Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dan Fraiser Highlander .22lr deal or no? (Read 7146 times)
thatoneguy82

Dan Fraiser Highlander .22lr deal or no?
Mar 12th, 2014 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I have a line on a Danl Fraser .22lr Highlander, it appears to be a factory action with Italien proofs and good color case hardening/ blueing, but the previous owner butchered the stock. I think I can salvage the butt stock by setting the action back in it a bit but the foreend is too narrow. Bore is good, and metal condition is good as well. The gunshop is asking 225, I talked them down from 250, is this worth bothering with? I understand they are hard on sears and firing pins but I can make something out of HSS to replace them. Where are we at here?

Thanks in advance for the help

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Dan Fraiser Highlander .22lr deal or no?
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Hello 82,

If I am correct, your rifle never saw Scotland or the inside of any Scottish gunmakers shop. I understand it was developed in South Africa and was sold in either kit form or as a fully finished rifle. There were problems and the company was either moved to, or was purchased by a company in Italy. Frank DeHaas wrote a short piece about it in one of his books. To say the least, he wasn't impressed. He too had problems with the firing pin from the first round he fired. The venture was a flop, the design was somewhat radical and didn't find favour anywhere. I believe one or two ASSRA Members have one but more as curiosities rather than a good shooting rifle.

As for price and condition if it didn't need repairs to the mechanism and the stock $225.00 is a bit much for a rifle that isn't much use or have any collectors value. Just my opinion of course and you know what people say about those.  Undecided

Harry

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Well, my opinon  Wink, for what it is worth, is that I'd love to find one of these for $225! I'd hurt my back getting my wallet out fast enough.

They do have some issues, but the design is very elegant and the sleekness of these just appeals to me; great squirrel/plinking "stalker".
I would only want one in 22LR. I suspect there are a lot more real and potential issues with the 22 Hornet versions. Unfortunately, many of these were sold in kit form to people who had no business trying to put them together, and especially to many who should not have been allowed anyhwere near an unfitted/unshaped stock  Cry. Yours sounds salvagable, and even the fore-end is probably OK. The classic British/Scottish stalking rifles that this was supposed to emulate, had very small fore-ends that I find attractive. Too many nimrods on this side of the pond have to have unnecessarily big, ugly, bulbous fore-ends that make most single shots look like some sort of aborted sea cow.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Frank deHaas wrote a scathing critique of these when they were new.

<div class=

IP Logged

thatoneguy82

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I have seen the De Haas article referenced, I am mostly wondering if nyone has been neurotic enough to try fixing issues with rifles they personally own. I am getting it and hope to be able to find enough rimfire ammo to wear out even an inferior rifle., but I expect any issues that manifest can be remedied.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Yeah, a local shop has one in Hornet. Cute, but broken, and still $895!

IP Logged

Reg

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 12:22pm:
Frank deHaas wrote a scathing critique of these when they were new. 

As I recall that critique got Mr. deHaas in a law suit BUT-- he won it.  That should say something.

IP Logged

thatoneguy82

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Well this stick is in my posession now, and it turns out indeed to be a kit gun, it looks like it was a reject off the line because the front sight it out of time a few degrees.  Took it to the range and tried seating a round in the chamber only to find that the chamber hadn't been cut either, and the place that sold me the rifle stressed that it was sold "as is", so $100 later I now have a chamber reamer and go/ no-go gauges. The extractor needed fitting because it was an interference fit even though it was numbered to the receiver. I can't see anything in the hammer/ sear design that screams poor design, but quality is another thing.  The sear notch in the hammer is deeply grooved with a polished high spot that the sear interfaces, so I might see about having a new set EDM'd out of some good quality steel.  I also intend to remove the sear rebound spring that sits at about a 45deg angle pushing up on the nose of the sear in favor of a flat spring that depresses the tail. When its all done it should be a good woods walking rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Is the sight off, or did someone just screw the barrel on and not index it to bring the sight vertical? Might need to face the mating surface on the barrel slightly and then screw it back on, or does it not have a threaded barrel mounting?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

thatoneguy82

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
The rear sight is timed fine, and the top flat of the barrel lands where it should, but the front sight was improperly installed. You can see scribe lines on either side of the front sight base which must have told the worker where to solder the sight on.  The FSB sits perfectly between those lines, they just happen to have been put in the wrong place. So far I still think it is worth what I paid for it, it just needs some love.

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
The one I had was like a guillotine for unwary fingers when you closed the lever.
Would not recommend buying one of these unless it feeds and extracts ok or you are able to fix the poor quality and design faults of the action yourself.
A pretty little rifle made in Italy except for the stock which a local stock-maker did for me.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2014 at 10:00pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

StrawHat

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 7:37am
Print Post  
I would love to find one, especially at a fix it up price.  I like the looks of the original Frasers but prefer a rifle more in scale with a rook rifle.

Hope it works out well for you.

Any unshared knowledge taken to the grave is wasted.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Joel Black

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2014 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
They were designed by the late Thad Scott. His mistake was to trust Armi San Marco to make them. Instead of having it blue printed, Thad sent them a beautiful handmade sample. The biggest problem was the angle of the firing pin when it had to be altered from rimfire to centerfire. Thad had to order a certain amount to get them made. When they arrived, it took Thad's gunsmith a very long time to get those in a usable state. Thad was so disgusted with the whole project that he would not buy any more.San Marco had precipitously continued making the components which ended up as "kits" at Cape Outfitters and Dixie Gun Works. If you ever come across one of the original batch Thad ordered and got in proper working condition, you will have a very nice modern rook rifle. As an aside,San Marco made so many of the sights for the rifles, that Sarco is still selling them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint