Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another interesting stock/action interface Ballard (Read 14280 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Another interesting stock/action interface Ballard
Reply #15 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure the sight was modified, but the frame looks shortened on both ends. It's possible the sight was altered, or just hangs over the shortened frame a bit. 
The engraving does look to be lesser quality than the stocks, but I can't tell if it's done with a pointed punch, or not. Most of the Marlin Ballards and Marlin lever action rifles had some punched or stamped engraving on the borders, but not this style. In general, the borders were stamped by apprentices at sometime before or after the master did the main panels. Border work being punched was repetitive, and above most masters. 
I was talking with a close friend Sunday who is the secretary for the Engravers Guild, and he told me on occasion an advanced apprentice did the entire gun, and the mater took credit for the work when it was sent to the factory or customer. I was having him examine my engraved Ballard, to determine if it was Nimschke, an apprentice, or one of the other engravers Marlin used. 
If you look at this action, you can see the stamped borders on repetitive designs. The rest is Nimschke engraving.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I think I know why the set trigger is bent like that. I put this rifle pic, next to Marlinguys picture and it looks like when they bent the loop up to the straight frame conture, it closes up on the rear trigger.

What do you think?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 11:23am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Dec 23rd, 2014 at 8:01pm:
I think I know why the set trigger is bent like that. I put this rifle pic, next to Marlinguys picture and it looks like when they bent the loop up to the straight frame conture, it closes up on the rear trigger.

What do you think?

Frank

I think the loop lever has definitely been reworked, since the action is a 3 line address, the odds are it was most likely a straight grip action. I'd guess well over 90% of the cast actions were straight grip, with only a handful of #3 PG actions. 
If you looks closely, you can see the lever has even been relieved behind the rear trigger to allow travel. It shows pretty well in the last picture of the receiver.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2015 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
There are 2 distinct loop levers for pistol grip actions. So called a 3 finger and a 4 finger. The 3 finger is for double set Triggers. the 4 for a single trigger. Of note is the higher grade rifles using a single trigger had the correct 4 finger loop lever. All others had the 3 finger loop lever (almost). Earlier rifles had the correct matching loop lever ( 4 finger)and later rifles had the lever for double set triggers. Still the high quality had the 3 or 4 finger loop lever depending on which model it was. All #7's, all 4 1/2's had 4 finger loop levers. 6 1/2's and 9's had either. Of course the #8 and #10 had the 3 finger loop lever for the double set triggers.
I'm thinking Marlin just put the 3 finger loop on and inventoried them just because it was economically reasonable.....
  Don

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
LRF, I have seen several Arthur Hubalek straight grip actions that have a steel spacer added to the back of the receiver. The spacer is approx 1/4 - 3/8" thick and flared to mate to a pistol grip stock. I have a very nice old stock set for a pistol grip action that I'd like to have fitted to one of my straight grip actions. I was thinking about a wood spacer, or possibly one like on these Hubaleks.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2015 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Sounds interesting, do you have any pictures of the Hubalek?

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 9:01am
Print Post  
LRF,
The Hubaleks belong to Gary Quinlan. The next time I get over to his place I'll take some pics and post.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint