Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Currently Showing at N.R.A. (Read 12685 times)
harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Currently Showing at N.R.A.
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Following on from the last thread, I would suggest that English is not taught correctly any more. To illustrate this point I suggest you look here at a British political Comedy and see how the Civil Servants talk. Apart from that it is incredibly funny.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Harry

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
  Ron --
          Are you available to come to the August Columbia Schuetzenverein Matches at Thurmont, Maryland.  We would like to meet you in person and have the pleasure of your company on that three day week-end of August 01,02, and 03 (2014).  Not everyone has the time to devote for a three day visit and not everyone cares to stay for three days, so they pick and choose whatever length of time is right for them.

There is a dedicated camping area with electric and water hook ups that will accommodate a large size motor home, a pull behind, a pop-up, or a wall tent or doom tent.  A  short walk will take you to a shower room and flush toilets and there are never lines to get in.

If the drive for you may be lengthy, why not consider bringing a friend to share the driving.  If he or she may not be a shooter, the property is adjacent to a navigable water way for fishing, canoeing, or kayaking.

The club's web site is ;

If I may help you with information about the Gettysburg battlefield or other attractions of interest close by, please feel free to send me a P.M. and I will either know or get the information to assist you.

Chris Christensen is our schuetzenmeister and a more knowledgeable fella you will not find who is willing to answer questions and share his knowledge of the shooting sports, gun collecting and machine work.  If you want to talk bullet lube, Chris is the "one stop" man to speak with.  Chris is a protege of Charlie Dell and he knows all of what Charlie did in the schuetzen game.

I make it my mini-vacation and again in October.

Thanks for listening

Webb
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2014 at 12:22pm by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
   Wanted to bring this really fine 1882 Maynard to your attention which clearly shows the '82 Hammer.

C.M.M.

And a Question for Deadeye Bly -- Have you ever had an occassion to send out a Maynard breech piece for case coloring, and if so would you mind giving a recommendation.

Also, were the original government contract carbines blued or case colored on the breech pieces?

Thanks, 
Webb
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2014 at 6:23pm by Gone Fly Fishing »  

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
CMM

Thanks for the invite to attend the Maynard gathering. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, I will just have return home from working at the NRA Smallbore National Matched in Bristol IN. It would of been enjoyable to meet you and the other members the enjoy Maynard Rifles. Would you send me an address so that I could Google Map the range  for directions. 

Thanks ron

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2014 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Webb, I've never sent one out for color hardening. The civil war contract gun frames were case hardened for service and not for beautiful colors as is the tendency today.  This is what many of them looked like. Some had more colors of course. I don't like to make recommendations but I've used Classic Guns in Illinois and another that does not do it anymore. I think Classics colors are too gaudy and I may try Wyoming Armory on anything else.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Quote:
   CMM

Thanks for the invite to attend the Maynard gathering. 

Would you send me an address so that I could Google Map the range  for directions. 

Thanks ron

Hi Ron  ---

The club property belongs to;

Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club
11617 Hunt Club Road
Thurmont, Maryland 21788

I don't have a GPS reference to give you, but will try to get one for future use.

The web site is    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The next match of C.S.V. after August, will be in October 2014.

C.M.M.

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Thanks CMM for the address.

ron

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Webb, here's another one. This one has more colors than the 1st one I posted. Each one was unique and the colors varied quite a bit.

IP Logged

Gone Fly Fishing
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 9:21am
Print Post  

Thanks John, really nice work.

Just as an aside, have you ever wanted to convert a percussion action to a 1873 or 1882 central fire action by following the Mass Arms methods and procedures ?

Could that be done by keeping the existing female threads in the standing breech and machining a male adapter piece with a firing pin and retractor coils spring ?

I have an action to work with !   

C.M.M.

IP Logged

dennis g
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Make it like a Snider setup.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Webb, that's not my work. Those are original guns, I just stole the pictures. and posted them to show you the original military finish you had asked about.

The way I see it the most difficult part about converting a percussion frame to a '73 or '82 would be cutting the square hole lengthwise thru the frame for the cocking lever. And, No I've never seriously considered converting one. I've always found '73 or '82 frames for my guns.

I've been asked to convert center-fire frames back to percussion also and I'm not interested in doing that either.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint