Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) P O Ackley Photo (Read 26134 times)
Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

P O Ackley Photo
Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:38am
Print Post  
A while back I posted an old photo and it seemed like many enjoyed it, and were helpful with making an ID on who was in the photo, so I'm posting another one in hope that the ID of two in the photo can be made. I hope that I'm not posting it in the wrong place, and if I am please tell me where it would be better.

It appears to have been taken in the late 1940s or the early 1950s in front of P O Ackley's shop. The man on the far left is William Crowther, and the one on the far right is Lucian Cary. The man who is second from the left maybe Ackley, but I don know. Also have no idea who the man 3rd from the left is. Hope that someone may have some information.

Sendaro

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: P O Ackley Photo
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Might be Ackley, but I've never seen a picture of Ackley without his glasses on, or a picture when he was a younger man. Makes sense that Ackley might pose with the group, but I'm just not sure it's him or not.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:46am
Print Post  
  Sendaro---
                 I'm not able to help you with the identification of either of the two individuals in your photograph that you have inquired about.  However, I am able to identify the automobile which these folks are standing next to as being a Packard, circa 1949, four door sedan, black lacquer body finish and wide white side wall tires.

C.M.M.

P.S. The 3rd man in from our left would not be Mr. Ackley in my opinion.  Ackley would most likely not be attired in a double breasted suit and tie and have a Homburg hat in his hand and wing tip dress shoes, on any day of the week, except maybe on a Sunday, but even then, not likely.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2014 at 10:32am by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 7:05am
Print Post  
CMM, 

Thanks for the information. Dating that car does help me with the investigation that I have taken on with a batch of old photos from William Crowther's album.

thank you, Sendaro

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 8:59am
Print Post  
I always thought Lucian Cary was a made up name??!
Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Shovel80, 

No he was for real! Check out the J M Pyne stories that he wrote. You are going to find them very interesting.

Sendaro

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 9:14am
Print Post  
  Hi Sendaro -- I have to concur with you that Mr. Lucian Cary is in your photos as the fourth man on our right.

As you know, Cary was a writer predominantly in gun lore but he also was an editor at one point.

My theory regarding your photo is that these four gentlemen have just concluded a meeting inside Ackley's business establishment and they have reached a consensus of some sort and have decided to memorialize the occasion by walking outside for a photo op.

Please note that Cary has, in his left hand coat pocket, a rolled up draft copy of whatever it was that they needed to meet on, review, and agree upon.  He also has a rolled up set of papers in his coat breast pocket.  Perhaps a proposed magazine article which either discusses Ackley's life or his business or his wildcatting ammo, who's to say at this point.  One thing for sure, they (the four of them) were talking gun lore of some description.

The as yet unknown gentleman who is standing third from our left may by a financial backer of their deal, or simply a magazine owner/publisher who is there to bless their agreement/s.

To confirm my supposition that Lucian Cary is standing on the far right, compare his image, particularly his chin, with the know photo of Cary found in the following link.
see:

Comments?

C.M.M.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
It seems there are few pictures of Parker O. Ackley around some may be seen here :-

Unfortunately there are some of Fred Huntingdon and Harry Pope and possibly others mixed in with them. 
Harry
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2014 at 1:22pm by »  

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
C.M.M.

The link you posted was  VERY GOOD READ.

ron

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
AMEN,  good enough I posted it on the FB page for my (mostly) non-shooting friends to see.   

the little gallery of associated photos was interesting.    Many were probably NMLRA shots but the last one looks like Pope and someone else to me, and I'd like to know who guy is in the first one is.  Looks like he is shooting indoors (or posing) with a ballard, but the trigger guard looks different to me.  It almost looks to me like has has 2 fingers in the front loop

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
  I believe that the shooter in photo #3 and #5 are the same person wearing the pit helmet.  If I were to guess, I might say that he is shooting the Alvin York match, or perhaps sighting in for it.

The last photo (#9) does remind me of Harry P.

I hope we can eventually I.D. the gentleman in Sendaro's photo, third from our left.

I was also thinking that the photographer that day may have been part of the entourage that traveled to Ackley's shop for business, particularly so if the get together was all about a magazine article pertaining to one of Mr. Ackley's projects and they wanted a picture or two of him to be published along with the magazine article.  

C.M.M.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
just WAGging;  but #4 looks like an established someone with a VERY large collection of Ky/Penn rifles and a younger--perhaps a craftsman---with enough status to be handling one of them.  Somebody like G. Shumway and a Wallace Gussler type.  their clothing looks to be of the right era for that.
The guys over on the American Long rifle site could ID them at the drop of a hat I'll bet as might some of the older NMLRA guys

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
The unfounded speculation has been interesting and the scenarios are endless.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
PO wasn't noted for anything single shot, muzzle loader or jacketed benchrest that I have come accross over the years. It was his high intensity cartridge designs that held him in high regard with the Hunting crowd and his years of teaching Gunsmithing at Trinidad by his students.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
In the posted photo, Ackley is second from the left. I have seen many pictures of him in the last fifty plus years.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Quote:

To confirm my supposition that Lucian Cary is standing on the far right, compare .. . .  .   .    .     .
C.M.M.

A " supposition " is  a hypothesis of logic which is based on a set of certain facts which are established and are known.  The photograph in question, and presented here, is a reliable document evidencing a factual portrayal of what, where and how took place at that given moment in time and space.  The document (photo) speaks for itself and the facts are there for everyone to see.

This is not a truck stop on Route 66 with a bunch of truck drivers stopped for coffee shooting the breeze !  If someone wants to view this particular image and believe it to be a truck stop on Rout 66 with a bunch of truck drivers standing outside, that is the viewer's privilege to do so, but he or she would be wrong in that instance.   

It is human nature to deny what you don't understand, but it is human ignorance to say that the cat is white, when in fact, the cat is actually black.

Lack of knowledge, which is the definition of ignorance, leads to endlessness, whereas, in the current examination of the presented photograph there exists more than an adequate amount of knowledge to foreclose what one has thought to be an endless and open ended explanation for that day's events.

I suppose if one were to totally ignore entirely what has already been said, one could arbitrarily conclude that the tall individual is a represented of the British Sweepstakes who has traveled to Mr. Ackley's business address in order to deliver to Ackley a government cheque drawn on the national treasury in the sum of two million pounds sterling for the winning ticket in the British National lottery.  Now that is endless,.  .  .  ., but does anyone really want to go there?   

I should think not, we're all adults, I suppose.   Wink

C.M.M.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014 at 9:55am by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

IT!

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Long Range, I thought that was him, but wasn't sure. Most of the other photos of him that I've seen are when he was much older.

thanks, Sendaro

IP Logged

dibbler
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 7:41pm:
PO wasn't noted for anything single shot, muzzle loader or jacketed benchrest that I have come accross over the years. It was his high intensity cartridge designs that held him in high regard with the Hunting crowd and his years of teaching Gunsmithing at Trinidad by his students.

Ackley worked with the Sharps Arms Company of Salt Lake City, Utah in the late 1960's when the company was trying to produce a modern version of the Sharps Borchardt single shot. They produced 12 prototypes and then sold out to Colt.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
He sure did and they were developing an action for high intensity rimless cartridges that differed slighlty from the original sharps design. There is one currently for sale on Guns International in 30-06.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
In the back of my mind I think I remember reading that Lucian Cary died a Pauper.
Just had a quick look for one of his thin paper back books he wrote on the old gun slingers of the West but can't find it.
Very interesting reading if what he wrote was true.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014 at 7:27pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

jonskorepa
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 12th, 2015 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I have a stevens 44 22lrf with a p o ackley barrel which is not removable prone rim fire set up stocks and a strange pistol grip modification added to the block lever. Shoots good just strange looking.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have a stevens 44 22lrf with a p o ackley barrel which is not removable prone rim fire set up stocks and a strange pistol grip modification added to the block lever. Shoots good just strange looking.   

You say that your rifle is quote: "strange looking".   I have to wonder just how strange looking it might be?  Is it really strange or just slightly on the odd side ?  If you would accommodate this question by posting a photo, or perhaps two, of the rifle that would most helpful.  Strangeness is not always a defect, just different.  Will you do it?
Dr.Maynard

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2015 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Strange adaptations on levers are plentiful, and often quite interesting! Seems that modifying the lever on an old single shot rifle was extremely popular, and owners had quite an imagination in some cases! 
I also would enjoy seeing another adaptation on a lever!

IP Logged

6mmintl
Participating Member

Reply #23 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I think if you look at this post you will see one of the other gentlemen in the photo

Who's holding the Maynard?

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #24 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
  I don't see any Maynards, but, the third guy from the left looks like Harvey Donaldson to me.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - May 13th, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  
6mmintl wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:09pm:
I think if you look at this post you will see one of the other gentlemen in the photo

Who's holding the Maynard?

I don't even see any gun?

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 14th, 2015 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
There is a photograph of P.O Ackley on page 55 of my copy of Roy F. Dunlap's book on Gunsmithing. Second edition dated 1963. I'd post a copy of the page but my Scanner doesn't want to work. Cry  If someone else has a copy of this book would they kindly oblige please.
Harry

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #27 - May 14th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
This is a photo of P.O. Ackley of Trinidad, Colorado;

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #28 - May 14th, 2015 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
This is a photo of Lucian "True" Cary with his favorite gunsmith. Lucian Cary was the author of "True Magazine" and penned the J. M. Pyne stories that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2015 at 4:51pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #29 - May 14th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
This is another of Lucian Cary;

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #30 - May 14th, 2015 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Schutzenbob wrote on May 14th, 2015 at 4:44pm:
This is another of Lucian Cary;

Thanks for the pictures Bob! I think Cary was most likely Pope's biggest fan, and possibly Cary was one of the few people Pope got on well with!

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #31 - May 14th, 2015 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Yet another picture of Lucian Cary and friends, this one is from the ASSRA archive;

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 15th, 2015 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
This is a photo of Lucian "True" Cary with his favorite gunsmith. Lucian Cary was the author of "True Magazine" and penned the J. M. Pyne stories that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post. 

Lucian Cary was actually the "gun editor" (the publisher's phraseology) for True magazine.  In addition to the wonderful and worshipful Pyne stories, he also compiled/edited/helped edit a variety of antique and contemporary gun magazines for Fawcett Publications.  Not surprisingly, Fawcett was the publisher of True, as well as a seemingly infinite variety of other books, magazines, and even comics.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint