Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) P O Ackley Photo (Read 26136 times)
Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: P O Ackley Photo
Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Quote:

To confirm my supposition that Lucian Cary is standing on the far right, compare .. . .  .   .    .     .
C.M.M.

A " supposition " is  a hypothesis of logic which is based on a set of certain facts which are established and are known.  The photograph in question, and presented here, is a reliable document evidencing a factual portrayal of what, where and how took place at that given moment in time and space.  The document (photo) speaks for itself and the facts are there for everyone to see.

This is not a truck stop on Route 66 with a bunch of truck drivers stopped for coffee shooting the breeze !  If someone wants to view this particular image and believe it to be a truck stop on Rout 66 with a bunch of truck drivers standing outside, that is the viewer's privilege to do so, but he or she would be wrong in that instance.   

It is human nature to deny what you don't understand, but it is human ignorance to say that the cat is white, when in fact, the cat is actually black.

Lack of knowledge, which is the definition of ignorance, leads to endlessness, whereas, in the current examination of the presented photograph there exists more than an adequate amount of knowledge to foreclose what one has thought to be an endless and open ended explanation for that day's events.

I suppose if one were to totally ignore entirely what has already been said, one could arbitrarily conclude that the tall individual is a represented of the British Sweepstakes who has traveled to Mr. Ackley's business address in order to deliver to Ackley a government cheque drawn on the national treasury in the sum of two million pounds sterling for the winning ticket in the British National lottery.  Now that is endless,.  .  .  ., but does anyone really want to go there?   

I should think not, we're all adults, I suppose.   Wink

C.M.M.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014 at 9:55am by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Long Range, I thought that was him, but wasn't sure. Most of the other photos of him that I've seen are when he was much older.

thanks, Sendaro

IP Logged

dibbler
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 7:41pm:
PO wasn't noted for anything single shot, muzzle loader or jacketed benchrest that I have come accross over the years. It was his high intensity cartridge designs that held him in high regard with the Hunting crowd and his years of teaching Gunsmithing at Trinidad by his students.

Ackley worked with the Sharps Arms Company of Salt Lake City, Utah in the late 1960's when the company was trying to produce a modern version of the Sharps Borchardt single shot. They produced 12 prototypes and then sold out to Colt.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
He sure did and they were developing an action for high intensity rimless cartridges that differed slighlty from the original sharps design. There is one currently for sale on Guns International in 30-06.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
In the back of my mind I think I remember reading that Lucian Cary died a Pauper.
Just had a quick look for one of his thin paper back books he wrote on the old gun slingers of the West but can't find it.
Very interesting reading if what he wrote was true.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2014 at 7:27pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

jonskorepa
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 12th, 2015 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I have a stevens 44 22lrf with a p o ackley barrel which is not removable prone rim fire set up stocks and a strange pistol grip modification added to the block lever. Shoots good just strange looking.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
I have a stevens 44 22lrf with a p o ackley barrel which is not removable prone rim fire set up stocks and a strange pistol grip modification added to the block lever. Shoots good just strange looking.   

You say that your rifle is quote: "strange looking".   I have to wonder just how strange looking it might be?  Is it really strange or just slightly on the odd side ?  If you would accommodate this question by posting a photo, or perhaps two, of the rifle that would most helpful.  Strangeness is not always a defect, just different.  Will you do it?
Dr.Maynard

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2015 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Strange adaptations on levers are plentiful, and often quite interesting! Seems that modifying the lever on an old single shot rifle was extremely popular, and owners had quite an imagination in some cases! 
I also would enjoy seeing another adaptation on a lever!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

6mmintl
Participating Member

Reply #23 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I think if you look at this post you will see one of the other gentlemen in the photo

Who's holding the Maynard?

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #24 - May 12th, 2015 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
  I don't see any Maynards, but, the third guy from the left looks like Harvey Donaldson to me.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #25 - May 13th, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  
6mmintl wrote on May 12th, 2015 at 4:09pm:
I think if you look at this post you will see one of the other gentlemen in the photo

Who's holding the Maynard?

I don't even see any gun?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 14th, 2015 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
There is a photograph of P.O Ackley on page 55 of my copy of Roy F. Dunlap's book on Gunsmithing. Second edition dated 1963. I'd post a copy of the page but my Scanner doesn't want to work. Cry  If someone else has a copy of this book would they kindly oblige please.
Harry

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #27 - May 14th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
This is a photo of P.O. Ackley of Trinidad, Colorado;

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #28 - May 14th, 2015 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
This is a photo of Lucian "True" Cary with his favorite gunsmith. Lucian Cary was the author of "True Magazine" and penned the J. M. Pyne stories that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2015 at 4:51pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #29 - May 14th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
This is another of Lucian Cary;

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3