Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Man. This offhand stuff is tough! (Read 13848 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Man. This offhand stuff is tough!
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 1:38am
Print Post  
When I was a sailor on liberty on Friday night in Hong Kong, I was a lot steadier than I am now trying to shoot offhand Schuetzen style.  I simply can not rest my elbow on my hip in the often quoted "hip rest position".  Maybe I'm built weird. Can anyone actually do it?

JS

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 4:24am
Print Post  
I have seen guys put their elbow against their torso, not necessarily on their hip.  I have too much meat on my upper body and arms to be able to get my elbow within 4" of my torso.  Oh well, back to the drawing board  Smiley

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Most people can not actually use there hip. Women have a better chance. But it does not matter just needs to be bone against bone ( or padded bone Smiley )

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the advice. It is similar to, but very different from, offhand in cross the course high power. The target is much much smaller. 

I have given up on the palm rest for now. It feels better to me at this point to hold the fore end with my hand, or on finger tips. 

Took the hooked buttplate off and loaded some fixed ammo for use on silhouettes this Sunday. Now I need to figure out my come up for 200 yards, having arrived at a good 100 yard zero.

Wish I had a better arrangement than a velcro'd on leather buttpad, but that's what I have for now.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2015 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Been a while, but as I recall I usually came up about .10-.12" inch for every 100 yards as we moved back shooting long range. After 600 to 1,000 it was a bit more. That should get you in the ball park.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I have two CPA rifles one is Stocked for BPCS flat plate no palm rest other is pure Schuetzen hook plate and palm rest.  In theory I can shoot the Schuetzen better but in pratice my strikes are better with the BPCS gun. I say strikes because we have two club matches a month all offhand on steel swingers hit or miss no scoring rings. 

Problem with the Schuetzen for me is lack of competition so use it infrequently. Even though the rifle has more potential you have to use it to shoot it well. The club match under club rules has a dozen top shooters that can win any day. Competition breeds success.

I get a good elbow on hip bone position with the BPCS. It's possible but must be learned.  About any shooting sport position is well over half the job.  And getting the right set up can be done in front of a mirror at home.

Russian Book has good illustrations of top Olympic shooters in sport rifle,with elbows on hips. Go to a 10 m air gun match with good college shooters the same hip rest no palm rest.

Boats

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #21 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Offhand Shooting by Harry Pope;

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #22 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:37pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #23 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:38pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Read Gary Anderson's Book from the 1980.  It is very similar to Pope's remarks.  Anderson is a former US Army Olympic shooter from the 1960s.
Dr. Walter Hudson's books are similar.  
Basics are basics. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
There is no way I can shoot a schuetzen match with my skill set. I shot silhouette yesterday (Sunday) to 200 yards, and couldn't hit a single ram, and it is many times larger than that little bullseye on the 25 ring target.

It is sobering to think what good shots you fellas are. I'm not giving up, but I am going to have to practice a good bit for a long while I think. I reckon if I can get 100% on 200 yard rams, I will consider then changing over to a more strict discipline to practice and get ready for schuetzen. 

And it isn't an equipment issue I don't think. It is a skills issue. Right now I am sort of rocked back on my heels, and realizing that the molehill I saw on the horizon is really a mountain.

Regards,
Stubb

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Follow through is as important as any of the other factors.  Without it, the aim is spoiled before the bullet leaves the barrel.

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Alright. I've been thinking this through a little bit. 

I've read and re-read the Pope article posted on page 2. No issues there, the technique is laid out perfectly. Thanks for posting that, though other contributors also sent me the article via PM. Thanks all of you.

I simply have to take the time to arrive at sight settings for each distance. I had only a 100 yard zero, and did ok on the pigs at that distance. I was taking a WAG at the other distances. Though truthfully at the 150 turkeys and 200 rams, it wouldn't have mattered what the sight settings were, the sights were weaving all over the place - that's a skills issue.

Then I need to do a little load development. I was shooting 14.0 grains of IMR 4227, which is a small volume charge of fine granule powder. The ammo was fixed ammo, where the bullet was a snug fit in the tapered part of the throat. The chickens were "downhill" from the firing position, and while I performed well at that distance, I am concerned that the powder migrated to the bullet base on a couple of the shots. Perhaps some 4759 or similar powder will mitigate that issue. One competitor uses trail boss in his 38-55 for the chickens, as it nearly fills the case in his 38-55. I doubt that sub MOA accuracy will matter at first, as my issue is a skills issue, but I reckon in the course of arriving at zeroes for the different distances, I will also put that time to good use arriving at a perhaps more suitable load.

Then practice initially with a scope. My reasoning for the scope is that every twitch and wobble is magnified. If I am successful in shooting well with the scope, and developing a position which mitigates the twitches and wobbles, that foundational work should transfer over to the iron sights.

I reckon what, 6 months, perhaps a year, before finding what works well offhand with a scope, and perhaps refining it to a consistent position? Perhaps then I will have average skills.

Thanks fellas for your generosity in advice and information. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2015 at 8:10am by »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
There is a difference in point of impact according to how the powder sits in your case. I have seen it with two shooters our club, Father and Son using the same rifle one mounting high and screwing down like High Power shooters do other picking the gun up level off the bench and firing. POI at 200 is perhaps 4-6 inches different.

No good way around it and the old High Power raise to the sky and screw down is not allowed many ranges=muzzle over the berm. Plus it's unnecessary. Pick the gun up and fire same way every time POI will stay consistent.

Changing powders won't make a lot of difference and the old advice on Wad's  in 32/40 & 38/55 is not good. Causes more trouble than it's worth.

Good zeros are very important here is a photo of our Club Ram target. It's a 3/8 size IMSA hung at 75 yards, Visual is the same as Lever rimfire and pistol caliber Silhouette 1/2 size at 100 or Lever Rifle Silhouette full size ram at 200. However the photo is for tecnique not the match distance.

Note how the "pattern" is centered up one not centered the other. Pattern is the result of offhand shooting a full match number of shots not a single shot bench rest point of impact. Also note I threw out the "flyers" for sight calcualtion No sense adjusting for mistakes.

Set base sight's on paper. Take the targets home and box in your "normal" group with a framing square. Connect the corners and your true POI is shown.  Two targets posted, lot of MOA difference on the rifles sight. 

Our club match that target with my 39A would have been a 36, in contention for match win- those edge shots if the group had not been centered up number of extra misses which would surely have put the score way down the list.

Boats
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2015 at 11:31am by boats »  

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 1:34am
Print Post  
As a competitive pistol shooter I was coached by an Olympic pistol shooter to make sure my bladder was empty just before going to the line. I don't know if that helped or not but I never pissed in my boots.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint