Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Man. This offhand stuff is tough! (Read 13835 times)
stubbicatt
Ex Member

Man. This offhand stuff is tough!
Sep 23rd, 2015 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
My hat's off to you guys. I think I finally got the rifle and palm rest and all that sorted, and I got the windage adjusted properly, and elevation pretty darned close, shooting from a bench rest. Even from a bench at 100 yards I'm still getting 3 shot 1 ½ inch groups, which isn't bad I don't suppose, but it could always be better. That and I need to be able to shoot at 200 yards.

I still have to get some practice targets from ASSRA.

Now all I really lack is technique! I'm as wobbly as a sailor on liberty on a Friday night in Hong Kong! 

I never was a great offhand shot, but this is going to take a whole lot of practice. Any tips or pointers you wish to share will be welcome.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Man. This offhand stuff is tough!
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Stubbicatt you should be getting closer to 1/2 to 3/4 inch 5 shot groups off the bench preferably in the 1/2 to 5/8 range. Your noted 11/2 3 shot groups will easily double at 200 yds. and more than likely they will be larger. Before you can call your shots Offhand you first have to be able to call them off the bench and to be able to do that your rifle has to be shooting extremely well. The above group sizes apply to breach seating and smokless and if that is what your are doing I would spend my time at the bench until your rifle and groups become second nature. If you are breach seating and using smokless send me a PM and I can help you out on the proper approach to your load development.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Captain Bob

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Harry Pope knew something about off hand rifle shooting.
Here is what he had to say about that.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2015 at 5:21pm by Captain Bob »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 14 KB | 106 Downloads )

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I might add are you using Irons at a 100yds. or a scope of which I assumed you were using?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Using iron sights exclusively. I'll send you a pm in a bit J. Louis.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
In few words Harry Popes advice is the best out there. Modern book that's very good is David Tubbs get his first one not the 2nd. It's not real expensive in paperback.

Tubb is the best of the current offhand shooters and explains very well..

Boats

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Experience, Experience, Experience, Quantity, Over and Over.
Other than a few who are just plain naturals you have to just plain do it. And you cannot quit and come back without going through the same process again. You will only have the Benefit of knowing the Loads for your particular Rifle. Still need to establish your Technique again. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Regards, FITZ. Embarrassed Tongue Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Haven't shot competitively in many years. But one bit of advice from a very good shooter helped me immensely when I was starting out. He told me to get comfortable and hold my rifle in the position I felt most comfortable. Then raise the rifle up to target height, and see if I was on the target. If not on the target, lower the gun and reposition myself, then raise it again. Do this until I raised the gun and saw the target in my sights.
Doing your setup this way will ensure you're not contorting yourself left/right to get on target, and it helped me a lot as a beginner. I even went so far as to bring chalk to the range and mark around my shoes once I got in position; so I could step back into my marks if I took a break. Eventually it became easy to approach the line and get into proper position with practice.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks fellas. Practice, practice.

I like your approach Marlinguy. I hope to embody it in my attempts to construct a position.

Rafter3C: How would Marlinguy's advice differ in firing fixed ammo as opposed to breach seated ammunition? Other than the necessary loading steps, it seems generally directed to establishing a position, which *to me* would be equally applicable to fixed or breach seated ammo.  Undecided

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Being in condition to lift that rifle many times without any fatigue is probably the #1 factor.  Without that, nothing else really matters much.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
You will shoot higher offhand scores with fixed ammo, as long as your gun groups within 1 1/2 MOA.  Extra effort required to get it under 1 MOA Breech seating is going to detract from your offhand focus. Fatigue is a significant factor in a long string and the less you have to manipulate better your score is going to be. Thinking about proper breech seated loads is going to detract from your execute the shot focus.

Offhand is all about position and ability to execute the shot.  Rifle, as long as it's up to the job, has little to do with it.

"Up to the job" is a big one though, poor set up is not going to do well with the best shooter, however if it's shooting like it should the score is the shooters not the guns.

Good example is Jim Luke and his buddy Chuck Bender two of the best offhand Schuetzen shooters. They are both shooting NRA Lever Silhouette now and winning top matches with Lever action Marlin 30/30's that have had very few changes from factory original.

Either could probably show up any ASSRA or ISSA match and win the offhand with the Marlin 30/30's 

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
The advice I gave was not meant as what one would do each time you fire. It was merely how to get yourself squared to the target, and not put your body in a twist, or uncomfortable position. I agree that regardless of whether you shoot fixed ammo, breechseated bullets, or muzzleloaded bullets, dropping down into the target always worked better for me.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2015 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Rafter its a very good target but shot top left in the 20 ring made your score not extra half Moa on the other 9 with a complicated loading routine. 

Reading the condition and being ready to shoot when it's right is a good half the job, why spend time fooling with measures primers seaters and all the gear needed to breech seat when you can load fixed ammo that shoots nearly as close.

In the concentration shooting sports like Trap shooting were perfect performance is required 100 shots top shooters don't allow any distractions at all. Entire focus is on the target nothing else, that's how they go 100 straight. Offhand rifle is exactly the same. Don't think about the gun just the shot.

Harry Pope said its the absence of bad shots that make your offhand score. He's right.

Boats

IP Logged

stubbicatt
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2015 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Holy Moses Rafter. I have a long long way to go to get to that sort of performance. I couldn't shoot that well from a bench. With a scope.

Were you using iron sights Rafter?

IP Logged

Aonghas
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
My hat's off to you guys. I think I finally got the rifle and palm rest and all that sorted, and I got the windage adjusted properly, and elevation pretty darned close, shooting from a bench rest. Even from a bench at 100 yards I'm still getting 3 shot 1 ½ inch groups, which isn't bad I don't suppose, but it could always be better. That and I need to be able to shoot at 200 yards.

I still have to get some practice targets from ASSRA.

Now all I really lack is technique! I'm as wobbly as a sailor on liberty on a Friday night in Hong Kong! 

I never was a great offhand shot, but this is going to take a whole lot of practice. Any tips or pointers you wish to share will be welcome.

Arrange yourself sideways-on.

Rest your elbow in the top of your pelvis and balance the rifle on two or three fingers.

When you are comfortable, exhale, hold your breath and squeeze one off.

Long time since I did it, but I used to knock rabbits over (headshots) at 100 yards, offhand (·22"LR). On the range we used to pick-off spent ·22" cases, offhand, at 25 yards.

The trick is, breathig (or rather, not breathing...)

--
Aonghas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint