Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic front sight adjuster tool (Read 1953 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

front sight adjuster tool
Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Has anyone out there designed a nice front sight adjuster tools for octagonal barrels? If so I'd like to see your design.

My hammer and brass drift are a pain when trying to adjust for a hundredth of an inch.

thanks,

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: front sight adjuster tool
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
I like this kind. Once my fixed globe sights are centered where I want them, adjust windage with the rear sight. Rifle with no windage adjustment use Kentucky windage. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Joe I have been thinking of exactly that kind of adjuster.  Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
On advice from an older shooter years ago I have adopted his sight adjuster. He uses cast bullets and small brass hammer. It is too easy to have a miss using a brass drift and damage a sight. Many are made of relatively soft steel and easily damaged. Where with a cast bullet all you will damage is the bullet itself. Sometimes with a tight fitting sight in the dovetail I will remove the top section so that there is less chance of doing damage. After all we are just the caretakers of these precious treasures. We need to keep them in as fine condition as possible for future caretakers. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Take a piece of 3/8" thick mild steel, 2" square or less. Drill out the center w/ a new metal hole saw, enought to put the barrel thru. Drill tap the sides 1/2-way up for BRASS #12 screws to hold the barrel (mine have flats against the barrel or are custom made). At height for the sight - each side - drill tap for 10-32" long set screws. That and an allen wrench and you're in business.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint