Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Found some cool bullets! (Read 2565 times)
SBoomer
Oldtimer

Found some cool bullets!
Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Posting this here as I thought you guys would appreciate the vintage aspect. I found these .22 cal bullets at a local gunshow this weekend. To cool to pass up @ 6$ box. The Wotkyn's Morse box says they were made by Smith's Custom Loads. This almost has to be the same Smith mentioned in Phil Sharp's book.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Found some cool bullets!
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post.  I really appreciate them. 

My guess is that both boxes date from the late 30s to 40s. Box on the right is the same Bushnell Smith as in Phil Sharpe's handloading book and Fred Ness' Practical Dope on the 22.

IIRC, Smith died in 1947.  My guess is that both boxes have some collector value, particularly the W-M bullet box.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Over the years I've found some old bullets in original boxes. Often I bought them from sellers who were selling them in a bunch of reloading supplies at prices marked for normal reloading supplies!
I picked up a box of paper patched 255 gr. .380" bullets for the .38-55 Ballard years ago, marked JM Marlin on the box, and in pristine shape. Always wondered how they sat somewhere so long without ever being loaded up!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
My pleasure sharing. I LOVE finding old stuff like this, that to me anyway, has special meaning. They were both in the "junk box" because of low content count. Same guy had an unopened box of old(green & red box)Rem 38-55's. I made an offer and almost cried when he tore off the end of the carton to open it. I also picked up a box of Brenneke 7mm TIG bullets....the old cupro-nickel clad ones. Guessing they are from the same 30's vintage.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
These are in my garage, I think they're from the early 50's. They're marked $2.50, I think my father bought them at Hollywood Gun Shop;

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I know that my Will may never have the opportunity to leave a Pope or Schoyen to anyone..... but I can make sure to leave each kid a Wotkyn's bullet!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2014 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Mar 3rd, 2014 at 1:24pm:
Same guy had an unopened box of old(green & red box)Rem 38-55's. I made an offer and almost cried when he tore off the end of the carton to open it. 

I've had guys do the same thing before I could stop them! I don't know why they tear them open, when a sealed box indicates everything inside is as it left the factory. I've also nearly had people open boxes of ammo or bullets I had displayed with guns at our collector show, even with "Do not Touch" signs all over!
Here's a few of the old boxed bullets I've accumulated. Bottom is the JM Marlin paper patched 255 gr. .38 cal. Right above it is a box of Winchester 165 grain bullets marked for Marlin .32  To the left of that are some very strange Rem-UMC bullets in .30 cal-160 gr. that are marked "metal cased bullets", but the metal is bright and silvery like the color of lead! To the far right are Rem-UMC .38 S&W "sharp shoulder" bullets of 120 gr. They've never been opened, and I've always wondered what "sharp shoulder" bullets look like?
There's some more Win .30 caliber, and a box of .348 150 gr. bullets that say "soft point" but unopened. I have a box of those Sisk bullets also in .224 41 gr. marked "Super Lovell".

I accumulate old primers also, and have a variety of old boxed primers too. One old box says "US Navy Gilding Primers" and is unopened, and I've wondered what the terminology means? Have a old box of Win. #4 primers that say they are "Marked W" on the primer. Fortunately that box is open, and indeed the primers have a "W" on them, and are divided by wood in each row!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint