Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard .22 rifle for BPCR silhouette (Read 19708 times)
majorfs45

Ballard .22 rifle for BPCR silhouette
Mar 24th, 2015 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
This rifle was made by Dave Crossno.  Dave does his own case hardening also.  Note the even though the action was made for a straight grip, Dave made the stock with a pistol grip design in it.  Oklahoma walnut, Green Mountain #3 barrel 28", Baldwin sight front & back and scope mounts for a D-Z 8X scope.  It is a shooter!

IP Logged

majorfs45

Re: Ballard .22 rifle for BPCR silhouette
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
other photos

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
two more

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Stunning, thank you for sharing Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
This rifle also has a CC Johnson style trigger adjustment on it too.  Note the screw with in the screw on the edge of the block.  It is a light break and there is no back travel at all with this trigger once it breaks.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
It seems odd with that style lever and a pistol grip stock. To me might seem like a double pistol grip. Maybe if I were to hold it I may get a better idea of the "feel" Don't take this wrong, I'm not saying anything bad, it's great work and knowing Crossno's reputation I'm sure it shoots very well.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2015 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 8:41pm:
It seems odd with that style lever and a pistol grip stock. To me might seem like a double pistol grip. Maybe if I were to hold it I may get a better idea of the "feel" Don't take this wrong, I'm not saying anything bad, it's great work and knowing Crossno's reputation I'm sure it shoots very well.

The pistol grip is more aesthetic on a Ballard with an S type lever, than say a loop levered Ballard. But it makes the gun look much more deluxe with a pistol grip, than it would with a plain straight grip.

Gorgeous wood, and beautiful workmanship by Dave majorfs45! I didn't know Dave did his own casehardening! Do you know if Dave does the stock work himself, or one of his co-workers? What style buttplate is on it?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 10:59am
Print Post  
He certainly can do the wood work, but Dave is spending more of his time in the metal work, bluing and case hardening  and he is mentoring two guys in stock work and in gunsmithing.  I believe on this rifle one of his helpers did it with Dave over seeing the work.  The helper was the one that help me select the wood from Dave's huge wood collection.  Dave probably has more different stock patterns hanging on the wall for single shot rifles, than anyone around the country.  He is a great source if your stock is broken and need a replacement wood.  Or if you have a pattern you wish to duplicate, they can do it there.  This pistol grip design on my rifle was a pattern Dave had gotten off another Ballard back a ways.  The butt plate is a light thin brown color recoil pad.  I didn't want for the recoil of course, but for it to stay up in pocket of my shoulder well.  The metal butt plates look great, but tend to slip up and down on your shoulder more.  That was a personal decision on my part.  Dave will put on what you want or if you have one you want put on.  I had the action, I had the barrel and Dave put it together and he did the rest!  I have to add, the action really locks (pops) into place!  Dave is as good is there is in fitting a Ballard action to the barrel as anyone.  It has to do a lot with the linkage in how well the fit works and he really matches up the right parts to make it work well.  He likes using the two piece extractor as well.  I think you can see that in one of the photo fairly well.  Yes, I am a happy camper!
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 6:09pm by majorfs45 »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
John - beautiful rifle. How long did all that work take, from start to finish?
See you in TX the first weekend in May? Are you headed up to Tappan Hill to shoot as a warm-up the last weekend in April? Picking up my rifle from Dan on the 20th and will shoot Tappan Hill before heading to TX.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:20am
Print Post  
No offense was taken on the talking of the loop lever or S lever with a pistol grip.  And I am wondering which of Crossno's reputations you were referring too, being cantankerous or being a great rifle maker?  Both are true, lol!  Being his friend, I can get away with saying that, lol.  

The S lever was what I had on the action, so that is what we used.  If it had come with the loop lever, we would probably have used that.  Now with that said, I wish you could handle the rifle.  The S lever is perfect to hold with this rifle the way it is shaped.  Most shooters pick it up and put to their shoulder and go, "WOW! that feels great!".  I have put up some good scores with this little beauty!  BTW, I am going to shoot it this Saturday in a .22 BPCR match!
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 6:08pm by majorfs45 »  

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Hi, SS!  I had won the barrel in Raton at the drawing after the bean supper for the .22 re-entry matches in 2008.  Bought the Ballard action at Raton in July of 2009, Dave handed me the completed rifle right before his Tornado Alley Match in OKC in May of 2012.  So just short of a 3 year project. 

No, not going to Tappen Hill, great guys up there though.  It just happens that is the same weekend we hold our monthly .22 BPCR Match in Stillwater.  Dave Clark and I run that match, so we need to be here.  Our .22 match is Saturday, April 25th at 9:30.  You might want to shoot one day .22 with us with that new rifle and then one day of Black powder up there on Sunday. It is about a 3 hour drive north from our range to Tappen Hill.  We usually are finished with our match by 1:30pm, so you could drive there easily before dark.  It is a straight easy drive north on I-35.  Kansas "Tappen Hill" range is only a mile off the highway.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:43am
Print Post  
I've purchased several stocks from Dave, and always been very pleased with what he sent. I've also sent him my own wood and had him cut itt to a pattern for me. I've never found Dave anything  but helpful, and pleasant to deal with. Always generous with his time, if I make sure to call at the end of the day!
I just finished a set of Ballard stocks that Dave sent me last year. He had them set aside for his Ballard, but graciously sold them to me for my project.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:57am
Print Post  
He is very knowledgeable with most Black Powder type of single shot rifles.  There is not much about rollers or Ballards that he hasn't work on or fixed.  But he has worked on about everything.  He is very good to his customers.   I know, I have two of his rifles now.  Just can't figure out what my third is going to be yet, lol!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
majorfs45 wrote on Mar 25th, 2015 at 11:39am:
No, not going to Tappen Hill, great guys up there though.  It just happens that is the same weekend we hold our monthly .22 BPCR Match in Stillwater.  Dave Clark and I run that match, so we need to be here.  Our .22 match is Saturday, April 25th at 9:30.  You might want to shoot one day .22 with us with that new rifle and then one day of Black powder up there on Sunday. It is about a 3 hour drive north from our range to Tappen Hill.  We usually are finished with our match by 1:30pm, so you could drive there easily before dark.  It is a straight easy drive north on I-35.  Kansas "Tappen Hill" range is only a mile off the highway. 

Wish I could. Will be driving up to Tappan Hill from Wichita, so driving to Stillwater (where I lived from birth thru 2nd grade) for a 1-day match and back to Tappan Hill for the next day's match and then down to Mexia, TX for those matches is more then I would want. Believe the Tappan Hill matches are .22BPCR on Sat and BPCR on Sun, so I can rest for a few days with family (if that is rest Wink) in Wichita before heading to TX.

Indeed, Dave Crossno puts together some beautiful rifles. Hepburn, 'roller, Ballard........ the ones I've seen from his shop are all very similar to yours in the quality of the finished product.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2015 at 3:26pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle! The wood is beautiful. Hope you have a good supply of .22 match ammo so you could enjoy it.

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #15 - Mar 25th, 2015 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
You bet I do!  No ammo, no fun.  I have been fortunate to locate the .22 ammo when I needed it.  But I do not wait to the last minute to get it either.  I am good for the next two years on match ammo.

IP Logged

ClaMar

Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
John,

Beautiful rifle!  The wood needs some scratching now to make it really great.

I'm finishing the checkering on a Winchester Winder Low Wall, hoping to have it all come together for the TX match in early May, but certainly for my grandson to use at Raton.

Clarence

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Dave has built about a dozen rifles for me; Hepburns, Rollers. and Ballards. Actually I have a #1 1/2 Roller in his shop now for single set trigger installation (after re-lined it and fit a stunning stock set on it) and a complete #2 Roller build under way. This #2 will be the pride of my collection; a pistol grip actioned Remington Custom Shop rifle built to match one shown in the Marcot book. My personal experience is that every one is rifles shows nothing short of impeccable fit, finish, and function. ALL wood, metal/ metal finishing and mechanical work is done in-house. It's great to know that his work is impeccable, I'm dealing with the person who has done all the work. how many gunsmiths can say that they harvest their own wood from a farm in Oklahoma and cut and fit it to the rifles he builds. additionally, I am 100% confident that if ever I should have a problem he is always there to stand behind his work.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 6:07am
Print Post  
John - did you shoot your Crossno Ballard at yesterday's match? I see the DZ boys are going to tough to beat this year.

GTalk  
IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 2:24am
Print Post  
What is the contact information for Dave?

Thanks

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

sharps74
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Hey John great looking Ballard. 40-82 hepburn would you mind posting some pics of the rifles in your post? I would love to see some more of Dave's craftsmanship. Thanks Gary

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 11:11am
Print Post  
sakoman wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 2:24am:
What is the contact information for Dave?

Thanks

If you call around 4:30-5:00 cst he'll usually answer the phone and talk. During the day he's busy, and you'll have to leave a message so he can call back.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Yes, this Ballard has been my main match .22 rifle for a couple of years. We are getting to know each other quite well now.  I do enjoy shooting it!

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Gorgeous rifle major, superb wood.

I have a 22lr ballard too that I just had re barreled and re worked, not as pretty as yours but there's just something about a ballard, I love it!

John

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #24 - Apr 6th, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I have to agree with you there.   There is something especially in holding them off-hand that I like.  Though I shoot my CPA well off had too.  There are a lot of great rifles out there.  Wish I had time to try them all!
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2015 at 6:04pm by majorfs45 »  

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 10:05am
Print Post  
majorfs45 wrote on Mar 24th, 2015 at 2:07pm:
This rifle was made by Dave Crossno.  Dave does his own case hardening also.  Note the even though the action was made for a straight grip, Dave made the stock with a pistol grip design in it.  Oklahoma walnut, Green Mountain #3 barrel 28", Baldwin sight front & back and scope mounts for a D-Z 8X scope.  It is a shooter!

Just gorgeous Major!   The second picture you post really captures how rich that grain looks.  Case coloring is very nice too!    

Mr Crossno is from Arcadia, right?   Good to know another Ballard lovin Okie, and if I'm right about Arcadia, to see the work of another local craftsman.  You brush shoulders with the most interesting people through this interest.   

I like your stock - everything about it!    My grandparents were sharecroppers just north of the OK/Kansas line near Atlanta.  They had some nice Walnut down along the creeks.  Wish I had taken advantage of some of them for furniture of all sorts.    Old famer friend down the road used to turn out some pretting interesting pieces back in the 40s.      

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #26 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Yes, Sir!  You have the right guy in mind.  Dave Crossno's shop is actual just across the road from the OKC Gun Club.  And yes, when he is done with a rifle he builds, the work is always excellent.  His case hardening process he has developed over many years.  Of course the type of metal of the action or parts has a lot to do with how they might look afterwards, but I have not seen a bad one yet.  The two rifles that he has done for me, the wood to metal fit is excellent.  The wood finish is always so well done.  And probably more important to me, they shoot well!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Oh wow! That Rolling Block is stunning too! Can we see more of it? What caliber?

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #28 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Sure, let me start a different trend for the roller.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint