Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remington # 2 RB (Read 5490 times)
smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Remington # 2 RB
Jun 13th, 2014 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I picked this little # 2 up in .22 cal. for a net $229.00. 28" barrel, very good wood, no cracks, a little frayed in some places next to the tangs.  The rear sight is not original, not sure about the front. The bore and chamber are rough. It needs to be re-lined  All in all a good investment I think.
Opinions ???

Don G
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2014 at 7:57pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington # 2 RB
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Looks like an early #2 judging by the front of the receiver ring, so I believe the barrel should have the E Remington and Sons marking. The diamond inlay surrounding the forearm retaing screw I think is a "custom" addition.
For $229 , I'm thinking you did pretty good, and have left yourself room for a lot of possibilities.      Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Definitely early with a steel forend cap. Any #2 that's as complete as yours Don is a great buy at that price. Considering how they've climbed in value, it's close to half price I'd say.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
All in all a good investment I think. Opinions ???

Don, depending on the overall NRA Antique Percentage condition, believe you did good for the Remington Model 2 Sporting Rifle
Condition Prices range from $600 (50%) up to $3500 (98%) and were produced between 1873  - 1909

* Google for links to compare condition to your purchase price
* The rear sight is not original - here's a link with pictures of the rear and front sights
* The diamond inlay on the forearm is not original
* It has a Straight Bar Extractor, not the rotary
Reline the rifle and have fun shooting it because it is not a high value collectible

I picked up one in 32-20: shot out bore and mismatch serial numbers.  Excluding the deficiencies, it is in 85-90% overall condition - I'm a shooter not a safe queen collector, so I relined it.  I lucked out on this one too.  If I told you what I paid for mine - they would put me in jail  Wink Oh heck, I need a vacation - 50 bucks!

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
At last November's Tulsa Gun Show I saw 4 or 5 #2's in about the condition of yours, and prices ran $800 -$900. There was one there for $725 and it was in extremely poor condition.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Dang, I should have held onto the mint one I bought for $50!

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2014 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dang, I should have held onto the mint one I bought for $50!

Yep - Wooda, Coulda, Shoulda - have bought this SAA Colt with the Ainsworth cartouche and holster & belt that was offered to me for $500 ...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Yep. I bought a mint #2 years ago and gave a whopping $500 for it. I traded it to a friend for a nice Winchester High Wall. He turned right around and sold the #2 for $2200. His gain, my loss for kk=not knowing how desirable they had become!
I found another #2 on Auction Arms later in .32-20. A pretty decent gun, and a brand new seller who listed it incorrectly as a "#5 Rolling Block in .32 RF". A few email questions determined it was not the caliber he listed, and I ended up getting it cheap, as only one other person knew and didn't bid me up too far. They can be found reasonably, but most of them get to knowledgeable gun people, and then they never go cheap again.

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 14th, 2014 at 10:54am:
Considering how they've climbed in value, it's close to half price I'd say.

Easily ...       NICE score sir!

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint