Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Could this be Col Bodine's 1875 Creedmoor Rifle ? (Read 31675 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Could this be Col Bodine's 1875 Creedmoor Rifle ?
Reply #30 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
The .44-77 is I believe 2.25" long, but the .44-90 is 2.63" long. It may well be that the extra length is simply neck length, and the rest the dimensions match.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Oct 31st, 2015 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Joe,
Try contacting David Minshall in the U.K.  He goes by DBM on this website or through the Shiloh website.  He also has info at the Research Press.  Bob
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2015 at 11:05am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #32 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Both the body and the neck are longer on the 44-90 than the 44-77. It could have been re chambered at some point lon ago when it was a working gun and not an artifact.

40 Rod

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #33 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
check out this for comparison  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #34 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I don't know whose rifle that was, but it is one of the best looking rifles I've ever seen!

John

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 1:31am
Print Post  
oughtsix wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 9:17pm:
check out this for comparison  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Oughtsix,
Reference the Remington Creedmoor LR Rifle for Auction, the Auctioneers 'blurb' relating to it is incorrect. I believe the quote made by L.L.Hepburn regarding the Creedmoor Rifle he built with his own hands, referred to his own design i.e. the Hepburn Action which he used a couple of years later, and not to the Remington Rolling Block rifle. A small error perhaps but errors repeated over time have a tendency to become fact unless the error is pointed out. See:- (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
Sorry Joe I didn't mean to Hi-jack your thread.
Harry.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2015 at 7:14am by »  

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #36 - Nov 3rd, 2015 at 7:32am
Print Post  
No problem Harry, I saw the auction notice and thought it may have some relevance to the conversation.  I do think  RIA   embellishes  a bit to increase sales.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

bruce moulds
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:03am
Print Post  
the original creedmoor rifles were chambers for the 44/77 dimensions.
they were however loaded with much bigger charges, possibly up to 90 gns, and a heavier bullet than the std load.
the 44/90 supplanted this chambering.
who knows, some of the originals might well have been rechambered.
a most interesting thread on a most interesting subject. than you.
keep safe,
bruce.

ventum est amicus meus

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #38 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I think the team picture you reference is enlarged to poster size at the Cody Museum.  That is a wonderful rifle!

Life Member #205

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #39 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Absolutely an amazing roller for sure!

IP Logged

Huvius

Reply #40 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
That IS a beautiful Rolling block for sure!

I certainly cannot comment on its provenance but wonder if anyone researching the famous overseas matches have ever tried to access the records of the ships which carried the contestants and their equipment?
Not sure if rifle descriptions and numbers were ever logged but it seems possible if only for preventing theft on the voyage.

Out of curiosity, does the base of the rear sight fit exactly into the recess for the back position?  My guess is that it will as your staff is very tall.
Many rifles came with different sight sets for differing positions or ranges and some came with one rear sight which was simply moved from one mount to another.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #41 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 11:14am
Print Post  
In the article by General George W. Wingate (Captain of the First International Team) titled, "The Beginning of International Rifle Match Shooting" he mention the excitement of winning of the 1974 match and wrote:
"As each was addressed, he said a few words of thanks.  The most characteristic of these was probably the remark of Hepburn "that what gave, him most pride and satisfaction was to think that he had made with his own hands the rifle which that day had made the highest score ever made in a match."
He then later in the article mentions to the 1875, 1876, 1877 and 1880 matches. So, I can see where one might think it was this match Hepburn was talking about.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #42 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I thought this to be interesting in the different ways you could order a Creedmoor roller at least accordingly to Philip Sharpe's book "The Rifle in America".
In the section parted, "Remington Creedmoor Rifle, 
Introduced 1873 - Discontinued 1890"
"This rifle was brought out in .44-90,.44-100 and .44-105 and used bottleneck cartridges with an originally 2 1/4 inch shell, later increased to 2 7/16 inch.  It was essentially a target rifle and was brought out in several grades.
   The first record of this rifle being actually used in competition was in the Turf, Field, and Farm Match , August 2, 1873.  This model had a 34 inch barrel and weighed 10 pounds.
   Various models of this rifle were constructed known as A, B, C, D, and E.  The A type had a pistol grip stock and was equipped with Vernier peep rear sights and wind-gauge type front.  The B type and a plain stock and flat butt plate together with Vernier rear and wind-gauge front sights.  The C type had a military stock with Vernier peep rear and wind-gauge front sights, and the D type was the same as the A except that it had a rubber butt plate, forearm tip and checked forearm.  In addition the few extra accessories were available in sights including a spirit level and extra peep discs.  The E type was the same as the D except that it had a  specially selected walnut stock, highly polished and extra finished action throughout as well."
The photo of the Roller in this thread, certainly falls in one of these types it seems.

IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #43 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I'm curious about the date of the above reference from so early in 1873, if the author is referreing to the 'classic long range rifle'. 

The Turf, Field and Farm match was fired offhand at 200 yards and the first was won by Bodine with a Remington Sporting Rifle (that's the only description I have found).

The Irish Challenge to American riflemen did not come until later in the year. Contemporary reports refer to no rifles being made in the US that were suitable under the terms of the competition at that time. Remington and Sharps responded and their rifles were famously in the hands fo American riflemen for the match in 1874.

David
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:23pm by ResearchPress »  

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

ResearchPress

Reply #44 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Further to Old-Win's post with the close up photos of a Remington of Fulton's, here is the full length picture. it was described as ".44-77, 34" full octagon barrel with an excellent bore."

With regards to the rifle that generated all this debate, and the recess in the stock possibly for a heel sight, do we know when heel sights started to be used on these rifles? All the pictures I have been looking at recently show tang mounted sights even when the rifles are being fired from the back position.

David

David Minshall - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint