Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic low wall question (Read 1847 times)
tdelewis

low wall question
Feb 24th, 2014 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
I was looking at the Winchester site and they show 3 Low wall models.  Two of them have blued receivers and sell for 1499 and 1599.  They are much like the Winchester and Browning that are modern reproductions.  The third one has a case colored receiver and looks much like and Italian reproduction.  They have it listed at 1014.  Does any one have information on this.  I am looking for an engraving project.  I have not purchased a new one because of the location of the serial number.  It would look a lot better engraved if the serial number was on the tang like the originals and not a long string of numbers on the side.  Does any one know anything about the case colored one they show on the Winchester site?

IP Logged

firearmdoc

Re: low wall question
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
My assumption would be that the s/n is going to be on the side of the action regardless of whether it is colored or blued. That being said,if you are looking for an action to engrave, I would purchase the blued one. If the colored one is cyanide hardened, it will need to be annealed before engraving. 
Either way the action should be stripped of finish and polished properly before any engraving begins.

Jesse

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
tdelewis wrote on Feb 24th, 2014 at 12:05pm:
I was looking at the Winchester site and they show 3 Low wall models.  Two of them have blued receivers and sell for 1499 and 1599.  They are much like the Winchester and Browning that are modern reproductions.  The third one has a case colored receiver and looks much like and Italian reproduction.  They have it listed at 1014.  Does any one have information on this.  I am looking for an engraving project.  I have not purchased a new one because of the location of the serial number.  It would look a lot better engraved if the serial number was on the tang like the originals and not a long string of numbers on the side.  Does any one know anything about the case colored one they show on the Winchester site?   

The only low wall model available that I'm aware of is at the following link
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If you are looking at the Historic Firearms section, these are no longer available.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:00am
Print Post  
If the OP is looking for a 'project', would suggest looking at Gunbroker and Guns Int'l, etc., and find an original Low Wall for his project. Will then have something worth the effort when completed. The originals are not truly "reproductions" as they very different animals 'under the skin'. Am thinking the value of the new model Low Wall, due to its very different internals will likely not appreciate like an original will.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

tdelewis

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I have engraved a cyanide colored single action.  It was not hardened, just colored and it engraved easily.  I check Gunbroker daily.  Any that is see there, it seems that the prep work always appears to be too extensive or the prices too high.  I have been reading about the originals and understand the differences.  I keep watching the for sale items on this site as well.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I see very little in the way of project Win. 1885 guns or actions on the internet auctions that would be even reasonably priced. Most go way too high for me.
If I wanted a project I'd put a WTB ad here, or keep looking in the for sale section here, or at local gun shows.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint