Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Spencer Carbine (Read 7206 times)
Redwing
Oldtimer

Spencer Carbine
Dec 3rd, 2014 at 10:59pm
Print Post  

Hi Everybody !!!

Looking to get a Spencer Carbine !!!   Anybody know's anything about them, I would love to hear it...  No picture's yet...

Ed....

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Spencer Carbine
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 6:49am
Print Post  
They generally make a poor Schuetzen rifle in the original 56cal rimfire cartridges and are difficult to reload. Wink

Great as a 'fun' rifle.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Hi Ed,

I have a Spencer 56-50 carbine.  They are fun to shoot.   The centerfire conversion kit is about $200 (BACO or S&S Firearms) and is a very simple "drop in."   Brass and dies are available from BACO, probably others.  The original chambers are slightly different from the Itallian imports and costs a little more.    Just look for a 56-50 (Model 1865)as all the loading stuff is more available than for the 56-56, although that can be found as well.   

If you are used to shooting a Winchester Model 1892 like I am, the Spencer takes some getting used to.  You have to work the lever with a lot of snap at the bottom or they don't feed.  Check out the N-SSA site as there is a good bit of information there as well.

I'm just getting started with the one I have so still at the bottom of a steep learning curve.  I'd be glad to share what little I know.

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Everything you ever wanted to know and more:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I've got a reproduction in 44-40 and love it. Wityh a Blakelee Box it is more fun than Twins!

Makes you want to watch "Unforgiven" all over again!

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I was tempted to get one of the replicas, but decided an original would be a lot more fun, and not all that more expensive either.  I was fortunate enough to find one with a really good bore as well.  The center fire conversion was a drop in.  I'm still working out the bugs.  The trigger pull is horrendous, and the sights are tough for my eyes, but it does shoot.  The Spencers are not known for their accuracy, just their firepower in an era when they were usuallp pitted against the 58 caliber muskets.  I'll be happy with a 4" group at 50 yards - - offhand of course.  It is no bench rest rifle!!

George

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Historical note:  The M-1865 was the primary cav carbine after the war for several years.  Some units of the 9th Cav (Buffalo Soldiers) got some 50-70 Sharps conversions by Sept. 1871 and other units got a few 1868 50-70 trapdoors to evaluate but Spencers remained primary for quite a while.  The Nolan (Lost Nxxxxx) Expedition disaster of 1876 was with a black patrol from Fort Concho armed with '65 models.  About 25 years ago, a fellow found two relic Spencers stuffed under a rock ledge near Tahoka Texas apparently abandoned by some of these soldiers who were dieing of thirst.   
I recently bought a CF breech block and that "justified" getting a Spencer to fit it.  Haven't tried it out yet.
James

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
My great grandfather came to America from Yorkshire in 1880.  He was a butcher or meat cutter. Upon arrival in Cincinnati, he purchased a Spencer and 3 bushel baskets filled with loose cartridges for $5.  The Spencer was used in the family custom slaughtering & meat cutting business from 1880 until about 1954. It was given enough attention to keep it working, but that was all.  In 1954, there was still one bushel of cartridges.  My grandfather sold both the Spencer and the cartridges to my high school English teacher for $100.  The value was in the cartridges, which were apparently collectible. I think the English teacher sold them individually for some $2 each.

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Hi All !!!   

First, I would like to thank everybody for their reply to my post !!!

I spoke with the seller last night and decided not to buy his Rifle !!!  It seem's that it would require too much work to return it to an acceptable condition...

I don't know why I even considered another purchase when I look at my gun cabinet with all those I don't/can't shoot anymore !!!

Thank's Again !!!

Ed.....

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2014 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
James,

My understanding is that the Spencer was a "stopgap" measure to improve the cavalry armerment while they were waiting for the Sharps conversions, and/or the Springfield carbines, which were "generally" a whole lot more accurate.  My Spencer carbine is an 1865 model, but the barrel is not marked 1865 like most of them were.  It does have the Stabler cutoff and is a 56-50.   Not sure what the history is.  The SN on the barrel is much earlier than that on the receiver.  I'm thinking it was sleeved by Springfield  but I'm no expert.  My wife gave me a copy of Marcot's Spencer book for my birthday and I'm slowly working my way through it.

Interestingly, my  50-70 Sharps conversion shows up in a couple of places in the records.  As a precussion with the First Maryland, and as a 50-70 with the First California (Modoc War).  My precussion Sharps shows up with the First Michigan.  Wish I could get that kind of information on my Maynard and Spencet.

George

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
George,
Good to hear from you.  I have been shooting my '63 Sharps conversion off and on for several years.  From reading Arming and Equipping the U. S. Cavalry by Farrington, an excellent reference book, I have found that a big push to arm the cavalry regiments with the Sharps conversions with 8 cav regiments heavily supplied with Sharps 50-70's but not the 4th and 9th who labored on with the older Spencers in early 1871.  The latter two regiments not reported with Sharps in early 1872 but all ten regiments had them in early 1873.  By fall 1871 Springfield M1870's and Remington M1870's as well as the M1870 Sharps appeared with select troops and later the Ward-Burton all on a trial basis.  Throughout this evaluation phase the Spencer was not mentioned, perhaps because the decision had already been made to phase them out but the numbers of the newer weapons issued would not have fully supplied the units.  Why Nolan was armed with Spencers in 1877, I do not know as the Federals had shown no prejudice against the colored 9th cav in arms. 
By 1874 when the hated carpetbagger rule had ended in Texas, the states had Sharps conversions sold to them as surplus and the newly reorganized Texas Rangers were issued 50-70 Sharps conversions which they were required to buy with their first paychecks which at the time were almost worthless Texas paper promissory notes.  Unfortunately, serial numbers are not in the Archives.
James

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
For anyone who might be interested in a Spencer, Bob's Sport Shop in Glassboro, NJ has one that has been converted to 20ga (guess it is a single-shot for that), but must have been converted to CF as well. Too bad, as the wood is decent with no major issues and the metal is quite nice for something that old. $1000 on the hang-tag, but it is the negotiating season.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint