Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Seating (Read 15040 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Breech Seating
Reply #45 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Very well put Randy and I would only add that the inconsistent / uneven neck tension of the cartridge case supporting the bullet is an additional detriment. Chris without going back to re-read if this has already been mentioned when breach seating the only part the case plays in the scheme of things is to just simply hold the powder charge. The bullet when seated is generally a minimum of .030 beyond the the mouth of the case or further based on personnel preference and or overall performance.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #46 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 8:47am
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Feb 22nd, 2014 at 11:15pm:
ChrisC
To get back to your question of why breech seating is more accurate than fixed, I'll take a whack at explaining it. With fixed ammo, the expanding powder gas pushes the bullet from the cartridge case and through the throat before it engages the rifling. Even thought only slightly, the bullet base gets distorted before engaging the rifling, plus the distortion is never perfectly consistent from shot-to-shot. When breech seated, the bullet is already into the rifling ahead of the throat and perfectly concentric with the bore. Not having to make the jump through the throat, the not distorted breech seated bullet travels a more consistent (accurate) trajectory to the target.
Make sense?
BTW, Joe, that target is a nice clean 250. WTG

Thank you.  That was exactly the explanation I was seeking.  I guess that's something I'll have to try if I ever have the good fortune to own one of these beauties.

Chris
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #47 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 8:48am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Feb 23rd, 2014 at 12:19am:
Very well put Randy and I would only add that the inconsistent / uneven neck tension of the cartridge case supporting the bullet is an additional detriment. Chris without going back to re-read if this has already been mentioned when breach seating the only part the case plays in the scheme of things is to just simply hold the powder charge. The bullet when seated is generally a minimum of .030 beyond the the mouth of the case or further based on personnel preference and or overall performance.

JLouis

Thanks for the addendum.  That also, was something I wouldn't have known.

Chris
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 8:52am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 22nd, 2014 at 10:40pm:
Maybe a word of warning is appropriate at this time. 

When you finally acquire your Hepburn and accomplish the very tough and illusive 250, Your status will sore. The lovely Schuetzen groupee chicks come out of the woodwork.  Best to leave the spouse home and keep a tight lip if you think you may score the big one. Be careful what you wish for is all I can say. 

In my case everything worked out for the best. By the time I scored my 250, was so old and decrepit the chicks took little notice. 

Joe.   Smiley

Thanks for the warning, Joe.  The spouse wouldn't waste her time going to the range with me.  Hates everything involved in this hobby.............can't figure out what it is that interests me about it!  Still young enough  "groupies" might be a problem, (only 69)  but I don't stray.........never have and never will.  Besides, I just married my little wife last June.

Chris
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Chris, if you keep an eye out for a good used rifle you can get into this pretty cheaply.  One of my most accurate rifles is a Ruger #1 with a Ron Smith barrel in .32-40 set up for benchrest shooting.  It's not as much of a looker as some of the originals, but I bought it for under $1000 without a scope.  It shoots quite well when breech seating with a plugged cartridge case as a seating tool.

Chris.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #50 - Feb 23rd, 2014 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks, but I've never done well trying to "buy up".  Seems I lose money on most everything I try to sell.  I do best when I just wait and buy what I want...............which, in this case, is a Hepburn in .38-55.  May never accomplish that, but that's my goal.

Chris
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint