Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) schuetzen history book???? (Read 7182 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: schuetzen history book????
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Londons "blustery" style helps me form a mental picture of what it was like or could be like back then. The days before television, telephones and computers. The people were out there for a good time together. Fun to read and imagine what it must have been like. Makes good mention of loads and equipment.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 7:32am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 7:19am:
Joe,  maybe in my old age I've confused the dates Roll Eyes---I'll have to go back and check that context.  I may have that totally wrong------clearly need more coffee this morning.

yep!  got the dates wrong Sad---the London article were Pre-earthquake   went back and deleted my previous post. Thank you for the gentle correction Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Or you could be a "Noodlehead"    Grin Lips Sealed

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #17 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 11:36am
Print Post  
This is a pic of the Berkley ferryboat on display in San Diego. I believe this is the same boat that carried the shooters and revelers across the bay to Oakland where they boarded a special train to Shell Mound Park.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Schuetzen festivals have often been referred to as the "super bowl" of the early 1900's! These were THE sporting event of the era, and gathered huge crowds of shooters and spectators. Looking at old photos of the crowd you see families all dressed up, as the occasion was a very big event for everyone. Not many other sporting events of that era drew such crowds, nor paid such prize money for the winners.
Top professional shooters were making enough money competing, and doing exhibition matches to not have to work a regular job. When I think about this great period of shooting, it saddens me I was born too late to see it first hand!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
They had all sorts of other activities associated with them, including concerts, drinking & dining (at several economic and social levels, along with dancing. Some even had bowling tournaments as an organic part off the fest program.
I think a lot simply depended on space and facilities and organizational skills of the host group.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 1:36pm:
They had all sorts of other activities associated with them, including concerts, drinking & dining (at several economic and social levels, along with dancing. Some even had bowling tournaments as an organic part off the fest program.
I think a lot simply depended on space and facilities and organizational skills of the host group.   

In Eric Von Stroheim's 4-hour epic Greed of 1924, the main characters spend Sunday afternoon in what appears to be a real Schuetzen Park (can't remember the name), not a movie set, but what they're doing are the "other activities," not shooting, or even watching shooting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint