Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My very first Winchester (Read 20948 times)
Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

My very first Winchester
Jun 6th, 2014 at 12:38am
Print Post  
My pops invited me to the Northwest Regional up at Spokane this year, shot up a bunch of his ammo and had a great time. Was nice to shoot with my dad again. 

Well to make a shorter story, along came Friday, and along came a fellow named Tony who brought along some very nice rifles for sale. I got done shooting my 22rf targets and dad grabbed me and said hey come look at this! People were gathered round and dad(westerner) and Gary Miller were telling me about the rifle talking about Otto Bremer, triggers, checkering and what not. I really was paying no attention, all i was thinking was how to get the money asap before someone else snatched it up! I have been admiring, drooling over, and wanting a nice 1885 for 24 years, since I was 11 years old. 

A lightbulb went off and i remembered i can go down to the post office and get Money orders! I told Tony Heitz I'll take it. He said ok with a smile and I walked away about ten feet and turned right back around and walked back to Tony to seal the deal with a handshake. No negotiating, I just wanted it. Told Tony that id go get some Money soon as I helped post some targets. Finally I got what I wanted before someone beat me to the punch!

Tony waited another day for the last bit of Money, and I thank him kindly. He is a first class person all around. 

And thanks to dad for tellin me to buy it ;)

DSC_0014.jpg ( 456 KB | Downloads )
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg ( 405 KB | Downloads )
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg ( 304 KB | Downloads )
DSC_0015.jpg

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My very first Winchester
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Nice score! That's some very interesting checkering.

IP Logged

Jerry_H
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Congratulations, you bought a really fine rifle. I saw it at the ISSA Schuetzenfest in Modesto. If I would have had the $ you never would have seen it.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Jerry_H

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:27am
Print Post  
John, how did you get that rifle to balance on that 2X4:question.

Nice rifle!

First chance I got, snuck the rifle down to my trailer and tried some bullets in it with a simple plug seater. 
Sure enough had a bunch of bullets that fit.

Joe

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:46am
Print Post  
John,
Thank you very much for showing the pictures of your new rifle.

You have a very special rifle there and I hope I get to see it each time I shoot at Spokane.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Thanks gents, I'm sure glad dad let me have a crack at it first Jerry. It's funny Jerry, even when I have plenty of money, I am a day late. Unless you well overpay that's the way it is.

Stockerman, that is a hallmark of Otto Bremer, the San Francisco smith of the late 1800's early 1900's. I don't know much about him, I'm sure dad and some others will chime in. There are no bremer marks, but all the evidence together I have to assume it is his. It's a very cool ol rifle. My favorite feature is the matted barrel. It's as I understand a winchester factory matted half round half oct #4 barrel! How cool is that?!

Win midrange vernier tang sight, windgauge spirit level front, winchester or ballard I am not sure.

John

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Dad there is a crack in the board you can't see. It was stable. Gabi took the pics, what you can't see is my hand 6 inches from it poised like a cobra!

You're welcome Mr. Elliot, loved that you had a Borchardt there. I LOVE Borchardts!

I'll post a few more pics shortly. Workin on my work bench right now, but I'll be back  Smiley

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 2:22am
Print Post  
more...........matting

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle, nice styling, Etc., until the last picture of the barrel matting. "How dey do dat?". Really spectacular and does not look rolled. Might could do it with CNC today, but not sure in about 1900. You and the "Old Man" did good.
Chuck

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle, it was getting allot of looks at the Modesto ISSA Regional and as you stated Tony is a Gem of a guy. 

Congratulations on your purchase.
JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 10:04am
Print Post  
John that is an absolutely beautiful rifle.  I would have been unable to resist buying it Smiley.

I hope you enjoy it and that it shoots very well for you.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Chris.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
This is a pic of it's older cousin;
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2014 at 12:31pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
You are real "Lucky" John; I saw it before you.
I promised my wife I would not bring another rifle back acrosss the border. And I love caressing HighWalls.

She is in nice shape.

Good shooting and remember to never sell her.
You would always regret it later.

So what are you buying Gabby now that she approved the purchase?

It cost me a quilting machine for the right to purchase firearms.

Dave
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:28pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave! Don't reckon I'll ever sell her. Hopefully one day when I'm lookin forward to the next life I have someone to give it to.

Gabi I'm guessing will claim my ballard that is being re barreled over at Steve durrens right now. Or maybe she'll want a Louis Vuitton purse or something! She likes ballards and stevens. I think she likes the elegance of a Ballard most of all. I just have to keep buying, trying to reach my goals and she can have whatever she wants then!

My goal has always been to have 7 of each of the single shots I grew up around. 1885, 44 1/4, ballard, hepburn, borchardt. Each one in the 7 major calibers, 22, 25, 28, 32, 38, 40, 45. Prob need a cpa for the 45. Goofy ideas I have always had!

Not likely that I will ever achieve my goal, and if I do it will be a very long time coming. These were my dreams as a kid. I still want the same thing, just add rolling blocks and sharps sidehammers to the list.

If y'all weren't such a great group of people Dave, Gabi may not have enjoyed shooting so much, so thanks to all for that.

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2014 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
For those wondering, dad gave me some andela bullets try in the rifle the night I bought it. I got her sighted in and shot a 5 shot group with it. While holding at 12 o'clock at the top of the red, she put all five into a 1 1/4 inch group! The charge was a generic load of 13.5 grains of 4227 and a bullet I believe was 195 gr, a bit long but it did much better than I could have hoped for. Since then I have been absolutely giddy!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint