Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maynard Carbine ( Eleven Photos ) (Read 3705 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Maynard Carbine ( Eleven Photos )
Mar 5th, 2015 at 8:55am
Print Post  

F.Y.I. -- I bring to your attention a very nice Maynard Carbine is Second Model configuration with the low serial number 10983.  The inspection / acceptance marks should be noted for future reference.

There are eleven photos located at;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

My opinion is that unaltered C.W. era Maynard/s with original, but aged finishes,
continue to increase in value for the collector as is indicated by the asking price of Maynard carbine S/N 10983.

Dr.Maynard

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Carbine ( Eleven Photos )
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2021 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Horse Soldier is a well respected shop. Description likely accurate.

Boats

IP Logged

Just Jim

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I'm amazed at how many unaltered CW contract carbines seem to be out there. Most show pitting and significant finish loss, and I don't see evindence that these are selling well. 

Those with higher levels of original finish do seem to be moving, and are escalating in price, although my personal opinion is that the carbine linked to above is not a particularly fine specimen. 

I've been smitten with the queer little Maynard rifle for years, but only recently acquired a Second Model. I picked it up only because the condition was better than any I had seen in a long time (despite the drying crack in the stock). 

It's fun to shoot, but I confess it holds far less interest for me than the 1873 and 1882 models. Having said that, now I feel the urge to go shoot that little rascal again!  Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) by (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), on Flickr

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) by (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), on Flickr

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 9:42am
Print Post  
I think the price on that one ($3000+) is mighty optimistic.   My first maynard carbine was given to me by a friend of my grandfather's.   It was in excellent condition.   Brass was unavaliable for it but I made up a few cases from 8mm Lebell, mostly because I had some and they were about right.   Had to file the rims a lot thinner though and a rod was needed to get them out.   That one got away from me when i was in collage, but I got another one about 10-12 years back.   Most of the ones I've seen have a decent bore.  Here's what mine did at about 85 yards from the sitting position.  The two holes with an "X" by them were from the first group which was a bit higher.

George

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I find their description a bit exaggerated personally. I don't see "excellent" in the stock. It's more like "very good" as there are well pictured marks, on both sides, especially the left wrist.
Not much finish on the metal either. There are certainly much worse condition Maynard rifles out there, but I've seen much nicer also at this price.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint