Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Breech Seating (Read 15036 times)
Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Breech Seating
Reply #30 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Okay, guys.................since I started this mayhem, tell me if breech seating is more accurate than catridge loads...............and explain why! Grin  I'm serious, because I honestly don't know. Undecided

Chris
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
One does give up some accuracy with fixed vs breech seating BUT not necessarily that much. I recently ran a test to see what I could get out of fixed ammo in my Ballard 32-40. I rigged up my modern interpretation of a Pope double rest to eliminate as much human error as possible (double rest rig shown below). The target below shows how well the fixed ammo shot at 200 yards. As this was my first outing with fixed ammo for that rifle, I did not take the time to compare against breech seating but that rifle is a known performer and I have been shooting it breech seated exclusively for about 15 years. Yeah I know the target only has 8 holes in it, that's all the fixed ammo I had with me for my test that day.
Given the ISSA rules of 3 minutes per shot, fixed ammo may prove, for me, the be an viable alternative, especially in a 50-shot match. We'll see . . .

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #32 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
If you had breech seated the bullets, that target would have scored 250, easily.

Skalkaho timed my shots last summer at the Bitterroot match.  Think he said I was getting off a shot every 1.5 minutes. Was taking my time using one case and a plug seater. Lots of time. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #33 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 22nd, 2014 at 6:33pm:
If you had breech seated the bullets, that target would have scored 250, easily.

Joe. 

Why?

Chris
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Randy are you talking about using the fixed for the offhand portions of the national even as was being was being discussed or also for benchrest work. 

Chris there are only a little more than a handful who have shot 250's in a sanctioned benchrest match
and they do not exist in offhand. Joe's comment made it sound as if it might be a common occuriance simply by changing to breach seating and nothing could be further from the truth.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
John L
I am testing to see if it's worthwhile to shoot fixed for offhand only. That particular rifle is used for offhand and while I appreciate Joe's confidence that had I shot that target breech seated, it would have been a easy 250, it ain't necessarily so. I've never been able to shoot a 250 with that rifle. Perhaps I could shoot a clean target off my double rest but while the Ballard No.6 stock is great for offhand, it's hard to manage for bench rest shooting.
Now I have managed to shoot a couple of 250's in sanctioned competition with my dedicated bench rest rifle . . . but that's another story.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #36 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Here is what you might accomplish when breech seating. Fixed will be much much harder. The target was shot off sand bags same as used in a match.

Joe.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
The difference being shooting 250's in a match. Shooting them in practice can become quite common but that is a completely different ball game. 

Randy I knew you were talking about offhand, I wanted you to clarify it on both Joe and Chris's behalf and I thank you for doing so.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #38 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
For me, knowing my bullets will go where I expect them to is a huge confidence booster when shooting OH.   

Somebody explain to Chris why BS'ing is more accurate. 

Joe. 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #39 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Chris C wrote on Feb 20th, 2014 at 8:54pm:
Yet another newbie question.  I think I understand what breech seating is, but my question is..........is it required to breech seat in a Hepburn or can one just load a cartridge and fire away?  Roll Eyes

So we all know what the original question was.

Joe. 

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 22nd, 2014 at 7:59pm:
Here is what you might accomplish when breech seating. Fixed will be much much harder. The target was shot off sand bags same as used in a match.

Joe.

Wow, Joe, that's impressive.  Is that 100 or 200 yds?

Chris
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #41 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 9:33pm
Print Post  

Joe.

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Well, I'm doubly impressed.  If I ever win the lottery and get that Hepburn I dream of, I'll certainly consider breach seating.  (now where did I put that darned ticket............?) Grin

Chris
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #43 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Maybe a word of warning is appropriate at this time. 

When you finally acquire your Hepburn and accomplish the very tough and illusive 250, Your status will sore. The lovely Schuetzen groupee chicks come out of the woodwork.  Best to leave the spouse home and keep a tight lip if you think you may score the big one. Be careful what you wish for is all I can say. 

In my case everything worked out for the best. By the time I scored my 250, was so old and decrepit the chicks took little notice. 

Joe.   Smiley

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
ChrisC
To get back to your question of why breech seating is more accurate than fixed, I'll take a whack at explaining it. With fixed ammo, the expanding powder gas pushes the bullet from the cartridge case and through the throat before it engages the rifling. Even thought only slightly, the bullet base gets distorted before engaging the rifling, plus the distortion is never perfectly consistent from shot-to-shot. When breech seated, the bullet is already into the rifling ahead of the throat and perfectly concentric with the bore. Not having to make the jump through the throat, the not distorted breech seated bullet travels a more consistent (accurate) trajectory to the target.
Make sense?
BTW, Joe, that target is a nice clean 250. WTG
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2014 at 11:29pm by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint