Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) schuetzen history book???? (Read 7165 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

schuetzen history book????
Feb 25th, 2014 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
IS anyone aware of a book that gives a history of the American Schuetzen "sport" as it evolved from an ethnic emigrant sport to one of the largest "cash" sports  (exceeded I believe only be horse racing and prizefighting) and then suddenly appeared to collapse during the years of WW1?

I know that there are various articles and a few books that have touched on aspects of it in a piecemeal manner.   I'm trying to find the most comprehensive account available.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Re: schuetzen history book????
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I bet Rudi would know.

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Great question...
I'd probably buy a copy of a book like that!
Well, assuming I could afford it.

Paul F.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
That would be a great book. A couple of articles have covered to some degree and a couple in bicycle mags have stated that the only sport that rivaled attendance at bicycle racing on board tracks prior to the turn of the 19th century was shooting.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
At one time Schuetzen shooting was more popular than baseball, and (if you were a good shot) more profitable. Get ahold of Laurie Gapco, the ASSRA archivist, and ask for a copies of "The Rifle in California" by Philo Jacoby, as well as "The Schuetzenfest Articles" by Jack London, don't forget Chris Westergaard's articles and I'm sure there's more. It might be a good idea to combine these various articles into one book!  Wink

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Schutzenbob wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 6:39pm:
At one time Schuetzen shooting was more popular than baseball, and (if you were a good shot) more profitable. Get ahold of Laurie Gapco, the ASSRA archivist, and ask for a copies of "The Rifle in California" by Philo Jacoby, as well as "The Schuetzenfest Articles" by Jack London, don't forget Chris Westergaard's articles and I'm sure there's more. It might be a good idea to combine these various articles into one book!  Wink 

Also some of Roberts' pieces in the Rifleman, but combining unrelated sketches such as these wouldn't produce the kind of comprehensive cultural history that was originally suggested.  No explanation is needed for its collapse during & after WW I.

Never knew that London wrote on this subject, though he was a reporter in his early days.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Try this link for London's Schuetzen articles. Mike

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Redsetter wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 6:56pm:
Schutzenbob wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 6:39pm:

Also some of Roberts' pieces in the Rifleman, but combining unrelated sketches such as these wouldn't produce the kind of comprehensive cultural history that was originally suggested.  No explanation is needed for its collapse during & after WW I.

Never knew that London wrote on this subject, though he was a reporter in his early days. 

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:47pm by MIKE-T »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
MIKE-T wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:27pm:

Well, this is interesting, but I'm afraid I don't get what it has to do with Jack London.  Or is there a joke here that I've missed?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Ned Roberts book  "the Schuetzen rifle" and his book " The Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle" Hope I got those titles correct. Also Gerald Kelvers books. Might find good information in Phil Sharps books.

Dutchers Ballard book. Three German rifle books by Rowe. The American Percussion Rifle book by Rowe. 

Just to name a few.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Try  these;
Gerald Kelver - Schuetzen Rifles, history and Loadings
Major Ned Roberts - The Schuetzen Rifle
Gerald Kelver - Single Shot Rifle Notes- Yesterday 
And Today 

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
In 1901 Jack London was a sports writer for "The San Francisco Examiner" which was a newspaper owned by William Randolph Hearst. The "Schuetzenfest Articles" were written by Jack London. The Examiner paid London $200.00 for writing the ten articles, which was a sizable sum of money.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Open the link and it takes you to Jack London’s Schützenfest Articles written in 1901, thought it would be of interest to some, I enjoyed reading them.
Mike 

Redsetter wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:52pm:
MIKE-T wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:27pm:

Well, this is interesting, but I'm afraid I don't get what it has to do with Jack London.  Or is there a joke here that I've missed?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Schutzenbob wrote on Feb 25th, 2014 at 8:37pm:
In 1901 Jack London was a sports writer for "The San Francisco Examiner" which was a newspaper owned by William Randolph Hearst. The "Schuetzenfest Articles" were written by Jack London. The Examiner paid London $200.00 for writing the ten articles, which was a sizable sum of money.

Good God, I wouldn't have thought London capable of writing in such a blustering style, though if he were working as a sports writer, I guess he would have had to become an expert in balderdash.  So is "Louis Engelke" or whatever the name was, his pen name for that paper?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 7:07am
Print Post  
The big SF shaker was in 06. Did you reprint articles written after 06? Were they written by Jack London also? If so would like to read them. 

Have read the 01 account several times. Never get tired of it.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Joe,  maybe in my old age I've confused the dates Roll Eyes---I'll have to go back and check that context.  I may have that totally wrong------clearly need more coffee this morning.

yep!  got the dates wrong Sad---the London article were Pre-earthquake   went back and deleted my previous post. Thank you for the gentle correction Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint