Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 28-30 Ballard Pacific (Read 5690 times)
RonJonUSN

28-30 Ballard Pacific
Feb 25th, 2014 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Some pictures of a Ballard with a Stevens barrel.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 28-30 Ballard Pacific
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Goodness Gracious, What a beautiful rifle! My favorite of engraving on slightly faded color casehardening. Are there any engraver's marks?
Chuck

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:53am
Print Post  

The engraving is beautiful. Very nice rifle. 
Hey, anchor clanker, Semper Fi
Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
It's gorgeous, but most likely did not start out as a Pacific model, as the Pacific Ballard was a straight grip frame, and yours is a PG frame.
I love the fact it's got a Stevens rebarrel, as I think it adds to the uniqueness of the gun!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RonJonUSN

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
It's gorgeous, but most likely did not start out as a Pacific model, as the Pacific Ballard was a straight grip frame, and yours is a PG frame.

I agree it probably did not start out life as a #5.  Although, PG Pacific's do exist, however scarce.  (Dutcher)  Marlinguy, what would you say happened here?  Could it have been rebarreled from a #6 Schuetzen or possibly a special order #8?  Stevens probably replaced the barrel in early 1900's.  The frame, breech block and the Swiss butt plate have matching serial numbers. And I think the DSTs are original to the block.  It has been restocked for sure.  Would like to know more about this rifle.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I think it might be a tough one to categorize in a particular model. If the lever doesn't match, then it most likely came from a Pacific or another DST model. Some other models like #2 and #4 used the Pacific style lever when special ordered with DST blocks.
The engraving looks very crisp, and a little deeper than what I've usually seen on Ballards, and I wonder if it was "touched up" during a restoration? It does look like the style I see, but I usually can see metal displacement where borders were stamped, and not engraved. All those little upside down heart shaped figures were a stamp the engraver used, and often done by an apprentice on the stamped part. Marlin used a combination of engraving and stamping borders, so when refinishing the engraving gets all cut, or if polished it loses the raised edges around the stamped portions.
There are several engraved PG models, plus the ability for a customer to add engraving to other PG models, so tough to say what it started out as.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RonJonUSN

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your thoughts.  Someone surely put a lot of effort into restoring this one, but I never thought about the engraving being re-cut.  I'll just enjoy it for what it is and not worry about it's original pedigree. 

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Someone can correct me, but that engraving is different. It has had the background removed and lowered. A difficult and time consuming procedure. Background is normally just matted or beaded. There are engravers on the forum that could explain it better, but excellent engraving that deep is rare.
Chuck

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
If you look at the critters you will notice they are not "of the period". Critters back then were styleized in the time period. These are a modern cut with modern critters. So its pretty easy to rule out a 6 1/2. That leaves us with a 6, 8, 10. 10's were pretty late in production so its probably not that. 6's were factory engraved as this mostly has but then there is the light buttplate. Thus making it an anomily. A #8 that was specially engraved and non rebated may be in the running. Again an anomily. Check closely on that buttplate to see if it is Marlin numbering.
It is what it is today and thats a very pretty rifle.
   Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint