Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens 44 Walnut Hill (Read 5813 times)
tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Stevens 44 Walnut Hill
Apr 9th, 2014 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Here is the newest single shot that I got at Tulsa. Have been trying to find one of these for many years and they are few and far between. Missed one a couple of years ago, the fellow in front of me bought it. It has an original windage adjustable tang sight and a lyman folding front sight with an ivory bead.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Re: Stevens 44 Walnut Hill
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Tbird- Congratulations on your find - real nice rifle.
Am curious - would you post a picture of the front sight with an ivory bead?

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Nice custom work. Waiting for one to be shipped that I recently bought on Gunbroker. They are scarce but out there. This is my 3rd one. Great shooters.

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I was wrong about the front sight, I got my magnifying glass out and what appears to be an ivory bead is instead a polished top of the front sight. I have no idea how you would polish something so small. My eye sight is getting irritating when I sometimes have to wear a pair of glasses and a magnifying loop to see with.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

Redwing
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 10:46am
Print Post  

Hey T-Bird !!!

Yep, getting old "Suck's" !!!  I've carried a Loop in my pocket for over thirty-year's and when I pass, I want it to go with me !!!

Finger-Nail polish come's in many color's and dry's very well... Try it on your F-S Bead !!!

Good Luck !!!

Ed...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Redwing wrote on Apr 10th, 2014 at 10:46am:

Hey T-Bird !!!

Yep, getting old "Suck's" !!!  I've carried a Loop in my pocket for over thirty-year's and when I pass, I want it to go with me !!!

Finger-Nail polish come's in many color's and dry's very well... Try it on your F-S Bead !!!

Good Luck !!!

Ed...

Same here Ed! I have a little magnifying glass that folds into an attached leather case. My father carried it for as long as I can remember, and after he passed I got it. I've carried it since 1989, and it's saved my bacon at gun shows when I thought my eyes saw something, but the glass proved different!

PS-Beautiful Stevens T-bird!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Tbird - sounds like you have the Lyman copy of the original Beach Combination Sight
Beach's patent expired in 1891. Lyman in 1891 then introduced their copy, the No. 5 Combination Sight with no mention that they copied Beach's original patent combination sight

IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I think you are right about the front sight. The rear sight is another matter. It is windage and elevation adjustable but I cannot find the exact one in my old gunsights. book. It is a crude adjustment by just unscrewing the eyepiece and the sight moves up and down and left and right.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 11:34am
Print Post  
tbird1960 wrote on Apr 11th, 2014 at 10:47am:
I think you are right about the front sight. The rear sight is another matter. It is windage and elevation adjustable but I cannot find the exact one in my old gunsights. book. It is a crude adjustment by just unscrewing the eyepiece and the sight moves up and down and left and right.

What you have is often referred to as a "Gallery" style tang sight. The basic adjustment style made them tough to fine tune, as every time you loosen the eye cup to move it up or down, it can also move right or left. Trying to keep them all just snug enough to move, and not lose the other setting can be frustrating. But they are a very traditional old sight, and found often on early singles. I've got 5-6 old Ballards with a similar Gallery tang sight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint