Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) win 1885 rework (Read 19052 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: win 1885 rework
Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
The serial on the double set was the number you used? I'm confused, maybe the rifle had been back for the trigger change?
I have some "lettered" rifles, but they have the original tang. ain- Don't misunderstand, I really like the rifle, just mystified about the 1887 single trigger and the current dst would have a different number.

IP Logged

Bonner

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
No, I used the number marked on the top tang of the rifle it was 9175. The letter is showing how the rifle was, FIRST built. in 1887. Then it was rebuilt, to the state it is today. Bonner

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Interesting. Thanks, and good shootin'. It shore is a sweet one.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
The number on the top tang is a work order number, and Winchesters can't be looked up by that number. If looked up by the serial number, then the page will also list the work order number on the top tang. 
If they were given the number on the top tang, the info you got will be in error.
At least the last time I tried to get one looked up by the work order number on the top tang, they told me it wasn't possible to go that route.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #19 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Is it a small shank or large? I know a lot of early guns had ser# on bbl and lower tang only and a rework left them unmarked. Paper work makes them go through as unknown maker. 
Nice find.

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2015 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Bonner wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 5:58pm:
Any help with bullet type? mold, seater ,weight, Loading data would be a great help.

First off, what's the twist?  Determining that will give you an idea what weight bullets you can use.   

And, unless you know who made the barrel (for instance, Douglas), you might want to slug it and figure out what diameter bullets to use.

Come back with that info and you'll get more opinions than you can read through in an evening Smiley

IP Logged

Bonner

Reply #21 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, I had time to take the 1885 apart and here are some photos of the tang's, that shows all the #, top and bottom. I hope you can see the U.S. on the tang.   Bonner

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #22 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Unusual. It appears someone attempted to cross out, or deface the numbers on the side of the tang for some reason? It also looks like they got the first part of the serial number transposed from what I see on the outside of the tang? The bottom reads "91754", but the side reads "1975" and then either a 9 or a 0 at the end?  The 481 is most likely the work order number.
The US on the side makes me wonder if this lower tang began life as a Winder Hi Wall musket, and the tang was bent to become a pistol grip tang, and reworked to DST?
The 3 X's would usually indicate grade of wood, but a Winder wouldn't have extra grade wood, and those don't look quite like my two with extra grade markings. Maybe whoever did the bending, also attempted to mark the wood grade?
Still a wonderful gun, and I wouldn't care what the lower tang indicated, or if it matched the gun or not!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
That tang number on the bottom- where Winchester marked serials- is from the year 1903, according to the list found in Campbell. I don't know if the tang was from a Winder or not, like mentioned above, but from the way the parts rest on the top, and the deep looking bend, it started out as a straight grip tang. Maybe that's the one first found on that action, and would be the number to letter. The rest could be from anything that matches up to make such a nice rifle. We'll probably never know for sure if it has many original pieces or not. Is the barrel a Winchester, or an aftermarket one? Nice rifle, and just trying to help figure it out. 
By the way, look on the top tang for a work number, and hope it matches the 481 on the lower- that'd be a plus for dating if they match.

IP Logged

win 32-40

Reply #24 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Lovely Gun!!
Trailboss is your problem. Popular for very close SASS, but not for the accuracy minded.
I was excited about the development and recoil reduction concept, but unless you are a SASS shooter or like to shoot at fridges in the dump....useless
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2015 at 6:00pm by win 32-40 »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Just one other mention Bonner. You stated earlier that you used #9175 for getting info, but there's a 91754 on the bottom of the lower tang. That's the number you should have used to acquire info on an 1885.

IP Logged

Bonner

Reply #26 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 11:51am
Print Post  
You are right, blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. Well I will send for another letter from Cody , and this time use the right #. Sorry for the incorrect info. Bonner Cry

IP Logged

Bonner

Re: win 1885 rework/new letter from cody museum
Reply #27 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Here is the new information with the right serial#91754 from Cody.  Serial # applied on January 31, 1902. Caliber:40/90 St. Barrel weight: #4. Barrel Length: 30 inches. Trigger: Schuetzen Set. Checkered stock, Pistol grip. Helm butt plate. Dutch cheek piece. Spur lever. Received in warehouse on February 18, 1902. Shipped from warehouse on February 18, 1902, Order number 130751. No other information is available for this serial number.Guys this is all I know about the rifle, Thanks for your interest. Bonner

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2015 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
There ya go now. All straightened out, except for who redid it so nicely. I'll bet the original caliber was a real fun deal with a pronged butt plate. Now, how in the heck is it shooting?

IP Logged

Bonner

Reply #29 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Well for me,  it is shooting good with the hand cast bullets i have. I am keeping it inside of a 100 yd target and working on new loads, so it is going slow, still hot in Ga, more range time in Oct. Bonner

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint