Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dating Stevens Model 44 (Read 101606 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Dating Stevens Model 44
Reply #120 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Yes, I believe you are correct.  Another member contacted me with info on it.  I know nothing about these old scopes and knew it had no manufactures name on it, but it does have range markings along wit X-8 which I assumed was power only.  But now I understand it is a lower end Winchester scope from that time period.  Looked up Winchester X8 on the internet and the photos there are the same as mine.  I’m learning from all of you.   Thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2020 at 1:23pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Lefty665

Reply #121 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but would like to add another model 44. # 66,817. It is marked 44 and 66,817 on the lower tang behind the trigger, and the serial number is also stamped on the underside of the barrel just in front of the forestock.  25-20 is stamped on the left side of the barrel with the following stamp on the right side of the top of the barrel:
TRADE MARK                (medium print)
STEVENS                     (large font)
REG US PAT OFF & FGN (small font)
I have seen one other marked like this, it was in an auction, but it was stamped on the left side of the receiver, That serial # was 71,008. (It's on gunauctiondotcom ASSRA won't let me include a link)

My gun has a 24" barrel with the first 8" octagonal. It is approximately 3/4" in diameter at the muzzle and 1" where it joins the octagonal section. 6 o'clock extractor, MSA Co leaf sight on the barrel and a MSA co tang sight on the top tang. There is a small circled I stamped on the receiver. I would describe the case colors on the receiver as rippled as opposed to mottled. 

From discussion on this forum as well as doing a linear extension of serial numbers and years of production it seems likely this was an early 20's gun from not long after Savage bought Stevens. If anyone can shed more light on that I'd like to know. A question, if records were destroyed in the late teens, why are there no production records from after that, and especially after the purchase by Savage?

My dad recalled hunting groundhogs with this rifle as a kid in the early-mid 30's. He also impressed on me that ammunition for it would be very hard to find. Too bad, he said it shot very well. 

Hope I've added a little something useful to the model 44 data.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:10pm by Lefty665 »  

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #122 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Hopefully, someone will come along and make another run of 25-20 SS brass (or even just the basic). Are you listening Starline? The basic is straight;-)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #123 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Lefty665

I think yours falls just before the Savage takeover, unless Savage's management shipped some rifles without the Stevens diamond on the left of the receiver.   First s/n I have that displays that feature is 69258.   

Pics of the "MSA" sights would be appreciated.

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #124 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:26pm:
Hopefully, someone will come along and make another run of 25-20 SS brass (or even just the basic). Are you listening Starline? The basic is straight;-)

Amen, amen, amen.  

The guys who own Lovell rifles would also appreciate it.

<div class=

IP Logged

Lefty665

Reply #125 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Sep 23rd, 2020 at 9:51pm:
Thanks, Lefty665

I think yours falls just before the Savage takeover, unless Savage's management shipped some rifles without the Stevens diamond on the left of the receiver.   First s/n I have that displays that feature is 69258. 

Pics of the "MSA" sights would be appreciated. 

Thank you. I thought the Stevens labeling was curious, and not much like the references to others I saw. There's no location, A & T or specific patent references, and nothing on the receiver itself but the small circled I. Might this help narrow the serial number window of the Savage take over?  Seems likely there's about a year+ between those serial numbers. 

I'll try to get some pics of the sights and post them. In the meantime, the rear sight looks like [url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marbles-W1-Winchester-1894-94-Automatic-Flexible-Joint-Rear-Tang-Sight-screws/114419762906?hash=item1aa3f306da:g:Q4cAAOSwNU9fZ4~W this [/url] It is marked MSA Co Gladstone Mich and Pat Oct 20/03. The leaf sight is much like the one on the picture link in my first post, except simpler. The elevation adjustment is a small screw fixing the vertical V notch, and the V itself folds flat. It would be a pain to adjust in the field.

Oops, sorry I couldn't make the hyperlink work right, but the URL is there.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2020 at 11:53pm by Lefty665 »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #126 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Marbles.  Of course.  I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to sights.   Get a pic of that barrel rollstamp, too?   Sounds like nothing I have seen before.

<div class=

IP Logged

Lefty665

Reply #127 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Will do, but again it looks just like the one on the side if the receiver in the first link I posted. Except, of course, that it is on the barrel.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #128 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
The barrel rollstamp should look like this:  If it doesn't, that's what 
I want to see.  I have seen six different barrel stamps, four of which are very unusual.   Sound like you have another oddball.

Stevens sold rifles in England which have different markings.  Maybe other countries, too.  I know precious little of the details.   

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #129 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I'd like folks to start thinking about this, too:   When did the coil mainspring feature appear?  Scanning online auctions as I do for data there's no opportunity to find out.  Anyone who has a coil spring model, I'd like to know the s/n for the database.   

Thanks!

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #130 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
HAH!  Waitaminit!  I do have specimens logged with the barrel stamp you describe.   67032 and 67866.  Your 66817  has the same text on the left side of the receiver?  These other two do not. Now I want to speculate that all three fall in the period after WW1, just as Savage was taking over, and before they regularized with the barrel stamp I just posted.  Which implies that the end of production in 1915 falls at lower numbers than I've been assuming.   
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2020 at 10:22pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #131 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
The 1920 and later catalogs,(Savage owned Stevens) only list the model 44 rifles as available in rimfire,the 25-20,and 32-20 are no longer listed. Also,the barrels are listed as full round.I wonder if Savage used up and assembled A&T surplus parts into rifles during the transition?
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2020 at 10:25pm by Sure shot »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #132 - Sep 24th, 2020 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Very likely.  Pre-war barrels with the Stevens A&T stamp show up as high as 72718, on frames that are clearly Savage-era. BUT they're all .22s.  Lefty's would be the last s/n I have in any  centerfire chambering, except there's a .25-20 s/n 70765 that has the "J.Stevens Arms" barrel stamp.  Special order?   

My head hurts.

<div class=

IP Logged

Lefty665

Reply #133 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Hah! Yes that is the same barrel stamp I described. No, that stamp appeared on the receiver of a higher numbered gun I linked to in my earlier post. Mine has no receiver markings other than a very small circled I (is that a proof mark?)

Sounds like that makes mine, and the other two with the same stamp and similar serial numbers, post war, 1919 or 1920 mfr before April Fools day when Savage took over.

I'm curious, why you believe it is pre Savage as opposed to shortly after they took over? If I were Savage I might have liked that simple, low information logo stamp as an indicator of change while I was figuring out how I was going to market the Stevens line. If I was Stevens before the sale, why spend money on a new logo that would be changed by a new owner?

A linear extension of serial numbers over production years is a little more than 2,400 guns a year. That would place my gun in 1923. But, we can be sure that production was not linear, early years and post 1929 years would be lower, and some well established prosperous years higher. There would have to be a lot of very good pre WWI years to make the 66k-67k serial numbers prior to 1920. 

FWIW, I collect banjos and there are good serial number records for Vega brand production from the 1890s forward. The 1920s were very good for Vega and remarkably consistent at about 5k per year.  Volume, as expected, fell precipitously starting in 1929. Dunno if that is relevant to Model 44 production or if it is worthwhile to look at Vega pre 1920 production perhaps as an indicator of general economic conditions. Vega numbers from 1900-1920 were consistent, approaching 1k per year, but with 1914-1915 being about half other years. Dunno if there's any correlation between banjo and rifle sales (other than gun sales going up as more people took up banjo Shocked), but Vegas are solid manufacturing numbers from the years in question.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #134 - Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:20am
Print Post  
From the end of the war until Savage took over Stevens was still owned by Westinghouse, who would have had no use for the company since the opportunity for war profiteering had vanished. What may have gone on in that year of 1919 is anybody's guess, but it must have been somewhat chaotic, what with converting all the machinery and tooling back to civilian production.** I want to think that in that interim someone commissioned that rare rollstamp, perhaps thinking of a future which never came to pass.  After 1920 it was discarded, perhaps at the behest of the new Savage management.  

Would be interesting to learn how Stevens shotguns were marked in that period.  

**I've been in the thick of it when GM and Ford powertrain plants have retooled.  It's still a case of managed chaos, and it takes as much as a year to accomplish!  

As the data fills in, I'm now pretty sure that the period from 1903 to 1915 was boom times for the 44 family.  It looks as if they built about 50,000 rifles in that 12 year span.  Compare to about 15,000 in the seven years from 1896 to 1903.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2020 at 7:46am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Send TopicPrint