Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens 44 & 1/2 at the 50 yard line in Texas Wind (Read 2867 times)
Amanda

Stevens 44 & 1/2 at the 50 yard line in Texas Wind
Mar 22nd, 2014 at 12:08am
Print Post  
I took Dale's old rifle to the range today in Southeast Texas. Typical March weather, cloudy and windy. Gusts were left to right looking at the targets, often 30 to 40mph with lulls every so often (pathetic for shooting a .22 for group, in my opinion). I use RWS Target Rifle to get my twenty-two's sighted in for the 4 different ranges in Rimfire Metallic Silhouette. I usually end up using Eley Edge or Midas+ to shoot the matches, but the RWS is good enough for elevation card work with a Unertl, and much cheaper than Midas+. At the expense of a heavier trigger, I am good on ignition now, after I cranked up the mainspring tension screw. The little rifle is quite accurate from the sandbag. Considering the windy conditions with little sun, I was fairly proud of two of my groups, shot when I could get a lull in the wind. Let me know how the attached pics look compared to what you guys are getting from your 44-series rifles in .22LR. I have nothing locally to compare this rifle with. It gets a lot of admiring looks and fondles at the range, but nobody yet has known what it is, even when I offer a box of free Eley if someone gets the guess right. The regulars just ask me where my 40-xb or 52B is hiding. I guess they think I have regressed to the 1800's.
Comment welcome. The targets are standard 50-yard Small-bore Rifle Targets. I am looking forward to some calm days at 100 and 200 yards to see how tight a group I can get with this one  Shocked
Thanks....Kerry

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 & 1/2 at the 50 yard line in Texas Wind
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2014 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I said they were accurate. I still have the factory receiver sight on mine. I don't have a big target scope like yours but I have a period Lyman 438 and a couple of period Stevens scopes stashed away. I need to dig one out and see how mine shoots with a scope.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint