is 2.63" long. It may well be that the extra length is simply neck length, and the rest the dimensions match.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Joe,
Try contacting David Minshall in the U.K.  He goes by DBM on this website or through the Shiloh website.  He also has info at the Research Press.  Bob
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2015 at 11:05am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #32 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Both the body and the neck are longer on the 44-90 than the 44-77. It could have been re chambered at some point lon ago when it was a working gun and not an artifact.

40 Rod

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #33 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
check out this for comparison  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I don't know whose rifle that was, but it is one of the best looking rifles I've ever seen!

John

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 1:31am
Print Post  
oughtsix wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 9:17pm:
check out this for comparison  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Oughtsix,
Reference the Remington Creedmoor LR Rifle for Auction, the Auctioneers 'blurb' relating to it is incorrect. I believe the quote made by L.L.Hepburn regarding the Creedmoor Rifle he built with his own hands, referred to his own design i.e. the Hepburn Action which he used a couple of years later, and not to the Remington Rolling Block rifle. A small error perhaps but errors repeated over time have a tendency to become fact unless the error is pointed out. See:- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
Sorry Joe I didn't mean to Hi-jack your thread.
Harry.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2015 at 7:14am by »  

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #36 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 7:32am
Print Post  
No problem Harry, I saw the auction notice and thought it may have some relevance to the conversation.  I do think  RIA   embellishes  a bit to increase sales.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:03am
Print Post  
the original creedmoor rifles were chambers for the 44/77 dimensions.
they were however loaded with much bigger charges, possibly up to 90 gns, and a heavier bullet than the std load.
the 44/90 supplanted this chambering.
who knows, some of the originals might well have been rechambered.
a most interesting thread on a most interesting subject. than you.
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #38 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I think the team picture you reference is enlarged to poster size at the Cody Museum.  That is a wonderful rifle!

Life Member #205

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #39 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Absolutely an amazing roller for sure!

IP Logged

Huvius

Reply #40 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
That IS a beautiful Rolling block for sure!

I certainly cannot comment on its provenance but wonder if anyone researching the famous overseas matches have ever tried to access the records of the ships which carried the contestants and their equipment?
Not sure if rifle descriptions and numbers were ever logged but it seems possible if only for preventing theft on the voyage.

Out of curiosity, does the base of the rear sight fit exactly into the recess for the back position?  My guess is that it will as your staff is very tall.
Many rifles came with different sight sets for differing positions or ranges and some came with one rear sight which was simply moved from one mount to another.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #41 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 11:14am
Print Post  
In the article by General George W. Wingate (Captain of the First International Team) titled, "The Beginning of International Rifle Match Shooting" he mention the excitement of winning of the 1974 match and wrote:
"As each was addressed, he said a few words of thanks.  The most characteristic of these was probably the remark of Hepburn "that what gave, him most pride and satisfaction was to think that he had made with his own hands the rifle which that day had made the highest score ever made in a match."
He then later in the article mentions to the 1875, 1876, 1877 and 1880 matches. So, I can see where one might think it was this match Hepburn was talking about.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #42 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I thought this to be interesting in the different ways you could order a Creedmoor roller at least accordingly to Philip Sharpe's book "The Rifle in America".
In the section parted, "Remington Creedmoor Rifle, 
Introduced 1873 - Discontinued 1890"
"This rifle was brought out in .44-90,.44-100 and .44-105 and used bottleneck cartridges with an originally 2 1/4 inch shell, later increased to 2 7/16 inch.  It was essentially a target rifle and was brought out in several grades.
   The first record of this rifle being actually used in competition was in the Turf, Field, and Farm Match , August 2, 1873.  This model had a 34 inch barrel and weighed 10 pounds.
   Various models of this rifle were constructed known as A, B, C, D, and E.  The A type had a pistol grip stock and was equipped with Vernier peep rear sights and wind-gauge type front.  The B type and a plain stock and flat butt plate together with Vernier rear and wind-gauge front sights.  The C type had a military stock with Vernier peep rear and wind-gauge front sights, and the D type was the same as the A except that it had a rubber butt plate, forearm tip and checked forearm.  In addition the few extra accessories were available in sights including a spirit level and extra peep discs.  The E type was the same as the D except that it had a  specially selected walnut stock, highly polished and extra finished action throughout as well."
The photo of the Roller in this thread, certainly falls in one of these types it seems.

IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #43 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I'm curious about the date of the above reference from so early in 1873, if the author is referreing to the 'classic long range rifle'. 

The Turf, Field and Farm match was fired offhand at 200 yards and the first was won by Bodine with a Remington Sporting Rifle (that's the only description I have found).

The Irish Challenge to American riflemen did not come until later in the year. Contemporary reports refer to no rifles being made in the US that were suitable under the terms of the competition at that time. Remington and Sharps responded and their rifles were famously in the hands fo American riflemen for the match in 1874.

David
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:23pm by ResearchPress »  

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #44 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Further to Old-Win's post with the close up photos of a Remington of Fulton's, here is the full length picture. it was described as ".44-77, 34" full octagon barrel with an excellent bore."

With regards to the rifle that generated all this debate, and the recess in the stock possibly for a heel sight, do we know when heel sights started to be used on these rifles? All the pictures I have been looking at recently show tang mounted sights even when the rifles are being fired from the back position.

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #45 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Is this the rifle pictured on page 173 of the Marcot book? If it's not the same rifle, it's a twin to it.

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #46 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Yes, it is the same rifle. I bought it from the owner listed in the book

... Joe

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I would second the earlier recommendation to contact Dick Binger.    He has researched Creedmoor and associated matches extensively and is arguably one of the top authorities on things Remington.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #48 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Bringing this old topic back up, mainly because I have some evidence that answers some questions listed above, and some answers to incorrect assumptions or statements made above.

The first Creedmoor match was held in late Nov. 1874, and Remington did not catalogue their Long-Range rifles until 1874. But the challenge by the Irish was made almost a year earlier, and even before the 1874 Match Remington and Sharps began work on producing these rifles. Prototypes of the rifles to be used at the match were made  and sold in 1873, even though they were not a catalog item in 1873.
The Remingtons used in the Creedmoor matches were in the low 3000 serial number range. But there is at least one Creedmoor rifle with a serial number in the low 1500 range! George Armstrong Custer was also given a Creedmoor in this same range. His was #3333, and Fulton's was #3310. 
The .44-77 Remington-Sharps Bottleneck was deemed too weak for 1000 yd. duty. So the 400 gr. bullet was replaced by a 535 gr. paper patched bullet, and the throats were opened up so the 535 gr. bullet was barely seated into the case neck, and 90 grs. of powder was the charge in the case. This was done before the Creedmoor ever saw use in the 1874 match as the guns built as prototypes in 1873 will also accept the 535 gr. bullet barely seated into the case neck.
Almost all the Creedmoor Rolling Blocks were half octagon. But Fulton's was a full octagon, and still fit into the 10 lb. weight limit of the rules. Two others are known of in full octagon, and not sure of others?
There are at least three in full round, which Joe's is one. I own one of the others, and mine is one made in 1873 with a serial number in the low 1500 range, well below the ones used in the Creedmoor Match.
The heel sights were offered right from the very beginning, before the Creedmoor match took place in Nov. 1874. The way the sights were attached changed numerous times, but some rifles got no heel sight accommodation at all. It depended on the customer's request for one or not. I've seen heel bases simply wood screwed into the stock. Other's done like Joe's where an ebony insert was first inlaid, and then recessed for the base. And some that had a steel insert inlaid into the heel position, and the sight mounted with machine screws exactly like the tangs used.
Wish I knew of any records of serial numbers for the other rifles used in the 1874 match? That's probably the only way we could ever confirm provenance of who owned what.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #49 - Oct 24th, 2021 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
cont.-

LL Hepburn stamped rifles he occasionally either did a quality control check on, or somehow was involved with personally as superintendent at the Remington Factory. He had his own stamp, and numerous rifle barrels have been observed with the same multiple LL HEPBURN stamp on the barrel, under the forearm.
When Remington went bankrupt, and John Marlin hired Hepburn to work at Marlin, he must have taken his stamp with him there also. I've observed numerous different Marlins from the late 1800's to early 1900's with the same multiple LL HEPBURN stamp on their barrels also.

Hope this helps clear some of the questions up.

My much less attractive Remington Creedmoor rifle.

My rifle came stripped of all sights, and the heel base. I happened to have the correct windgauge globe front sight, and an extra base for the heel, but not the tang sight. I contacted Tony Maddox at The Original Sight co. and he built a beautiful copy of the correct tang sight for my rifle.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2021 at 11:17pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint