Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Seating (Read 15028 times)
Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Breech Seating
Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Yet another newbie question.  I think I understand what breech seating is, but my question is..........is it required to breech seat in a Hepburn or can one just load a cartridge and fire away?  Roll Eyes

Chris
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech Seating
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
It will go bang either way. Since I don't do Breech Seating I will let the experts here explain it.

IP Logged

firearmdoc

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
You do not have to breech seat in a Hepburn. You can use fixed ammo if you choose.

Jesse

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Hepburns are extremely versatile and user friendly. Have breech seated, muzzle loaded and fired fixed ammo in one of mine.   

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:54pm:
...can one just load a cartridge and fire away?  Roll Eyes

I get the impression that's what Remington intended owners to do with all of their cartridge guns.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
After all this is a schutzen website; This is my favorite breech-seater, it's a concentric seater that fits into the chamber and uses a button on the side of the barrel for leverage. Essentially it's a plunger that presses the bullet into the rifling just ahead of the chamber. This one happens to be for a Ballard.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2014 at 11:57pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2014 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
This is a Russ Weber breech-seater for a Winchester; it locks into the slot for the breech block, then uses the link to push the bullet into the rifling ahead of the chamber.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2014 at 1:12pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Correct, Bob.  Almost forgot the ASSRA and it's forum have a strong base in Schuetzen competition.

When requiring the utmost in accuracy for SS BR matches, breech seating the plain base bullet, is the only way to have a chance.  Muzzle loading a close second and fixed a distant third. 

Hunting and many BP matches require fixed ammo. Used to shoot with Jerry Tinker, he breech seated bullets while in the prone position with a Greener Martini 45-70 in BP midrange matches. If you can manage it and have time, breech seating is always superior.  Muzzle loading is fun but try to find someone loading that style. Have been chided by competitors for muzzle loading in matches.  They're jealous, lol.

Joe. 

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I knew nothing of breech seating when I was guided to this site.  I had no idea it was so accurate.  That's something I'd like to  try some day.  You guys are the worst kinds of enablers!   Grin

Chris
IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Remember, that breech seating does not work with jacketed bullets.   Ledball

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 8:34am:
I knew nothing of breech seating when I was guided to this site.  I had no idea it was so accurate.  That's something I'd like to  try some day.  You guys are the worst kinds of enablers!   Grin

Try it right away. It's so easy a monkey could do it. I do it.

Joe. 

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 10:25am
Print Post  
About the only type of shooting sports that used/uses breech seating (other than naval and other very heavy artillery) is the American "schuetzen" shooting. 
The European shooters did not seem to do it. 
Even in America it fell out of favor in America when "schuetzen" matches died out-for a number of reasons.   
      It was resurrected when ASSRA was formed in the late 40's and a number of  old schuetzen-style techniques were reintroduced and institutionalized in the Association rules to create a "modern" shooting match venue for single shot rifles.
As mentioned it adds a significant extra margin of accuracy that is especially advantageous in bench rest shooting.  However it also adds a time/handling factor.  It works in ASSRA matches where we have pretty much unrestricted time limits.  In other match shooting sports the relay time limits might present a problem (in addition to any rules requiring "fixed ammo").
   When shooting offhand breech-seating can add extra rifle handling motions adding to the fatigue-factor in long 50 or 100 shot matches.
  One also has to consider the probability that most offhand shooters have inherent "angle of dispersion" problems in their shooting "form" that will more than cancel out the mechanical accuracy advantages gained by breech seating.  Most of the top-scoring offhand shooters appear to be shooting fixed ammo.  {at least from what I have seen at the Etna Green matches|

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Chris where are you located so we can guide you to a Schuetzen match in your area. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 10:34am
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Feb 21st, 2014 at 10:25am:

When shooting offhand breech-seating can add extra rifle handling motions adding to the fatigue-factor in long 50 or 100 shot matches.
  One also has to consider the probability that most offhand shooters have inherent "angle of dispersion" problems in their shooting "form" that will more than cancel out the mechanical accuracy advantages gained by breech seating.

Thank you for adding that, as I was going to inquire about any potentials for offhand use. When Paul throated my CPA he set it for fixed ammo, as I hadn't chosen a bullet yet, and told him I was building it for offhand/vernier sight use. 

Now that I have a good bullet, Paul will re-throat it to that bullet for me. But Paul also opines that a throated rifle will also shoot fixed ammo just fine. Do you all agree with that?.

I shoot offhand exclusively (less load dev) and have a load shooting sub-MOA @ 100Y (4 thru a ragged hole and a flyer outside ... , load was bench tested with a 20X ext adj scope). As long as throating it wouldn't hurt that 'fixed' potential, I'd sure like to try my hand at breech seating. Thoughts?

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Extra stress caused by breech seating? No, not buying that, well, maybe if you're really old and weak and....... your bottle of oxygen is running low.......maybe.

Breech seating bullets was done way back as long as single shots have been used for target shooting. A man named Chase did it with paper patched bullets at Walnut Hill way back when. German/American style target shooting waned during the war years. Along with it breech seating bullets. 

"angle of dispersion problems" huh?  

It's been a long cold winter.  

Joe.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2014 at 11:00am by westerner »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint