Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 44 .25 Rimfire Action-What is it good for? (Read 5092 times)
Amanda

44 .25 Rimfire Action-What is it good for?
Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Can the .25RF model 44 or 44 & 1/2 be rebarreled and used for a .22LR or .22 WMRF? 
Thanks!
Amanda

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 44 .25 Rimfire Action-What is it good for?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
They are a direct interchange with the .22 rf except for the extractor.  Reline or rebarrel, weld up the extractor, and you're set to go.  Might have to reshape the firing pin tip slightly if it's rounded or shaped, but it will normally work.

dave

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 12:19am
Print Post  
You could re barrel or reline to .22 LR, .22 WRM, or .17 HRM. The .25 firing pin may work fine with the .22 WRM and the .17 HRM. I have 44's re lined to both.

IP Logged

butch lambert

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I bought parts from Wisners to convert mine.

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
It's also good for shooting .25 Stevens RF. See the June 2010 Single Shot Exchange for how to do it. SSE has back issues available.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Butch what was your friends reaction when you presented to him.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I took apart a .22rf and a .25 rf stevens 44 today, switched breechblocks and fired a .22 with the .25 block.  The extractor even worked.  Here's what the fired case looked like.

dave

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave. I was not aware of that. Good to know. Always learn something new here.

IP Logged

Amanda

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 12:13am
Print Post  
SSDave-
Thanks for the picture. How would I go about relining the barrel to .22LR? I have heard of liners, just wouldn't know if I could just buy a liner, install it and be done with it, or if it requires lathe or mill work.
Thanks!
Amanda

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Go onto the Brownell's site.  They have an instruction sheet for relining rifles that should allow you to gauge your capabilities for the job.  You can do it with just a few hand tools (and an electric drill) if you are careful and patient.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
If you have the skill and knowledge to chamber and headspace a rifle barrel in the lathe, you can do the liner with hand tools.  If you don't have that skill and knowledge already, you're not going to learn it easily doing it by hand.

It's possible, but not particularly recommended to do the work without a lathe.  Getting the hole hogged out and a new liner in is possible with a hand drill and a piloted bit.  However, once you are to that stage, you still need to chamber and headspace the liner.

The chambering and headspacing of any barrel is infinitely easier to get done on a lathe than with hand tools, and will be a lot better job when it is done.

I think I've seen more botched up liners than any other home gunsmithing job, with the possible exception of rechambering an existing barrel to a larger cartridge and maybe removal of a separated case.  The liner jobs that aren't hidden at the muzzle (mark of a good professional) usually don't have a good chamber either.

dave

IP Logged

Amanda

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
ssDave-
Do you know of a smith that does liners regularly? Most I've ever done is finish chamber a Garand barrel. Don't know one end of a lathe from the other.
Thanks...Amanda

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
John Taylor who posts here (johntaylormachine.com) is very good with liners, he has posted recently that he is backlogged with work and not taking on more at this time.  You might contact him and have him do it when he is able.

Curt Hardcastle, who also posts here (hardcastlecustommachine.com) is very meticulous and could also do this work well.  Steve Durren, at Johnson Sporting Goods in Adrian Michigan does excellent work and could do it.  John King, in Kila MT, could also.   

I haven't had as good of experiences with Randall Redmann, although he is was for years the classic relining guy.  I have one rifle done by him about 20 years ago, it's been okay but the second rifle I had done at the same time was less than stellar.   

I personally think that for almost all rifles except those with very special barrel profiles or markings, that rebarrelling is a better option, and almost as economical.  It's also a lot lower risk; it is rare for a good rebarrel to not shoot well, but not all liners will shoot up to the level of a good barrel.

dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint